Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to the terrible AM2 socket design not actually locking down the processor and the very stiff mounting bracket of the Nirvana, i now have about 20 bent pins!


Any good tips on bending them back? Im sitting here with a razor blade just trying to push them straight, its very difficult!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
549 Posts
I use to use thin tweezers when I worked in a repair shop.. gently bending the straight.
Was easy, just took time because I didnt want to snap any of them off
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies! I guess this is the best method, im just going to have to persevere and concentrate!

This has happened quite a few times now but usually no pins get bent, i just have the CPU stuck to the cooler. I dont understand the point of the AMD socket, it doesnt really lock the processor down, it just lines it up with the contact points.

Mabye its just my Ceramique paste is really sticky and thats what causes the cpu to ripped from its socket? Im moving on to OCZ freeze now so mabye it wont happen again!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,678 Posts
You could always run the pc for a few minutes then shut it down and the hs should come off easy, twisting left and right....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:


Originally Posted by pig69
View Post

Using a mechanical pencil with lead removed. The hollow tip is very helpful in correcting bent pins & its easier than a razor blade.

That sounds like a good idea but I dont think I have one =[, I know what pencil you mean though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,386 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by pig69
View Post

Using a mechanical pencil with lead removed. The hollow tip is very helpful in correcting bent pins & its easier than a razor blade.

^ this X over 9000
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:


Originally Posted by mitties
View Post

24 ounce ball pein hammer

Haha! Now if i had the money to replace it, id gladly do it with a hammer


I think its ok now, pc is starting up fine but seems really slow, i think its just my harddrives needing defrags, my 9 year old IDE struggles so much now


Thanks for the help guys! Rep+
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,476 Posts
Yup, the mechanical pencil (0.5 or 0.7mm) works great. Also, using a credit card instead of a razor works a little better for me, it is a little wider and easier to work with (if the pins are not bent too far).

As far as the pin location, they get bent no matter where they are. Some gripe about AMD having pins on the CPU, others about the pins on the MoBo getting bent on Intel.

And BTW, I would not use Ceramique on a CPU, not really needed since the HSF is held down by the retention system, so the TIM only needs to transfer heat, not secure the two together.
 

·
Turd Burglar
Joined
·
2,148 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pig69 View Post
Using a mechanical pencil with lead removed. The hollow tip is very helpful in correcting bent pins & its easier than a razor blade.

lol I was just going to post this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:


Originally Posted by blupupher
View Post

And BTW, I would not use Ceramique on a CPU, not really needed since the HSF is held down by the retention system, so the TIM only needs to transfer heat, not secure the two together.

Ah i did not know this, i thought it was just another thermal paste and didnt know it was an adhesive also
. Wondered why it constantly got stuck to the cooler! Its all good now, got OCZ Freeze on it and im 3.7ghz stable now!
 

·
!
Joined
·
17,294 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by blupupher View Post
Yup, the mechanical pencil (0.5 or 0.7mm) works great. Also, using a credit card instead of a razor works a little better for me, it is a little wider and easier to work with (if the pins are not bent too far).

As far as the pin location, they get bent no matter where they are. Some gripe about AMD having pins on the CPU, others about the pins on the MoBo getting bent on Intel.

And BTW, I would not use Ceramique on a CPU, not really needed since the HSF is held down by the retention system, so the TIM only needs to transfer heat, not secure the two together.
Ceramique is just a thermal paste lol

Not an adhesive
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,945 Posts
haven't tried using a mechanical pencil, but if I only bend one or two pins, I use a credit card or similar to get the pin lined up with all the other ones
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,169 Posts
When mine was bent, I used a jewler's screwdriver... one of those tiny ones. It worked well.

except it was too bent and had a weak spot and broke


RMA'd and all good now!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,445 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by sLowEnd
View Post

Ceramique is just a thermal paste lol

Not an adhesive

I think they still do have a disclaimer maybe that it is a little stickier than other compounds though.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top