Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am bored and want to add some hard lines into my build and make it look more pleasing to the eye. I am curious what you guys think about these two different setups, aesthetically wise. One of them is a parallel loop, which is different than most, but works just as well as a series loop.

I put the parallel design together and modeled the series design based off someone who has the same case as me. In order to get 2x360mm to fit I have to have the ports on the bottom of the front rad. If i do it, the fans will be out of place and be blocked by parts of the chassis.

The series design is modeled after this reddit posters build: https://www.reddit.com/r/watercooli...tivating_cobalt_first_time_watercooling_ever/

I did try a couple other designs, i.e. flipping to rad so the ports are at the front, though this would not make the rad line up with the vents. About 5% of the rad's heat exchange would be obscured by the solid case panel, if I did it this way. I can't move it further forward as the cables would block it. If anyone has any ideas further designs, I am all ears.

Edit: I have 2 other options listed below, the 3rd one has some limitations, which I listed in the 4th's option post. I would list them up here, though his new forums is less than user friendly compared to the old one.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
you could turn the front rad so inlet/outlet are at the top to try shorten the runs generally lest tube = cleaner out lay

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I guess I could do that, if I cut out some of the horizontal supports that make the case a little rid. I think the rad and the fans help adds the rigidity back. I would have to cut out the metal pieces or I would have a bar going in front of my HD-120 fans. The metal on this is not as thick as other cases, though the tempered glass is 1mm thicker than most. I would take the thicker metal over the thicker tempered glass any day.

It is hard to make something custom/unique as there are only so many ways you can do that.

Here is an upload of a Parallel Version 2 w/ 360rad given a 180 so the fittings are up at top. It does save money on fittings and pass thru fittings:

Edit: Just realized the lack of basement now

Attachments

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
That looks so much cleaner and simpler the case doors make most of the rigidness well does for the NZXT 820

·
Not New to OCN
1,745 Posts
Personally I would go with the last option but run from the GPU to CPU to top rad in series. Then you're not routing from the bottom of the GPU to the top rad.

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So I did some measuring with a caliper last night and found out that I do not have enough room or at least I would be cutting it close for option #3. I currently have only 35mm between top of case and top of rad. As mentioned I could slide everything down and still have srew holes, but that only gives me 41mm total. If I mount it so the top fan top is not fastened, then that gives me 16 instead of just 6, though I would still be short at the rad is quoted as 30mm, though closer to 27mm with calipers. So that would leave me -1mm of space, it also means that I would have the front three fans offset to the bottom, so that might look weird.

I do have a couple more options:

4A) Go with Option #3 and "meshify" the front panel by replacing the tempered glass with mesh on the front. This would allow me to mount the fans on the front of the case and give me a lot more room.
4B) Rotate front rad 180, so the inlets are at the bottom of the case and do pass thru in the basement
4C) Go with Option #3 and run 360mm w/ 2x 120mm fans. This might look odd, though will still have some passive cooling via the radiator.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Dam I always have found that with a lot of cases that advertised to accommodate....... them go to fit radiators impossible I am guessing your tank ends are quite large.
would mounting the fans on the opposite side of front radiator give you any more room ?

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dam I always have found that with a lot of cases that advertised to accommodate....... them go to fit radiators impossible I am guessing your tank ends are quite large.
would mounting the fans on the opposite side of front radiator give you any more room ?
They are as big as any water tank. This more of a design flaw and the lack of testing to see if it would fit as sold. I am guessing in the newer version they limited the top rad to 280/240 to prevent the issue I am having. There is no way you can fit 2x360 w/o having to mod the case or put the radiator in front of the fans, which defeats a big reason to have this case.

I already removed the rivets from the 3.5" holder and bent it so I could get better air flow and possible mount the inlets nose down. I think I can get it that way, though I still run into the problem of how to make this look good. I am thinking I might have to meshify or put two wholes in the top of the basement to feed the water lines going into the bottom rad. I might mount both of them next to each other, behind the rad.

I am hoping someone might have some crazy cool idea I haven't thought of yet.

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I finalized what I am going to do, I ordered some rigid tubing and RGB fittings. I think RGB can look good w/o looking tacky, you just can't have Unicorn vomiting.

It is a wierd mix of hard and soft tubing, if the soft up top doesn't look good I can always add more hard fittings and bend more tubing.

Attachments

·
Moderately Ancient
369 Posts
If all you care about is looks, go with parallel. If you care about cooling, go with series. Why? Because coolant will take the path of least resistance and will likely have much less flow through one of the components when compared to a serial setup. Less flow usually means higher temps. Only way to partially overcome this is a very high flow rate

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is a series version of the same loop, might go with 4 bulkhead fittings, instead of 4, still on the fence about that

Attachments

·
Banned
3,726 Posts
there seem to be a lot of opinions here about parallel loop design.

http://www.overclock.net/forum/61-water-cooling/1573189-serial-vs-parallel-9-6lpm.html

http://www.overclock.net/forum/61-water-cooling/1615072-cpu-radiator-upgrade-water-cooled-rig.html

http://www.overclock.net/forum/62-peltiers-tec/1651377-full-system-tec-cooling.html

now you have the option of going with the opinions of others, who have never built a parallel water loop, or you could ask one of the only people that have actually built them. one of the first things that I would like to point out, is that in all of your parallel loop designs, you have paralleled the components, but not the radiators, this is a bad parallel loop design. in all of my builds, I have both the components, and the radiators, in a parallel configuration with each other. by doing this I am able to achieve 9LPM, to 12LPM, on all of my water loops, with two D5 pumps.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
If all you care about is looks, go with parallel. If you care about cooling, go with series. Why? Because coolant will take the path of least resistance and will likely have much less flow through one of the components when compared to a serial setup. Less flow usually means higher temps. Only way to partially overcome this is a very high flow rate
For the amount of components he has there would nearly 0 difference between parallel and series. Unless he has the most restrictive components 2 blocks in parallel arent going to do anything to affect temps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts