Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after paying the tax man his 5 pounds of flesh i need something to look forward to. looked in my paypal and i have $90 from selling mtg cards on ebay and the upgrade of an ssd has never sounded better
biggrin.gif
I looked thru sean's ssd guides and what not and found a great starting point. Looking for opinions on what you guys think the best bang for the buck is. Im after a min 120/128gb drive but am willing to spend a little more (up to ~$150 max) if i can get a bigger/better drive. Below is the list of links in order of what i think seems to to be the best bang for the buck but feel free to chip in

1 - Samsung 840 EVO 250gb
2 - Samsung 840 PRO 128gb
3 - Corsair Neutron GTX 128gb
4 - Sandisk Extreme II 120gb
5 - Sandisk Ultra Plus 128gb

Looking forward to your thoughts
thumb.gif

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
Option 2!

·
Premium Member
15,255 Posts
wave2.gif
ACHILEE5

I would forget option 4 an 5

I agree, option 1.. it is the best value as in GB / $$ over option 2 and 3 and the EVO is still a pretty decent and reliable SSD. If you dont want 250Gb, option 2 then would be the best IMO

Plextor M5P is another great SSD too and well worth a look at
smile.gif

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya the 250gb evo seems like the best bang for the buck. Gonna sleep on it and order tomorrow
smile.gif

·
Storage Nut
21,113 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
if you are on newegg emails 48 hour sale Samsung 840 EVO 240 GB is $140 shipped. Drive is often at this price. Also watch amazon pricing (Samsung 840 EVO, Crucial M500, Seagate 600, Sandisk Ultra Plus).
TigerDirect has been having 240 GB SSDs on sale for $100 after rebate, if that appeals.

• Rep+
Reactions: Pyro_Teknic

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by brasslad View Post

if you are on newegg emails 48 hour sale Samsung 840 EVO 240 GB is $140 shipped. Drive is often at this price. Also watch amazon pricing (Samsung 840 EVO, Crucial M500, Seagate 600, Sandisk Ultra Plus).
TigerDirect has been having 240 GB SSDs on sale for $100 after rebate, if that appeals.
Just ordered the evo 250gb from newegg w/ the coupon. +rep

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bump for a dumb question.

i wont lose the info on my raid array with the new windows install will i?

·
Storage Nut
21,113 Posts
why would you? You are installing to the SSD, not the RAID array

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
didnt think so but i just wanted to make sure. will moving sata ports affect it either? sorry im still new to raid arrays. i set this one up and thats it lol

·
Storage Nut
21,113 Posts
Changing SATA ports may mess with it....ive had it happen once, but idk if it was just a fluke accident. Always be sure to back up data first tho.

·
Premium Member
5,506 Posts
I have had arrays lost due to changing SATA ports (but obviously still on the same controller), and I have had them remain as if nothing happened. The only thing approachinga trend in the matter is that the Intel ports are seemingly far more reliable than the 3rd party junk.

You absolutely need to have the most bulletproof backups possible of any important files, however, but this is something that you should be doing anyway.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll leave them where they are just to be safe. Install happens tonight!!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
bump for any tweaking info. i followed seans install guide but it doesnt seem to feel as snappy as i was hoping. windows takes about 45 seconds to boot. i do have ahci enabled as well as followed all steps in sean guide. below is the crystal bench of it, it is on a sata2 port (port 0 on mb) and the sata 3 connectors on my board of the marvell ones. if you need any more screens of anything ill post asap

·
Premium Member
15,255 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyro_Teknic View Post

bump for any tweaking info. i followed seans install guide but it doesnt seem to feel as snappy as i was hoping. windows takes about 45 seconds to boot. i do have ahci enabled as well as followed all steps in sean guide. below is the crystal bench of it, it is on a sata2 port (port 0 on mb) and the sata 3 connectors on my board of the marvell ones. if you need any more screens of anything ill post asap
That looks more like an HDD bench than an SSD bench to me. Even SATA I should be better than that. Post a screenshot of AS SSD and CrystalDiskInfo for more information.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts