Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what are the opinions about using a first gen Phenom X3 and X4 for a computer building business.

I have clients who come in with old Celeron D and Athlon MP Emachines that are looking for an upgrade.

I am an Intel man, yet I love AMD for what they bring to the table

basically I have pondered on giving my clients a Sempron 140 with DDR3 Memory or a Phenom X4 9150e with DDR2.

The first gen Phenoms can be had for cheap these days and sport 3 or 4 cores even with their low clock speed.I still feel that they are good for most PC stuff and games that arent Crysis.

I like the Sempron 140 because of cheap DDR3 prices,yet its hard to convince people that 1 core may be better than 4 in some cases even though the 140 setup costs me a little less in the end.

Sempron 140 @ 2.7 VS 9150e at 1.8.

·
Premium Member
3,686 Posts
yeah Athlon II x3 like $71 shipped on newegg.

·
Premium Member
5,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by M3T4LM4N222
View Post

The Quad will most def be faster than the single core setup. Although i'd grab an Athlon II

I like the X2, but it usually involves me spending like 30 dollars more over the 140

the 9150E can be had for a little less than the Athlon II, yet has 2 more cores and more cache for possible gaming,etc.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dlee7283
View Post

I like the X2, but it usually involves me spending like 30 dollars more over the 140

the 9150E can be had for a little less than the Athlon II, yet has 2 more cores

From what i've heard, the original Phenom's where not much faster than the AM2+ Athlon X2's, but i'm sure extra cores help.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i will take 9150e over sempron anytime, no doubt sempron is better on single threaded programs but imo nowadays even end users need atleast a dual core for daily tasks.

it could be different case if x2 555/550be vs 9150e thou, i have no issue settling down with high clock dual core.

·
Premium Member
5,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ah_khoo
View Post

i will take 9150e over sempron anytime

I would too, but DDR2 Prices make it more expensive over a 140 and generic DDR3

·
Registered
44 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dlee7283
View Post

I would too, but DDR2 Prices make it more expensive over a 140 and generic DDR3

if that's the case x2 240 will be a better choice, or, stick with sempron & get a core unlocking capable board. finally, pray hard that the sempron has a healthy disable core.

·
Premium Member
5,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ah_khoo
View Post

if that's the case x2 240 will be a better choice, or, stick with sempron & get a core unlocking capable board. finally, pray hard that the sempron has a healthy disable core.

I would just worry about the blue screen of death for a client if I were to unlock a core. People here would know how to fix the problem but clients most likely not.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts