Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been fighting my internet connection for about a month now. Switched from AT&T to Time Warner because of bad support. Time Warner worked great for about a month and then, seemingly for no reason it began to slow WAAAY down.

At its best the connection does about 25mb/s down and .7 up. At its worst(which is most of the time) we get about 600kb/s down and 30 up. As for ping Ive seen anything between 50ms and 17,000ms. Ive tried 2 different routers and the same exact problem continues to happen.

Time Warner has given us the run-around. They say always that its an issue between the modem and the router or some configuration issue. Ive heard that they have internal filters to stop people from using routers from any other company but theirs and you see things like this to support that claim. Im beginning to wonder if thats not the case.

Ive tried two routers, first a very nice/expensive Dlink Gamerlounge, and second a Linksys WRT54GS. Both will deliver 20-25mb/s down initially but very rapidly, the connection erodes down to about 600kb/s. It takes anywhere from 2-20 minutes for this erosion to take place.

If you plug directly into the modem you get blazing fast speed that stays the same. Plug into a router and its great for a couple minutes then its worthless.

Ive tried a lot of things: MANY different resetting strategies, MANY different configurations on the router, static IP, DHCP, full security, no security, with wireless/wired connected simultaneously, wireless alone, wired alone, renewing DHCP from within the router, ipconfig /release/renew. So long as there's a router we have a no-go.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
959 Posts
I was going to guess that the port on the modem that connects to the router may be the problem since it happens with both routers. But if you plug a pc into that port and it works great...then maybe its not the problem. Not sure....maybe the cable that is being used between the modem and router(s)?

I use a linksys befsr41 with TWC RoadRunner with Turbo and get consistantly fast speeds. The older befsr41's were limited on their speed, but I replaced it with a newer one and its been great since then.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, ok, im going to try another cable, but if it was the cable would i be able to get 25k thru the router initially?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, its definitely not the cable. Ive tried several things with a new cable and no improvement.

Still lost

·
Premium Member
8,052 Posts
Ask them to come out and run diagnostics from the house.

TWC should not, and does not have any filter put in place to throttle your connection or not allow you to have a connection if you have a third party router. If you think that is the problem, you could try doing MAC Address Cloning, which takes the MAC Address from your PC and applies it to the WAN port of the router. This "tricks" the ISP to think that your PC is connected.

Are you only using one machine to test these tries or are you using multiple ones? Are there any switches, hubs, etc? Have you tried doing wireless vs wired and switched out any cables for new ones?

Last but not least, have you tried re-installing Windows?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
This is the one and only reason I will be using their router/modem... if I have any problems with their connection (being installed next week) There will be no excuses as to why my connection sucks (hopefully it doesn't)

edit: I'm also jumping ship from dsl

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive cloned the MAC address, and it always helps, sometimes its an absolute necessity to get any connection. I dont think its windows, its bad connection on all machines wired and otherwise on the network. Ive tried switching cables. The speeds are the same through the router for wired and wireless. There are no hubs or switches.

One of my room mates claimed he got good performance out of internet explorer and that firefox was to blame. I have to test this out now because the connections spikes and I have to see if he caught it at a good moment.

Any possibility that it could be firefox? Im reinstalling right now.

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts