Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I've been having some serious issues with thunderbolt communicating with my windows computer but looks like I have finally solved my problem so I wanted to do a little write up incase someone else runs into this issue.

First off, I had an old Pegasus R4 lying around that I wanted to use for my video editing backup. I had this Pegasus back when I was all Apple (iMac, Macbook Pro, Macbook, Cinema Display Etc Etc). I sold most of my apple products and built my first pc. Fast forward to today and now I have all pcs (G3258 rig, 5960x, 4930k, 6300) but I want to use my old thunderbolt hardware. I found I had a TB header on my Sabertooth X99 board. I read the manual and found the thunderbolt EX card will work with this. Purchased the card and tried installing the card exactly as the manual stated... nothing.
thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif
I even managed to corrupt my bootdrive
mad.gif
My fault of course. After searching online and finding no information I gave up and sent it back for a refund. A couple weeks went by and I couldn't stand having the Pegasus just sitting there and not being used. I then purchased the card again in hopes that maybe the card I received was defective.
rolleyes.gif

The card arrived and once again I installed it exactly as the manual states... Still nothing
mad.gif
So I contact an asus rep and tell him my problem. He insisted I try it on another computer but seeing as I don't have another computer with a TB header that was not possible. After some digging he sent me an article discussing a similar problem a gentlemen had. The article was very informative and led me to my success. I tried disabling the CSM and installing windows 8 on a fresh drive and going through the exact procedure but still nothing. I then kept CSM on and tried Windows 10 but this time I plugged my card into my first PCIE slot and my GPU in my second PCIE Slot (Both Gold on motherboard). Mind you I did boot into windows WITHOUT the Thunderbolt Card in the first slot so I could install the drivers and make sure the computer recognized the card change. After installing the thunderbolt card into the first slot I was able to then see Thunderbolt Port 1 but still no pegasus. I then changed the BIOS thunderbolt setting to Legacy(unique ID works as well after Install), change the cache line to 32 and turned everything to the ON setting.

BAM my pegasus showed up and now I able to use the thunderbolt port!!!
thumb.gif
thumb.gif
thumb.gif
thumb.gif
thumb.gif
biggrin.gif
:D:D

In recap:
Thunderbolt Card in first PCIE slot
GPU in Second
BIOS set to everything on
Cache 32 (128 works after installation)

MAKE SURE TO INSTALL DRIVERS BEFORE YOU INSTALL THE THUNDERBOLT CARD

*I do still have to restart my pegasus every time I turn on the computer for it to be recognized but am currently talking to Asus to fix this.
tongue.gif

·
Excel Guru
12,120 Posts
I'm glad you have it figured out! I've had issues with legacy stuff on the Sabertooth myself. UEFI really makes things difficult for old hardware.

What do you mean by Thunderbolt header? If a header existed, why would you need an expansion card?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The header is for the cable that plugs into the Thunderbolt Card, it's not actually a thunderbolt port. MANUAL See page 53 for TB_Header. I wish they just put the port on there like my Z87-Expert board lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts