Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To make a long story short: I have the money to do what I've always wanted to do in creating a monster rig. The specs are in my sig.

Not mentioned there are two things:

1. I plan on water cooling the CPU and the three 480s, with CPU and the GPUs having their own loop. Pretty much top end stuff, if I can help it.

2. I want some big OC's for my CPU and the three GPUs.

Looking to go 4.4-4.5 GHz on the i7 980x (dunno if it can be pushed further, that just seems to be the norm), and pushing my GTX 480s to 910/1820/4400 MHz (core/shader/mem). Potentially higher, but I figure that should be a fairly safe bet (I hope), given the reviews and specs I've seen with those cards on water.

So, with the components listed below, and the OC's desired in mind, will this Silverstone ST1500 1500W be enough to power everything? If not, is there anything more powerful than this one?

I'm pretty sure it'd be fine without the OC's, but I just wanna make sure it can also handle the OC's that I want.

Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
YOu don't need a 1500w psu, go with an Antec TPQ 1200, it can actually pull 1700w from the wall and power an Sr-2 and 4 GTX 480's.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by WTHbot View Post
YOu don't need a 1500w psu, go with an Antec TPQ 1200, it can actually pull 1700w from the wall and power an Sr-2 and 4 GTX 480's.
this.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by WTHbot View Post
Well of coarse it CAN, but the guy that was doing that was on a suicide run with that thing. I would go for that Silverstone 1500w, although like one said you can do it with a 1200w, it will just be maxing out the psu all the time.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Willanhanyard View Post
Well of coarse it CAN, but the guy that was doing that was on a suicide run with that thing. I would go for that Silverstone 1500w, although like one said you can do it with a 1200w, it will just be maxing out the psu all the time.
No it wasn;t a suicide run it was an actual test and it passed. It had it's protections turned off and he proved that it had alot more head room then it's rating showed.

Also, once again your over compensating. 850 is enough for an 980x with crazy OC's and a 2 GTX 480's. I'd assume any 1000w or 1200w psu will do fine.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Quote:
No it wasn;t a suicide run it was an actual test and it passed. It had it's protections turned off and he proved that it had alot more head room then it's rating showed.
One guy's test proves that the entire line of PSUs are capable of that?

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pash1k View Post

With the protections turned off yes they can. It also proved that while the protections are turned on it's not "Maxed out."

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pash1k View Post

when it is a proper and completely reasonable test, yes it is. just because you did not know that does not mean that other people don't know as well.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Nick already knew that the PSU was capable of that, he works for Antec and they do very extensive tests under numerous loads, including overloads.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies so far, guys.

While expense largely isn't a concern, and I like overkill, if a given component (like, say, the Antec TPQ-1200) can be used in place of what I have specced currently, and be stable through the OC's I'd like, then by all means, I'll welcome the $162 saved.

That being said, as much as I wouldn't mind saving the dough, I still feel a bit apprehensive about dropping down to a 1200W. If I'm actually able to achieve those OC's, especially for the 480s, that's going to be some serious extra juice that'll be needed.

While power usage will drop per 480 since I'll be water cooling, instead of the stock fan, it'll quickly go up when I bump the clocks up and do any necessary voltage bump.

Aggghh. Does anyone know of someone using an Antec TPQ-1200 with GTX 480 tri-SLI, i7 980x, that are both significantly OC'd?

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Allenssmart View Post
5970 crossfire beats gtx 480 tri sli and quad sli and uses less than half the power. go figure.
I want to believe this you got

Also OP, 1200W should be fine, save the money, you may need it

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Quote:

5970 crossfire beats gtx 480 tri sli and quad sli and uses less than half the power. go figure.
I don't believe this at all.

Reviews from when the card first came out may say so, but drivers have matured the 480s and 470s so much since then.

The 480 was around 5870 performance when it launched, now it's closer to a 5970 probably. The 470 was at 5850 performance, now it's at 5870 performance.

And if I was going to spend as much as this guy I'd want stable drivers updated often, not bad drivers released once a month that never fix anything. Hence why so many people are stuck on 10.4/10.5.

·
Probably sleep deprived
5,585 Posts
Quote:

post deleted, misread something
Its a shame thats not true from everything ive seen.
I might believe you if you have

Edit: what are the rest of the system specs used in that Bench?

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Confessed View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1Dsg2thgVI

For 3 way SLI you won't be limited by the PSU. If you plan on doing 4 way SLI ever, the Strider 1500w would be a good choice.
This
. Though I don't see how that guy gets 1700w out of a 120v outlet.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, guys. I've decided to give it a go, and bumped the PSU down to the Antec TPQ-1200.

Maybe I'll buy another radiator or something with the money saved.. can't let it go to waste!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts