Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks ^.-

I haven't visited the Red Team in a long time now (since 2600 XT). I recently upgraded to a 2560x1600 monitor, which means that more than likely it's time to upgrade the GPU to keep up.

I am under the distinct impression that ATI is the way to go for higher resolution setups. How has ATI come along in the past 2 years? Are drivers competitive with Nvidia now? Are games still made with Nvidia in mind and ATI cards struggling?

Just trying to get an overall feel here for how ATI stacks up these days as far as driver optimization and game design. I know that the cards themselves are much better as far as price/performance goes.

Also I was wondering, how much VRAM do you really need to run this resolution?

Thanks folks, let's also keep the discussion civil, I am not a fanboy either way and I hope no one else is
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunion;12998867
You plan on going dual cards?
I wouldn't rule it out..not sure what kind of horsepower I really need
smile.gif

I am looking to go with the best price/performance but still be able to run this resolution well and game on it.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I've moved between ATI and nvidia a lot of times, and, in my opinion (many would argue differently), ATI drivers still aren't as good as nvidia.

But the 2gb framebuffer on the 69xx cards will help at your resolution.

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How are the drivers holding up for Crossfire compared to SLI?

Is it still the case like the old days where there are certain driver sets that are better for CF that aren't the most current drivers?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Xfire with the 6 series cards is flawless and the drivers are fine.. If thats what you want to do (going with 2+ cards) Go with ATI.

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jellis142
View Post

Everybody who had problems with AMD will flame on the drivers, but there's really nothing wrong, and Crossfire is VERY good on the 69XX series. Two 6950 2Gb's would be the best deal.

I haven't had ATI cards in a very long time which is why I am asking..drivers used to be a huge issue, especially in crossfire.

If the drivers are on par with SLI now (I ran SLI 460 without issue) then it sounds like a great option (6950 unlock crossfire).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts