Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You can see my system below, but I made my first attempt at OC today and fell a little short. I was only able to get the FSB to about 235 when testing the mobo. I followed the guides as best as I could, but is this gonna be common with the mobo that I chose? I figure I got great RAM for this, and will be disappointed if all I get with the setup is the almost 2.6 here.

Any suggestions would be welcome. I will detail more of what I did tomorrow. Just wondering if the mobo is gonna kill me here.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, I started out with a CPU voltage of 1.55, which is as high as my mobo allows. My cooling is fantastic with the Big Typhoon, so that is not much of a limiter. I had the HTT at 4 and the DDR voltage at 2.6, but that is the minimum. I wonder if I was killing my OC by putting it there?? The RAM has the heatspreaders and is generally considered very good.

I started stepping up the FSB and started dying at 245. I could get 240 but it was not stable.

How should I set up the RAM to retry the max mobo FSB? Should I up the voltage and lower the MHz, or do I lessen the timings? The RAM is set at 2-3-3-5 at 400 for stock. Last night, I had it stable at 234 FSB, 11 Mult, 4 HTT, RAM 466 2.5,3,3,5.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I am having some similar issues, altough I can only get to 2420(220x11) on the cpu. should I turn up the vdimm because i think my ram is failing when I push cpu frequency past 220. it just runs the mobo screen in an endless loop

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ffmadcow

OK, I started out with a CPU voltage of 1.55, which is as high as my mobo allows. My cooling is fantastic with the Big Typhoon, so that is not much of a limiter. I had the HTT at 4 and the DDR voltage at 2.6, but that is the minimum. I wonder if I was killing my OC by putting it there?? The RAM has the heatspreaders and is generally considered very good.

I started stepping up the FSB and started dying at 245. I could get 240 but it was not stable.

How should I set up the RAM to retry the max mobo FSB? Should I up the voltage and lower the MHz, or do I lessen the timings? The RAM is set at 2-3-3-5 at 400 for stock. Last night, I had it stable at 234 FSB, 11 Mult, 4 HTT, RAM 466 2.5,3,3,5.

Any help is appreciated.

I suggest you start over and set a goal of finding your cpu max,fsb max,and ram max. It's too early to try to find a final system setting because you're unsure of what your equipment can do. By lowering the other 2 variables and pushing the 3rd, you're able to find what the max is without the other 2 things interfering. I personally would play around with the 10X cpu mult instead of the 11X after you find your maxs. Your system will be much faster with a higher fsb/ram.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sccr64472

I suggest you start over and set a goal of finding your cpu max,fsb max,and ram max. It's too early to try to find a final system setting because you're unsure of what your equipment can do. By lowering the other 2 variables and pushing the 3rd, you're able to find what the max is without the other 2 things interfering. I personally would play around with the 10X cpu mult instead of the 11X after you find your maxs. Your system will be much faster with a higher fsb/ram.

That is what I was doing when I ran into the 240 FSB wall. My question would be what should I be setting my RAM at while I am doing this? Do I lower the actual MHz, or play with the timings? Rated timings for the memory is 2-3-2-5. Also, should I keep the CPU voltage at the highest of 1.55, or lower it? I have read here that the 3700+ can operate better on lower volts, as well. I have looked and have the best steppings out right now (zipzoomfly right around Christmas), as well. Would like to get around 2.7-2.8 if possible, and should have the set up to do it. Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
hey... just wanted to point something out... the Asus A8N SLI boards can't run over 240 w/ a 1T command rate... so be sure to switch your RAM clock rate to 2T... that should help you out.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2

hey... just wanted to point something out... the Asus A8N SLI boards can't run over 240 w/ a 1T command rate... so be sure to switch your RAM clock rate to 2T... that should help you out.

Thanks. I was wondering that, as well. So, I keep it on 2T and try to ramp it up, but what about the other settings:

HTT:
CPU Volt:
CPU Multi:
RAM MHZ:
RAM Timings:
RAM Volt:

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

That is what I was doing when I ran into the 240 FSB wall. My question would be what should I be setting my RAM at while I am doing this? Do I lower the actual MHz, or play with the timings? Rated timings for the memory is 2-3-2-5. Also, should I keep the CPU voltage at the highest of 1.55, or lower it? I have read here that the 3700+ can operate better on lower volts, as well. I have looked and have the best steppings out right now (zipzoomfly right around Christmas), as well. Would like to get around 2.7-2.8 if possible, and should have the set up to do it. Thanks

If you're trying to find your fsb max, use an 8X cpu mult,3x htt mult,put your ram on a large divider like 133, then start increasing your fsb by 5 mhz at a time.

• Rep+
Reactions: ffmadcow

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

If you're trying to find your fsb max, use an 8X cpu mult,3x htt mult,put your ram on a large divider like 133, then start increasing your fsb by 5 mhz at a time.

So put the RAM on 266, 8X multi, 3 HTT. Does voltage matter here? Do I keep the CPU volts high at 1.55 I assume? Do RAM volts even matter at this point? What about the timings - do I loosen those up a bit, to like 3-4-4-8 or some such setup, as well?

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

So put the RAM on 266, 8X multi, 3 HTT. Does voltage matter here? Do I keep the CPU volts high at 1.55 I assume? Do RAM volts even matter at this point? What about the timings - do I loosen those up a bit, to like 3-4-4-8 or some such setup, as well?

At this point, you're not testing your ram because it's on a huge divider. It will actually be running less than stock speed, so voltage/timings are irrelevant. Cpu voltage won't be that important either since you're going to be running it under stock speed or slightly above.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

At this point, you're not testing your ram because it's on a huge divider. It will actually be running less than stock speed, so voltage/timings are irrelevant. Cpu voltage won't be that important either since you're going to be running it under stock speed or slightly above.

Will do. Starting the FSB max test again.

Put RAM at 266, 3-4-4-8 timings, auto voltage.

CPU 1.55 volts, 8 X multi, 3 HTT.

Starting at 240.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2

my RAM is running 2.5-3-3-5 1T and i have my Core CLock at 280 (333MHz divider) and my system is stable

but ffmascow...make sure you drop the HTT down to 4x or 3x, I think I have mine down to 3x thus the higher clock and my multiplier to 10x. It really all comes down to RAM you have and what kind of speeds you can get becasue RAM gets real finicky.

So, what other have said by dropping hte RAM divider real low, and since you have an ASUS board, maybe 266MHz, keep it a 2T Command Rate so you can find your processor limit, then once you're satisfied with that, then start bumping the RAM faster by getting it close to 1:1. Mine right now is at 333MHz at a 1T so it is possible but I have different that likes to be OC'd.

Also you may want to move the DIMM voltage up a little bit if havent already done so, maybe to like 2.8V or whatever the factory limit is until you void warranty, mine is 2.8V so I'm not going higher than that

EDIT: jsut read the other post, you can keep your Multiplier at 10X, 8x is really conservative but it's really the HTT you need to drop moreso than the multiplier

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by GatorLCA

my RAM is running 2.5-3-3-5 1T and i have my Core CLock at 280 (333MHz divider) and my system is stable

but ffmascow...make sure you drop the HTT down to 4x or 3x, I think I have mine down to 3x thus the higher clock and my multiplier to 10x. It really all comes down to RAM you have and what kind of speeds you can get becasue RAM gets real finicky.

So, what other have said by dropping hte RAM divider real low, and since you have an ASUS board, maybe 266MHz, keep it a 2T Command Rate so you can find your processor limit, then once you're satisfied with that, then start bumping the RAM faster by getting it close to 1:1. Mine right now is at 333MHz at a 1T so it is possible but I have different that likes to be OC'd.

Also you may want to move the DIMM voltage up a little bit if havent already done so, maybe to like 2.8V or whatever the factory limit is until you void warranty, mine is 2.8V so I'm not going higher than that

EDIT: jsut read the other post, you can keep your Multiplier at 10X, 8x is really conservative but it's really the HTT you need to drop moreso than the multiplier

I have the HTT at 3 and have gotten a good boot at 270 as of right now set at a 8X multi to find the max FSB. Looking very hopeful now. I will bump the DIMM voltage on next reboot for 275. Going in 5 MHz increments right now.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts