Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Proc: Core I7
CPU cooler: Enzotech Sapphire Rev. A

I have never seen a heatsink and a proc look like this:
Attachment 145403

Attachment 145404

I know it hits the cores fine but should I use a bit more TIM then a VERY thin spread with a credit card? I just have not seen it like this with hardly any contact.

I would say the PROC is concave and the cpu cooler is convex?
LL
LL

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,142 Posts
Or, perhaps more paste is needed. But, let the pressure of the heatsink spread the paste. If the paste is spread with anything prior to installing the heatsink, then there could be air pockets in the paste thereby reducing the thermal conductivity.

But I can't speak from experience yet as to whether or not one is convex or concave. However, I agree that it certainly appears that way.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will try the glob in the middle as I'm trying to figure the best method. I have always doen paper thin spread but this, this is just weird lol. I will post back after some attemps with pics. I think its so weird because of the cpu sink, it rocks back and forth on the chip...

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,142 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick911 View Post
I will try the glob in the middle as I'm trying to figure the best method. I have always doen paper thin spread but this, this is just weird lol. I will post back after some attemps with pics. I think its so weird because of the cpu sink, it rocks back and forth on the chip...
Oh crap. Then both have to be lapped.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by WingedCow View Post
I like the 5 small dot TIM app. it gets spread around nicely.
That will almost guarantee air pockets in between the dots. I highly suggest avoiding that method

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,142 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sublimejhn View Post
That will almost guarantee air pockets in between the dots. I highly suggest avoiding that method
Exactly. It needs to start solid and end solid.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is the update!! Looks allot better and think this is the best method for the enzotech, HUGE glob in the middle.

Attachment 145410

Attachment 145411

Base is still super thin but makes EXCELENT contact. Now we have the outerside being conected by a huge amount of TIM.

Should I keep it like this or keep it how I did it originally but with a little bit more TIM?
LL
LL

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevingreenbmx View Post
try just putting a rice grain sized/shaped blob in the center of the chip and letting the pressure spread it out for you.
This is how you should do it. Not a lot of TIM at all. If you put too much it could spill over to the motherboard.

Quote:

If the HSF is rocking back and forth. The CPU and/or HSF are not flat. You might want to look into lapping them.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,142 Posts
Quote:

Here is the update!! Looks allot better and think this is the best method for the enzotech, HUGE glob in the middle.

Attachment 145410

Attachment 145411
I used a big pile of paste on the center of my CPU too. Then I tightened the Tuniq Tower down as tight as it can possibly go down, and then I removed it: the end result was a perfect distribution that was not too much and not too little. It also had a perfectly even appearance.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,142 Posts
Quote:

So your saying take the spacers out that I have on the CPU and just tighten it down even more and I should be good to go(this style just requires allot of pressure to be perfect)?
Well, I know it looked like I was saying that, but I wasn't.

It looks to me like both the CPU and the heatsink need to be lapped. However, it also depends on the current thermal performance. I mean, if it's absolutely good enough for you, then there's nothing to worry about. But it most definitely shouldn't be wobbling like that.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables
View Post

Oh crap. Then both have to be lapped.

Like what Shrimpykins said, the block could be bowed. If you want to lap the block, at least take it apart and then lap it.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,142 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick911
View Post

some generic ceramique TIM or how you spell it and it does not rock when mounted and I'm trying to avoid lapping

Oh. I thought you meant that it rocks/wobbles when it's completely installed.

• Rep+
Reactions: nist7
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.