Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I assumed they required tri-channel to function.

Obviously not as I am currently forced to run only two sticks out of my 3x2GB Patriot Viper due to one stick being faulty (RMA time tomorrow).

Apart from some slow post/boot issues, the system has been running fine with 2x2gb. Hours of BFBC2 - no problem.

So what's the reason for this 'taboo' about running anything other than tri-channel on the x58 platform?

Is it just simply that you loose out on performance?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rHy0 View Post

Obviously not as I am currently forced to run only two sticks out of my 3x2GB Patriot Viper due to one stick being faulty (RMA time tomorrow).

Apart from some slow post/boot issues, the system has been running fine with 2x2gb. Hours of BFBC2 - no problem.

So what's the reason for this 'taboo' about running anything other than tri-channel on the x58 platform?

You can lose out on a lot of performance, after seeing benchmarks in *SOME* games you get up to a 10 FPS increase.

Some don't make a difference, but you'd be stupid to give up a free 10 FPS.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rHy0 View Post

It's not required, it's the optimal configuration. You can run dual-channel systems with 1 stick or 1366 systems with 2 or even 1 stick totally fine. I don't think you loose out much performance with less memory bandwidth because tri-channel already has heaps and heaps of bandwidth even in dual channel. At WORST, it's going to be similar to a 1156 system

·
Premium Member
8,479 Posts
Damn I had a whole post typed up before my internet screwed up.

Anyway, the stigma associated with using dual channel RAM on an i7 setup is simply a result of a lack of education on the matter: most people believe that the X58 platform only accepts triple channel RAM, but its IMC can support single, dual or triple channel.

The performance difference between dual and triple channel RAM is very, very nominal. Even in applications like Super Pi, the difference is something like 1.4% between dual and triple channel. In something like 3D benchmarks, there's no difference.

Using dual channel is actually *slightly* better for overclocking, since it places slightly less strain on the i7's IMC, not that it'd matter on air or water, really.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by meticadpa View Post
Damn I had a whole post typed up before my internet screwed up.

Anyway, the stigma associated with using dual channel RAM on an i7 setup is simply a result of a lack of education on the matter: most people believe that the X58 platform only accepts triple channel RAM, but its IMC can support single, dual or triple channel.

The performance difference between dual and triple channel RAM is very, very nominal. Even in applications like Super Pi, the difference is something like 1.4% between dual and triple channel. In something like 3D benchmarks, there's no difference.

Using dual channel is actually *slightly* better for overclocking, since it places slightly less strain on the i7's IMC, not that it'd matter on air or water, really.
Really interesting and informative post. Thanks! +rep

I was wondering 'how much faster could this possibly be' when I got into windows. Huge difference already from my previous Q6600/775 system. The i7 930 isn't even OC'd yet.

So I guess I won't see much difference once I get tri-channel going after all then. Guess I'll be able to judge for myself anyway.

Thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Well, you'll see an extra 2 GB of RAM, at least, so maybe superfetch will work a little better or something.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
you can run dual channel ram on x58, just like you can run single channel ram on a p45 board, although you lose performance.

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skillzero
View Post

You can lose out on a lot of performance, after seeing benchmarks in *SOME* games you get up to a 10 FPS increase.

Some don't make a difference, but you'd be stupid to give up a free 10 FPS.

Dude I think that's crazy talk. No way you can gain 10FPS with extra 2 GB ram

1 - 10 of 10 Posts