Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How crucial is it to use Teflon Tape or something on all your threads? Do some use it and some don't or is this like some sort of WC secret!

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
Same none here either and no leaks. As the o-rings pretty much defeat the need to use the thread tape.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I used teflon tape and wish I never had.

Threads on barbs are not near as wide as the tape, even after folding tape in half its almost impossible to keep that way. Hard to handle and keep smooth and flat when folding in half..

After use I now have Teflon fluttering in my res, who knows what its its doing in the rad and pump. More of an annoyance than anything, drives me nuts looking at it, time for a redo with no Teflon soon.

Was worse, some worked its way off.

Note: Held paper behind res for better visibility in pic of Teflon fluttering.

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
As long as the component your screwing the barb into has a o-ring recess you'll be fine.

A lot of parts didn't have a o-ring capture a few years ago and the o-ring would deform if screwed in to tight and possibly leak so Teflon tape was good insurance.

I used to use clear silicone on my threads back then.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use it on all fittings, I just do a tidy job of it. It can't hurt, gives you another insurance against leaks, and if plumbers use it means it works. You just have to be careful when using it with acrylic, as you don't want to make your fitting so tight that it cracks or splits.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MT Alex
View Post

I use it on all fittings, I just do a tidy job of it. It can't hurt, gives you another insurance against leaks, and if plumbers use it means it works. You just have to be careful when using it with acrylic, as you don't want to make your fitting so tight that it cracks or splits.

Almost exactly. If you use it and you use too much it can crack the threads on Acrylic, Acetyl, a little harder to do on POM or Lucite. This is why they use o-rings now.

If you have an o-ring that doesn't seat right, or it's cracked. An old plumbers trick I learned in Germany, wipe the o-ring down with petroleum jelly, take it off until theres a slight sheen, the coat the edge of the fitting with it outside of where the o-ring sits. Carefully put it on, it's slippery now, so make sure it doesn't pop out, seat hand tight and it should stay until you can get a new o-ring. This is perfect on old washing machines and whole house water filters.

Clear silicone is nice too, just gotta pluck it all off when you take that fitting off and re-apply.

I don't use anything but o-rings, I'm on my fifth loop without leaks.

·
Banned
8,014 Posts
You do not need any Teflon tape on any current water cooling gear from about 2007 to this date. As Ira-K said, some old school stuff didn't have the recess for the o-ring and they warped or worked their way off. Not anymore. You can always double up on o-rings if 1 isn't enough like me when I put the EK fittings on my radiator.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
If you wanted to be belt and suspenders oring + another seal, use some kind of liquid sealer, teflon tape is a pita unless your a plumber.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juggalo23451
View Post

I dont use any. No leaks at all

Don't buy a EK multioption since they all require to be teflon taped

all fittings including Bitpower will leak if u use that reservoir without teflon tape, i have one so i talk with expierence.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts