Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Programmer
28,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason, one of my computer fans is making a slight high pitch ticking noise. Not so much ticking, but as i power down my computer, the high pitch noise reduces in speed as the fans reduce in speed to come to a hault. Could something be slighty vibrating on the case or maybe the fan on the HS? It's extremely anoying now. It started doing is a couple of hours ago since i cleaned out my PC.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
if its a high pitched noise its probably he motor and not the contact with the case..

What fan is this?

Did you wet it at all?

I think it might just be best if you throw it away and get a new one.

·
Registered
447 Posts
What kind of fan is it? the mount could be loose..something could be loose near it. Or one of the berrings could be shot? I know they dont sound very nice with a worn berring =/ or even a large amount of dust in around the berrings.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Are you sure nothing is touching the fan blade? If you were recently inside the case and the noise started afterwards my first guess would be that a wire or piece of debris is touching the blades.

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
The noise your describing is common when the fan sleeve/bearing is worn out. You could try re-lubing it or simply replace it.

·
Motorola 68040
254 Posts
If the balls are out of alignment you may have to manually push the fan in the opposite direction.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts