Overclock.net banner

Thoughts on Canon 400D, 450D, 1000D?

1155 Views 26 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  GoneTomorrow
I am looking at getting this camera which currently costs £245 at Amazon. It is a budget DSLR and seems to be well received.

If I am to get it, I won't really be able to get lenses for it for quite some time and even then I will not invest in expensive lenses either. I don't do much zoom stuff. Just simple photos, landscape, macro, family photos.

What are your thoughts on me staying with kit lens for a while and only slowly progressing; the range of lenses available and also general comments on the A200 body.

Another option I could go for is getting a Canon body as I have 2 old Sigma lenses, one telephoto 100-300mm and another wide angle 24-70mm. For this I was thinking of looking at the 400D. Thoughts on that?

And final option...get a Panasonic FZ28 point and shoot bridge camera...well reviewed and covers the zoom range I guess...but a superzoom and small sensor 1/2.33" CCD just may not cut it for image quality.

EDIT : Topic has changed somewhat. I am now looking at a Canon camera. Thanks.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
You're right, point and shoot cameras, whether they call them bridge cameras, SLR-like, prosumer, etc. don't cut the muster when compared to DSLR. Their sensors are too small and they cram them with megapixels, making for a high pixel density and lots of high-ISO noise. Many are fine barring that, some actually have decent optics these days.

I think you should look to Canon or Nikon for a starter DSLR. The XTi (400D) is still a very decent camera, but I wouldn't pay too much for one. If you can swing it, try for an XS (1000D) or better yet an XSi (450D), it's a phenomenally better camera. The 400D comes with a notoriously bad kit lens (the EF-S 18-55mm non IS, the IS version with the XS/XSi is much better), so if you got one, try to see if there are other lens combo offers that don't include the kit lens.

If you go the Nikon route, there's the D40 or D60, they both come with very good kit lenses. The issue with these cameras is that they require AF-S lenses for auto focus capability, otherwise for other F-mount lenses it's manual focus only. To get a built-in AF motor, that means stepping up to the D80 or D90 which are quite a bit more in price.

And if you still want Sony, it's not necessarily bad, because they are compatible with the entire Minolta A-mount lens family, but Sony's sensors are infamous for having noisy high-ISO shots.
See less See more
I should have mentioned that my budget was £200-220 as I was going to get the Panasonic FZ28. And so I was willing to stretch to £245 purely for DSLR goodness.

Think I can get a Canon EOS 1000D for around £250 on eBay or am I just crazy?
The DSLR will be way, way better than any small-sensor camera even if its got a "crappy" kit lens - all a matter of perspective. I find the kit lenses, even the one that comes with the Rebel XT quite acceptable.

I've not used the A200 except in a camera store. It has a good feeling body for the price range, shooting is a bit sluggish and high iso performance isn't on par with any of the semi-current Canons. From a physical build perspective I'd rank it above the Rebel XT, from a purely functional perspective I'd rank the Rebel XT quite a bit higher. I wouldn't stress too much though as they are all so much better than P&S cams you'll probably be thrilled with whatever you get.
I think I will have to go the Sony way purely on budget and I can't comment if it is tight or not as my parents will pay for a lot of it and so they can choose the budget essentially. However, in economic instability its best to spend efficiently...what am I saying..?! I will keep browsing and reading up on the cameras.
Quote:


Originally Posted by SlickMeister
View Post

I should have mentioned that my budget was £200-220 as I was going to get the Panasonic FZ28. And so I was willing to stretch to £245 purely for DSLR goodness.

Think I can get a Canon EOS 1000D for around £250 on eBay or am I just crazy?

You might come close to a body only for that price, but it would be difficult. It's hard to get any DSLR beyond and older discontinued model for that price I'm afraid. DSLRs can be a real money pit.
See less See more
You could buy a body and then a lense later. Lenses on ebay are super cheap
Well I've decided to go Canon as I have two Sigma lenses already. I'm just having a little trouble deciding on which model. Is it okay to go with the old 400D? However, I am primarily looking at the 1000D. And finally, is the 450D worth the extra monies?
Personally I think the 450d but thats because that is what we have and really like it. The kit lense that comes with it is ok and you can do alot of the general stuff with it or use your sigma lenses. Also most places I see they charge allmost as much for the 400D as they do for the 450D so you may as well get the newer chips and more MP.

IMO I would stick with the 400 or 450 and try to get the 450 if you can but thats just my newb opinion. We went thru the same hemming and hawing when we decided to get the 450D, it was either that or the nikon but chose the canon in the end.
Slick, the 400D still holds its own, decent speed and noise performance. The one con is it's kit lens, which is notoriously bad. The 450D is worth every penny - faster, more resolution, WAY better image processing (incredible high ISO noise performance) and best of all, it has one of the best kit lenses any entry level DSLR comes with. Oh, and the battery life of the 450D is a major upgrade from the 400D (nearly twice the life for a charge).

So get the 450D even if it means saving for another month. If it can't wait, you won't be disappointed with 400D. Hell, a lot of people are still using the 350D and 300D and are perfectly happy.
Thanks guys for the replies. Much appreciated! Nobody has mentioned anything about the 1000D, is it not value for money or something at that price point and so I should get the 450D. However, I did say I was going to go body only for now and so I won't be getting the kit lens, that is the plan at least.

Unfortunately, GoneTomorrow I do not have a job as most of my days are spent at school and weekends are required for extra schoolwork especially with exams soon and coursework deadlines approaching.

My parents will be paying for the bulk of the camera, I guess I can try to convince my father that he could also benefit from a DSLR camera; he did buy these two lenses after all back in his amateur Film SLR days.
Are you still going to go to Jessops and try out your old lenses on the camera body first though yes?
Quote:


Originally Posted by ace8uk
View Post

Are you still going to go to Jessops and try out your old lenses on the camera body first though yes?

Yes, I will be doing that tomorrow, I will return and comment on what the lenses are like. Honestly, I think they are going to be awful but that is purely a guess.
See less See more
Quote:


Originally Posted by SlickMeister
View Post

Thanks guys for the replies. Much appreciated! Nobody has mentioned anything about the 1000D, is it not value for money or something at that price point and so I should get the 450D. However, I did say I was going to go body only for now and so I won't be getting the kit lens, that is the plan at least.

Unfortunately, GoneTomorrow I do not have a job as most of my days are spent at school and weekends are required for extra schoolwork especially with exams soon and coursework deadlines approaching.

My parents will be paying for the bulk of the camera, I guess I can try to convince my father that he could also benefit from a DSLR camera; he did buy these two lenses after all back in his amateur Film SLR days.

There is a very strong chance those lenses won't fit.
See less See more
Quote:


Originally Posted by SlickMeister
View Post

Thanks guys for the replies. Much appreciated! Nobody has mentioned anything about the 1000D, is it not value for money or something at that price point and so I should get the 450D. However, I did say I was going to go body only for now and so I won't be getting the kit lens, that is the plan at least.

Unfortunately, GoneTomorrow I do not have a job as most of my days are spent at school and weekends are required for extra schoolwork especially with exams soon and coursework deadlines approaching.

My parents will be paying for the bulk of the camera, I guess I can try to convince my father that he could also benefit from a DSLR camera; he did buy these two lenses after all back in his amateur Film SLR days.

Do you know what mounting system they use?
See less See more
They look like they will fit due to the fact that the Film SLR they were used with has those 8 pins, and according to Wikipedia to confirm the EF Mount lenses. So, yes they will fit. I'm just worried about the quality and if they will be worth using. I am to going to the store today anyway to try them on a body.
Quote:


Originally Posted by SlickMeister
View Post

They look like they will fit due to the fact that the Film SLR they were used with has those 8 pins, and according to Wikipedia to confirm the EF Mount lenses. So, yes they will fit. I'm just worried about the quality and if they will be worth using. I am to going to the store today anyway to try them on a body.

Good idea, take a memory card with if you can so you can see the shots on a computer screen. You won't be able to tell anything conclusive by looking at the camera LCD.

What are the exact models of the lens? Should say on the lens body or the front element. Have you Googled them? There might be info on using them on modern EF cameras.
See less See more
Well, I went to the store today and tried them on both the 450D and 1000D, my god they are nice cameras and my god so are the lenses I was very impressed.

GoneTomorrow, the models are :

Sigma 100-300mm f4.5-6.7 UC
Sigma 24-70mm f3.5-5.6 UC

I have Googled the lenses and I didn't really find much of use. However the lenses worked perfectly except for the 24-70mm which was a little dodgy with shutter priority and manual mode, spat out an Err 01. I had a look at the pictures on a PC and they were very good. I took most in ISO 1600 just to see the worst and it was very nice.

In conclusion, I think I am going to get the 1000D and I am considering getting the "Nifty Fifty" lens; 50mm f1.8 II. I hear its good, I will look up some more on it. In fact, do you think I should get the kit lens; 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS or the fifty?

I do envy some things about the 450D, like the 9-point Autofocus and sensing viewfinder usage and powering off the LCD but I can't justify the price for it.

Thanks all.
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by SlickMeister View Post
Well, I went to the store today and tried them on both the 450D and 1000D, my god they are nice cameras and my god so are the lenses I was very impressed.

GoneTomorrow, the models are :

Sigma 100-300mm f4.5-6.7 UC
Sigma 24-70mm f3.5-5.6 UC

I have Googled the lenses and I didn't really find much of use. However the lenses worked perfectly except for the 24-70mm which was a little dodgy with shutter priority and manual mode, spitted out an Err 01. I had a look at the pictures on a PC and they were very good. I took most in ISO 1600 just to see the worst and it was very nice.

In conclusion, I think I am going to get the 1000D and I am considering getting the "Nifty Fifty" lens; 50mm f1.8 II. I hear its good, I will look up some more on it. In fact, do you think I should get the kit lens; 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS or the fifty?

I do envy some things about the 450D, like the 9-point Autofocus and sensing viewfinder usage and powering off the LCD but I can't justify the price for it.

Thanks all.
You don't want the 50mm on a crop sensor as it won't be a 50mm. 50*1.6 (crop factor) = 80mm.

For mine I got a Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 30*1.6 = 48mm, which comes very close to the standard 50mm.
See less See more
Quote:


Originally Posted by SlickMeister
View Post

Well, I went to the store today and tried them on both the 450D and 1000D, my god they are nice cameras and my god so are the lenses I was very impressed.

GoneTomorrow, the models are :

Sigma 100-300mm f4.5-6.7 UC
Sigma 24-70mm f3.5-5.6 UC

I have Googled the lenses and I didn't really find much of use. However the lenses worked perfectly except for the 24-70mm which was a little dodgy with shutter priority and manual mode, spitted out an Err 01. I had a look at the pictures on a PC and they were very good. I took most in ISO 1600 just to see the worst and it was very nice.

In conclusion, I think I am going to get the 1000D and I am considering getting the "Nifty Fifty" lens; 50mm f1.8 II. I hear its good, I will look up some more on it. In fact, do you think I should get the kit lens; 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS or the fifty?

I do envy some things about the 450D, like the 9-point Autofocus and sensing viewfinder usage and powering off the LCD but I can't justify the price for it.

Thanks all.

Marin's right, whatever lens you have, you have to that "crop sensor math" and multiply the rated focal length times 1.6 to get the 35mm equivalent, although you're still really seeing the original focal length (crop sensors are smaller than 35mm film, which SLR lenses are designed for, so when they project the image circle onto the sensor, it's actually larger than the crop sensor, so you're seeing a "cropped" image that appears to be a longer focal length. Confusing; took me a while to comprehend).

That's good news that your Sigma lenses worked well. Care to post those shots?

And the EF-S 18-55mm IS kit lens is excellent and cheap (~$100 USD). If the Sigma 24-70mm doesn't work well (as you say), you may want to consider the 18-55mm, otherwise you may not have as wide of an angle with either the Sigma 100-300mm or the 50mm f/1.8. Something to think about.

And the EF 50mm f/1.8 mkII is an outstanding value for price. The EF 50mm f/1.4 USM is the upgraded version of that lens, but it's pricier, as is the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 that Marin is enjoying (both are in the $300-400 USD range, whereas the 50mm f/1.8 is under $100). Primes like the 50mm f/1.8 are good for super wide aperture shots when you want very shall depth of field (good for portraits) or low light hand held shots.

And you should go for the 1000D, it's an excellent camera. Sure the 450D is great, but the 1000D isn't shabby either.
See less See more
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top