Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm build an HTPC out of spare parts and I need a power supply but I don't want to spend much money. I'm thinking about buying this. I have a GT 9800 and a very old AND Athlon (I don't know the model of the top of my head)

·
Premium Member
3,243 Posts
Usually the OEM power supplies they actually put in OEM computers are a whole lot better than the kind of stuff you linked.

If you don't mind a fireball or possibly say the really cheap fan being wired directly to +12V and running full-bore nonstop (this is for HTPC? lol), you can try at your own risk. Financially and personally. I mean, are you okay with replacing all the parts that might be damaged?

You do notice how it's a "650W" with less connectors than a standard 350-380W?

·
Eastern Bloc Electronics
1,704 Posts
Once time I had Logic 600W power supply. 13.12V on +12 rail(measurer). Other one was Deer 300W burned pcb + damaged capacitors.
I recommend FSP 300W cause it's really cheap and reliable. It cost 32 slotys in my country + shipping so it's about 10$
biggrin.gif
. Many users of this model even have gpu's like 5770 with AII x4 cpu's. FSP produce their products in the same factory as chieftec.

·
Banned
916 Posts
OEMs are quality usually because the company can't afford to use their warranty and resources on cheap power supplies

·
Eastern Bloc Electronics
1,704 Posts
When it comes from OEM computer like DELL,HP,Compaq then it's okay to use it but NEVER buy NoName power supplies.
That's why
NoName

Real PS

An that's why using Noname PS is dangerous.

I think this doesn't require comment.

All photos are from this thread.
http://www.elektroda.pl/rtvforum/topic1199271.html
You can also read this thread.
"Renomowane marki" means good power supplies.
"Prezentuję czarną listę zasilaczy" means I present you the Black List of power supplies (under this sign you have listed bad power supplies) .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts