Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking its time to trade out the Rosewill CPU cooler listed in my sig, I have upgraded just about everything in this rig at this point except that. I have looked at a whole bunch of possible replacements but I keep ending up back at the H50. the reviews seem to be pretty good from what I have read though it always seem to be mentioned that its not capable enough for overclocking use. I find that hard to believe given the temps I havee seen in the reviews. does anyone have any experience with it they could share? how good of a performer is it? A worthy buy for the price? Thanks ahead of time, sorry for any typo's, my phone's keyboard is going out.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I have doing research on heatsinks for about 3 weeks now for a i5 750. At first I was also skeptical on how the H50 would preform, but all the reviews of it and the amazing temps most people get with this I'm going to get it. To get some other heatsink as good as this, you would have to get a Venomous-X with 2 really good fans. That would cost you $60(heatsink)+20(fan)+20(fan)=$100(total) and you can get the H50 for $80. I was also scared the H50 would leak on me, but after reading many threads I found out only 1 has leaked so far and Corsair replaced his whole system. I hope I helped you on deciding if you want the H50 or not. (hopefully you do get it
)

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
It really hasnt done me any good. I have it push/pull exhaust. Q9550 E0 3.8 at 1.22V and Idle 29c load 71c

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
Not enough for that phenom. My buddy has the same chip running at 3.8ghz @ 1.5v and it loads at 62c in prime (large FFT). 45c idle

Good cooler? Yes. Is there better? yes. It will really come down to how much you really want to cool that chip, and what your budget is. Some air coolers can perform just as well, plus, the h50 get heat soaked in minutes, keeping the chip hot.

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by R1P5AW
View Post

What temps are you looking for??

Any better you'd have to be on full WC

Is that considered good? I thought it wasnt all that great...

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shizdan
View Post

It really hasnt done me any good. I have it push/pull exhaust. Q9550 E0 3.8 at 1.22V and Idle 29c load 71c

You probably shouldn't exhaust then. I'm running a hotter chip at faster speed with more voltage and I'm getting 35 idle/68 load with just a single weak NF-P12 as intake.

The Corsair H50 is awesome, its within 1-2C of the best air coolers, yet it runs quieter, is easier to maintain, easier to mount, and takes up less space.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
It's amazing. I have a Q6600 @ 3.6 and my maximum temp on IntelBurnTest is 65C. My LGA 775 screws on the mount for the H50 broke so I switch the AMD screws with the LGA 775 and my temps are even better now.

• Rep+
Reactions: TheLastPriest

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I love it. Just built my i7 rig this week and It's perfect. I can't fully watercool at the moment and this is the next best thing IMHO

For the same price as the top end air coolers, this outperforms

How did you mount yours? I had to remove the big top fan b/c I am using two power supplies, I then mounted the radiator on top of the case blowing outwards. I know they recommend intake but I have so much air coming in I figured it won't really make much of a difference.

I haven't overclocked my new chip, just put together my new sig rig a couple days ago, but so far my stock temps are:
Idle:27C
Load:55C

I can't wait to see how well it does when I overclock my chip.

I should mention I used their stock fan in pull plus the Enermax Magma fan in push. I also used their TIM, I will probably eventually replace that with something else.

·
Registered
154 Posts
To be honest , I have the H50 and also the Mega shadow......and the mega shadow on the 965 kicks the H50 all the way around. This is just my personal experience though, others may very. However , I also have a Q6600 and the H50 does a excellent job of keeping it cool.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
Quote:

View Post

What temps are you looking for??

Any better you'd have to be on full WC

for only 1.22 vcore that is pretty bad tbh unless his Q9550 runs really hot.

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
I have tried 2 Q9550 and got the same results

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
71C for the Q9550 is terrible at 1.2v

I'm running a Q9550 at 3.82GHz at 1.27v and I'm barely breaking 50C. My ambient temps are pretty low but unless you live in a sauna, something is definitely wrong.

Are you sure you applied the TIM correctly? Did you use too much?

·
Banned
5,000 Posts
I bought one today from best buy and I'm waiting on fans to get here from the egg. The stock fan isn't that great. I get the same temps as my MUGEN-2. I should see a 10C drop with decent fans.

196BCLK * 21, 1.375vcore, 1.335 QPI = 79C load with corsair fan pushing, antec tri-cool([email protected]) pulling.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts