Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
You broke it!
14,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdome View Post

not a bad price for this? I have been looking for a SSD? just don't know which one to buy?
Right now the best SSDs are...

Intel 730 series (Releases next week at about a $1 per GB)
Samsung 840 Pro
Plextor M5 Pro Extreme
Samsung 840 Evo
Crucial M500

Depending on which data you look at the Plextor is faster than the 840 Pro, and the M500 faster/better than the 840 Evo. The truth of the matter is the 840 Evo and Crucial M500 offers the best performance per dollar, and both are feature rich. Very few situations would really require you to go beyond those.

I have sitting in front of me, new in the box, the 840 EVO that is going in today to replace my Sandforce driven Mushkin. Which brings up a point. Sandforce based SSD are dated and should be avoided, there are a lot better controllers out there. I was going to order the Intel 730 but the cost just didn't outweigh the benefit enough.

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

Hmm? Everything I've heard about this drive has it performing very middle-of-the-road. At least as far as consumer usage is concerned.

Anand's review makes it look ridiculously overpriced for what it offers to home users: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7803/intel-ssd-730-480gb-review/6

@Cyberdome, the Seagate 600 series is more or less equal to a Sammy EVO, which makes this an insane value. Honestly if I didn't already have my Pro I'd be all over this deal. I still might hop on the 480GB model for my Steam library.
thinking.gif

·
Read Only
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

Samsung 840 Pro
Plextor M5 Pro Extreme
Samsung 840 Evo
Crucial M500

Depending on which data you look at the Plextor is faster than the 840 Pro, and the M500 faster/better than the 840 Evo. The truth of the matter is the 840 Evo and Crucial M500 offers the best performance per dollar, and both are feature rich. Very few situations would really require you to go beyond those.

I have sitting in front of me, new in the box, the 840 EVO that is going in today to replace my Sandforce driven Mushkin. Which brings up a point. Sandforce based SSD are dated and should be avoided, there are a lot better controllers out there. I was going to order the Intel 730 but the cost just didn't outweigh the benefit enough.
nope 840 pro still king!
tongue.gif

·
You broke it!
14,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booty Warrior View Post

Hmm? Everything I've heard about this drive has it performing very middle-of-the-road. At least as far as consumer usage is concerned.

Anand's review makes it look ridiculously overpriced for what it offers to home users: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7803/intel-ssd-730-480gb-review/6

@Cyberdome, the Seagate 600 series is more or less equal to a Sammy EVO, which makes this an insane value. Honestly if I didn't already have my Pro I'd be all over this deal. I still might hop on the 480GB model for my Steam library.
thinking.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregg1494 View Post

nope 840 pro still king!
tongue.gif
Raw performance isn't the only factor to considering.

Simply put, the Intel 730 series shares a lot of the same components as their Enterprise drives, firmware and hardware. Though, as Booty said, the performance of it doesn't justify the cost compared to "consumer" SSDs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts