Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just moved and well i was setting up my network. Currently i have 2 systems the ps3, and my gaming computer. The only way i can get the ps3 to work is directly connect or hook it to my NETGEAR Hub but the problem is the PC doesn't work. And the ONLY way for the PC to work is direct connect. I've tried different wires but nothing. Help please guys!

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
Wireless router? PS3 has wifi...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Sometimes the modem you get to lease/borrow from them is wireless router as well. You should be able to connect the computer directly to the router and the PS3 has built in wireless internet so you can connect that wirelessly.

If the netgear hub is the only thing you have available, maybe you just want to connect the pc to it most of the time and then unplug it and plug ps3 when you want to use that?? Otherwise you can look into getting a Dlink switch. I've seen them these past few months for about 5-10 dollars after rebate at office depot for the 10/100 switch.

·
Registered
947 Posts
If I'm not mistaken if you have a hub your ISP needs to issue you 2 working IP addresses for two devices to have internet (which is usually an added fee). If you get a router you only need one IP and the router will route connections to and from different devices without any extra public IP's. Are you sure you weren't paying an extra fee with your old company so you could have two IP's?

·
Premium Member
8,052 Posts
That, least to say is not possible. Unless you were paying for 3 IP's.
You need a Router or DHCP server of some kind. So it will be like this

Internet Modem
|
DHCP Server|Router|
|
Hub|Switch
|
PC

·
Premium Member
4,258 Posts
First of all, hubs are the devil. No intelligent switching occurs in a hub, so all the data coming through your connection is broadcast down every single Cat5/6 cable plugged into the hub. This leads to slower speeds and more data loss, not to mention if you fired up WireShark on one of your computers you could see all the network traffic coming in through your connection.

A hub cannot function as a DHCP server, so unless your connection goes through a router at some point, you are trying to pull multiple static IPs from Time-Warner.

An inexpensive router with a built-in four port switch would be ideal for your situation. They are not expensive.

·
Premium Member
8,052 Posts
WRT54G
WRT54GL

They are extremely cheap. I would personally go with the WRT54GL if you want to buy one, it has much more RAM then any of of the other types and is great for flashing third party firmware.

Time Warner Cable can provide you with a router, but, that stuff is terrible to use.

·
Premium Member
4,258 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GH0
View Post

WRT54G
WRT54GL

They are extremely cheap. I would personally go with the WRT54GL if you want to buy one, it has much more RAM then any of of the other types and is great for flashing third party firmware.

Time Warner Cable can provide you with a router, but, that stuff is terrible to use.

+1

These are good quality, in-expensive routers. The ability to flash the firmware to DD-WRT or similar is a bonus!

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCBrown.CA
View Post

First of all, hubs are the devil. No intelligent switching occurs in a hub, so all the data coming through your connection is broadcast down every single Cat5/6 cable plugged into the hub. This leads to slower speeds and more data loss, not to mention if you fired up WireShark on one of your computers you could see all the network traffic coming in through your connection.

A hub cannot function as a DHCP server, so unless your connection goes through a router at some point, you are trying to pull multiple static IPs from Time-Warner.

An inexpensive router with a built-in four port switch would be ideal for your situation. They are not expensive.

Hubs are not the devil. They serve a good purpose for tracking down an a-hole who's p2p'ing at a LAN

1 - 13 of 13 Posts