Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my motherboard is dead and my PSU has been on it's last legs for a while as well... so I have decided that along with a new mb and psu, I may as well go all out and get a new i7 cpu and fancy ddr3 ram while I'm at it.

So basically I will be holding onto my case/graphics card/DVD RW/HDD (provided it's still alive after the fierce kick I gave the comp while in my blind rage) and peripherals of course. All seen in my sig. I'm holding onto my graphics card because all I have been doing/will be doing for a long time yet is playing BFBC2, which actually ran 100% maxed out, smooth as butter, even on my current machine.

Right so here is what I have selected so far based mainly on low cost (600 euro/£540 budget):

Intel Core i7 930 2.80Ghz
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=CP-320-IN

Asus P6T SE Intel X58
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=MB-332-AS

Patriot Viper 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=MY-032-PA

Corsair TX 850W
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=CA-013-CS

Basically I want it to last for a decent amount of time, and allow future (high end) GPU upgrades especially. I also plan on overclocking and hope to reach at least 4GHz with whichever i7 cpu you think would best suit my needs/budget. Given my HSF I would actually expect to be able to reach at least 4.2GHz.

So anyway I would very much appreciate any advice/guidance you can offer. Thanks.

Btw, I get tax (VAT) off, so don't count that in the cost if your selecting different parts for me.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by melterx12
View Post

You can save yourself some $$ and go for the i7 920.

I was wondering about that actually (only £10 difference though). Is performance (in general + overclockability) the same? If so then I may as well go with the 920.

Also is the speed of the ram I selected necessary?

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rHy0
View Post

I was wondering about that actually (only £10 difference though). Is performance (in general + overclockability) the same? If so then I may as well go with the 920.

Also is the speed of the ram I selected necessary?

1600 is the usual speed people choose, good price to speed ratio. Go 2000 and it's too expensive, go 1333 and it's a bit of a ripoff. You could go 1333 if you really wanted, you're not really going to save much though.

That said, this is the best 1600 available on OCUK.

• Rep+
Reactions: rHy0

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Well, the i7 930 has more overclocking potential as compared to the i7 920. However, this is only if you have an extremely awesome cooling set-up, as you will need it in order to OC the 930 to such an extent.

To be honest. I'm not sure if the Megahalem will be able to provide such an OC which will be much different then if you simply get a 920 and OC.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Well, the i7 930 has more overclocking potential as compared to the i7 920. However, this is only if you have an extremely awesome cooling set-up, as you will need it in order to OC the 930 to such an extent.

To be honest. I'm not sure if the Megahalem will be able to provide such an OC which will be much different then if you simply get a 920 and OC.

Okay 920 it is then. I don't want to risk getting stuck with a bad stepping/revision with the 930. Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reflux
View Post

1600 is the usual speed people choose, good price to speed ratio. Go 2000 and it's too expensive, go 1333 and it's a bit of a ripoff. You could go 1333 if you really wanted, you're not really going to save much though.

That said, this is the best 1600 available on OCUK.

Alright then in that case I'll stick with that speed. The ram in link sure looks nice! Too expensive for me though. Is the patriot set I selected okay? Or would there be better, similar priced, brands to go for instead? There's a Geil set on the site as well so not sure how they'd be in comparison..

+REP to come!

·
4kfan
4,224 Posts
man ive seen 930s running some crazy clocks... 4.8ghz on water. and 4.4 on air... now i would go with a 930 because is only about 20bucks more and the extra multiplier could be worth it.

i might be getting another setup with a 930 once i find a cheap classy board.

• Rep+
Reactions: rHy0

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Go for this RAM. G-Skill is the awesome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manolith

man ive seen 930s running some crazy clocks... 4.8ghz on water. and 4.4 on air... now i would go with a 930 because is only about 20bucks more and the extra multiplier could be worth it.

I wouldn't recommend that. Even with the potential better OC, it would still not be worth it to upgrade from a 920 to a 930. Performance difference is minimal, if any.

Might as well save up and wait for the core i7 970 Gulftown coming next quarter.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Go for this RAM. G-Skill is the awesome.

Unfortunately that G-Skill set is not available on OcUK.

Quote:

Originally Posted by manolith
View Post

Don't know what to do now!

Thing is though, you can buy a guaranteed G0 stepping i7 920 on the site I'm buying off, but there is no G0 930 supply listed there. So wouldn't I risk getting a bad batch if I chose the 930?

·
4kfan
4,224 Posts
well you do what you want but if it was up to me i would go with the 930.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

View Post

well you do what you want but if it was up to me i would go with the 930.

It's extra intensive research time!!

Btw does anyone know how much abuse a HD and DVD RW can withstand? As I've mentioned I am a bit concerned as to their well being after I lost temper and ninja kicked my case a few days ago when my motherboard bit the dust. Well in reality it wasn't a ninja kick really, more like a foot jab. And the case is up near a wall (few inches away) so didn't move very much before rocking back into position. Can I expect them to be okay? I think it was on when I did it.

·
4kfan
4,224 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Btw does anyone know how much abuse a HD and DVD RW can withstand? As I've mentioned I am a bit concerned as to their well being after I lost temper and ninja kicked my case a few days ago when my motherboard bit the dust. Well in reality it wasn't a ninja kick really, more like a foot jab. And the case is up near a wall (few inches away) so didn't move very much before rocking back into position. Can I expect them to be okay? I think it was on when I did it.

the hd and cd rom should be ok as long as the hd was not spinning.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Haha - loved that.

Im off to read some things about Steppings etc on CPU, i didnt realise a G0 was a good thing to have.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

View Post

the hd and cd rom should be ok as long as the hd was not spinning.

Alright well seeing as the system was powered on but doing nothing (as it won't post) I guess I can assume the hd was not spinning/active. I did have a dvd drive die on me before however (started cracking discs) which i put down to shock from hitting the case.. So I just hope this one will not suffer the same fate as it's a better quality samsung drive..

·
Registered
681 Posts
On the i7 920 vs 930 debate.... If there only is that slight of a price difference I would go with the newer technology. I went with the 920 on my build purely because it was a tried and true overclocker, with an abundance of guides on how to overclock it. The 930 has now proven to be a good overclocker as well; so I recommend it.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by postama
View Post

On the i7 920 vs 930 debate.... If there only is that slight of a price difference I would go with the newer technology. I went with the 920 on my build purely because it was a tried and true overclocker, with an abundance of guides on how to overclock it. The 930 has now proven to be a good overclocker as well; so I recommend it.

See that's the thing that's causing this dillema for me. I have the option to purchase out of a batch of D0 i7 920's, which are as you said 'tried and true overclockers'. While the i7 930 is listed on the site, there is no option for ordering a specific stepping. So even though I am actually leaning towards the i7 930 now, I am really concerned that I will essentially be taking a gamble if I buy it. What I need to know is, is the 930 guaranteed (and proven) to be a better overclocker than the 920, regardless of it's stepping/batch? The last thing I want is to receive an i7 930 and get it running, only to find out that it can't get near the D0 920 overclocks.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rHy0 View Post
Unfortunately that G-Skill set is not available on OcUK.

Don't know what to do now!

Thing is though, you can buy a guaranteed G0 stepping i7 920 on the site I'm buying off, but there is no G0 930 supply listed there. So wouldn't I risk getting a bad batch if I chose the 930?

G0? I'm new to this (trying to figure out what to buy like the OP) and all I hear about is the D0. Presumably G0 is later than D0 and is equally as good for OC? Is there anyway to tell what stepping you are getting in advance ?

On that G-Skill ram, with those large heatsinks will it fit under the HSF even with 6 slots filled?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by paleblue
View Post

G0? I'm new to this (trying to figure out what to buy like the OP) and all I hear about is the D0. Presumably G0 is later than D0 and is equally as good for OC? Is there anyway to tell what stepping you are getting in advance ?

That was a typo. I was referring to the D0.

Right so I will be ordering tomorrow, and I'm going for the i7 930. Last chance for anyone to stop me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts