Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
10+ Year Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm looking to upgrade my current build - as it's an outdated Skylake. I'm told things have shifted back towards AMD as far as best value goes.

Looking for ideas on mobo/CPU/GPU combos that will run the newest games on max settings. I have a 3 monitor setup, but I'm sure newer/higher end GPUs won't have an issue supporting that.

Current setup:

Intel i3-6100
8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000)
ASRock Z170M Extreme4 LGA 1151 Micro ATX
Cheap garbage GPU I paid $50 at Best Buy for just to be able to use 3 monitors.
Antec VP-450 450W ATX 12V v2.3 Power Supply - Intel Haswell Fully Compatible

SO.. I'll need to replace the mobo, find a good AMD CPU, and then pick out a GPU - everything else should be good, unless you guys think a bigger PSU is needed?

Budget is.... undefined. I want to build a great gaming PC, but I also don't want to spend more than what is needed - this isn't going to be a mining rig or folding lol.

My little brother suggested the Ryzen 5 2600, and I think they have some decent combo deals at Microcenter.
http://www.microcenter.com/product/...M4_Boxed_Processor_with_Wraith_Stealth_Cooler

Thoughts, input & advice much appreciated. Wouldn't mind putting this rebuild underwater if it's not too expensive. Sort of always wanted to do that.

·
Tech Enthusiast
12,388 Posts
Honestly if it were me I'd just grab a strong used CPU (6600k/6700k), better GPU, and a new PSU.

That motherboard is just fine and 8GB is still fine for gaming (especially given the price of RAM these days, lol)

What monitors are you using?

·
10+ Year Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2600X
3200MHz 14-14-14-34
Seasonic Focus gold series psu.
Asus X370 CH6 or Asus X470 Strix-F.
Cool. I may need a new case....

Honestly if it were me I'd just grab a strong used CPU (6600k/6700k), better GPU, and a new PSU.

That motherboard is just fine and 8GB is still fine for gaming (especially given the price of RAM these days, lol)

What monitors are you using?
ASUS VG248QE Black 24" x1
Samsung C24F390FHN (curved 24") x2

I'm not opposed to that either. I just figured that would be more expensive in the long run. What's the intel equivalent to the 2600x? Coffee lake CPUs?

·
Senior OCN Member
39,915 Posts
Would be somewhat helpful if you told us what brand and model the PSU is rather then the amount of wattge

·
Registered
999 Posts
So I'm looking to upgrade my current build - as it's an outdated Skylake. I'm told things have shifted back towards AMD as far as best value goes.

Looking for ideas on mobo/CPU/GPU combos that will run the newest games on max settings. I have a 3 monitor setup, but I'm sure newer/higher end GPUs won't have an issue supporting that.

Current setup:

Intel i3-6100
8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000)
ASRock Z170M Extreme4 LGA 1151 Micro ATX
Cheap garbage GPU I paid $50 at Best Buy for just to be able to use 3 monitors.
450W PSU

SO.. I'll need to replace the mobo, find a good AMD CPU, and then pick out a GPU - everything else should be good, unless you guys think a bigger PSU is needed?

Budget is.... undefined. I want to build a great gaming PC, but I also don't want to spend more than what is needed - this isn't going to be a mining rig or folding lol.

My little brother suggested the Ryzen 5 2600, and I think they have some decent combo deals at Microcenter.
http://www.microcenter.com/product/...M4_Boxed_Processor_with_Wraith_Stealth_Cooler

Thoughts, input & advice much appreciated. Wouldn't mind putting this rebuild underwater if it's not too expensive. Sort of always wanted to do that.
Budget might be undefined but I guess it's not sky is the limit, right? :)

So why not save some money by buying a used Kaby Lake or Skylake i5 or i7 from the OC marketplace?

Maybe OC the heck out of it when you get a better HSF and PSU?

If purely for gaming this is the route I would go with your setup.

This begs the question, what games to do you play?

·
10+ Year Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Budget might not be undefined but I guess it's not sky's the limit, right? :)

So why not save some money by buying a used Kaby Lake or Skylake i5 or i7 from the OC marketplace?

Maybe OC the heck out of it when you a better HSF, and PSU?

If purely for gaming this is the route I would go with your setup.

This begs the question, what games to do you play?
You are correct! Sky isn't the limit as I don't want to piss off the wife, but there also isn't a strict budget.

I'm strongly considering going that route. I'm thinking about trying to get it all used from the OC marketplace. I had been inactive for so long, I forgot it was an option. Probably a used i7-8700k, just not sure on what GPU I'd go with... suggestions?

As far as the games go, I'd like to play Fortnite & PUBG on max settings - currently just play them on Xbox and play old school RuneScape on PC, but that doesn't require anything other than onboard video.

Edit: Just realized 8700k ins't an option, and 300 bucks for a 7700 just doesn't seem like a good value. I'll probably get a new mobo and cpu.

For those interested, this is my temp setup - trying to buy a new house in January and hopefully, have a dedicated room. All Razer peripherals.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Should consider a 8600k. For gaming its not far off a 8700k
That way you also save on motherboard and ram. Just get a decent PSU and GPU.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
If you wanna keep what you have I'd agree that simply popping in a better used CPU would be a great idea. Delidding and overclocking said chip would also be good.
If you'd like to sell it and start over I'd recommend waiting for the next CPUs at the end of the year...actually you could sell your CPU, upgrade it to a 6600k or 6700k and use that till the 8 core Intel CPUs come out and 7nm Ryzen has launched. Then you can sell the CPU for about what you paid for it along with the rest of the rig. New GPUs are upon us soon and CPUs in early 2019 so it's hard to recommend buying a new rig lol.

If I were you I'd upgrade your CPU and buy a used GPU to hold you over. The best part about used hardware is you can sell it for about what you paid for it. There is a 1080 for sale right now for $480
https://www.overclock.net/forum/14779-video/1701588-fs-ft-1080s-one-waterblock-preinstalled.html

980 TIs and 970s are also very available.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts