Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would shoot a whole clip at a guy who's proned and didn't see me (proned as well) and I couldn't hit him. Then a guy right in front of me coming towards me, I shot and couldnt hit him. How do I use the sniper? I'm horrible with it, I haven't played since the beta. I was good then ><

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
Sniping is very weird in BF2 and thats why I never did it. I kind of stopped playing BF2 now aswell because not too many people were playing it. To snipe someone who is laying down, you need to shoot like under their neck to hit them. To get a headshot on someone moving, shoot them in the chin area. Anything above the eyeline NEVER registered for me. I even tested it at point blank range with the M95 on an AFK guy in gulf of oman. I could not hit hit when shooting above the eyes.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
what i like to do when sniping, is if you cant get a head shot, go for 2 torso shots. however, after they get hit once they usually bolt to hiding. for getting head shots, what i do is for the stock sniper rifle, is to aim at the top of the forehead. this is almost guaranteed a headshot. for a longer range shot, like the guy is starting to get hazy, aim a little above his head, maybe an inch or two from his perspective. this way, when the bullet drops, it will hit his head.

for the sniper unlock, bullet drop occurs a little faster, so you cant do range shots very well. for this, put your crosshairs on the top of the guy's head. like the black line is resting on top of his head, (imagine a guy balancing a ruler) this should hit him in the head. for long range shots, depending on how far away he is, you kinda have to guess, else i havent come up with a better way.

when they go prone, best thing to do is go prone as well, then yuo will have a personal little sniper war with the guy. you'll be harder to hit, as will he. try for a head shot, because most likely he will hit you if you stay in one place for too long. if he is moving back and forth, try to mimic his movements with your body. he goes left, you go left. this way the bullet is more likely to hit him, because it will be moving the same direction your opponent is. also you should note, when moving left and right, shooting becomes more inaccurate. you are more likely to miss if your body is moving around. best in my opinion is to just wait till the guy stops moving to line up his shot, and already have your bullet locked, loaded, and ready to get accuainted with his head.

generally, i like to avoid personal sniper wars if i can avoid it. too many people got too well acquainted with all sniping methods, and quite frankly, they own. whenever i can, if i see a sniper lining up, i will jump up and retreat for a few seconds, maybe long enough for him to have forgottem me. or, i just go find a better hiding place. you can be really clever here, there are really nifty sniper spots, and you will know when you've found an amazing one.

next time you play wake, go to beach. there is a bunker on the hill. use the pipe connecting to it to jump up on top. there will be a red piece of metal? on the top, with a couple bars under it. if you lay down, you can just see through the bars, towards south base. its only 2 or 3 inches, but you can see about 20' once you look at south base. ive gotten a number of kills that way. a high point: almost nothing can hit you, tanks and other snipers included. and it might just be me, but artillery strikes only rarely hit there either....

wow that was long, lol.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
1,073 Posts
This might be useful for you if you can be bothered reading it all!

Quote:
Before, when I tried sniping in this game, I found the class so useless/inaccurate. How naive I was. So, I stuck to being a medic, but many, many nights ago I had a rude awakening on how deadly the sniper class is in this game. Now, I continuously get top 10 rankings in 64 player servers with the sniper rifle. Here is my sweet, quick, and easy guide for more effective, lethal sniping which will hopefully open up a few doors to the class:

Number 1 Rule: (Fundamentals)
Be a sniper.
Sounds easy right? Negative. Being a sniper involves many actions, intuitions, and techniques that must be perfected. (I will go in depth with these later)

Number 2 Rule: (Positioning)
Move, move, move, move... Unless you have a really, really good spot.
If you're out in the open, you'll have a good view, but you'll be a sittin' duck. So pick a nice spot in some brush, grass, or even proned underneath a bush so that the enemy couldn't spot you with a telescope. In terms of ducking, and standing, or laying when firing your weapon, I found that if you use the aiming technique correctly, (will go in depth later), you'll still have perfect shots, so make sure that what ever position you're in, you're absolutely, positively, hidden.

Number 3 Rule: (Attitude)
Be merciless, but at a good pace. Before firing at your opponent, wait for them to slow down or stop. If they sense a sniper they'll sprint away. So you gotta make them feel like they're safe, hehe. After learning ABF, the special aim technique which I will cover later, place the cross hairs on the head, or better yet in the upper chest between the shoulders (this is the game's idea of where the heart is.) I find it better to aim for the chest from afar, and the head when they're up close and personal for obvious reasons. Read on.

*Number 4 Rule* AIMING TECHNIQUE (mucho importanto)
Patience, patience, patience. Here's the thing about this class. The game wants you to act like a sniper, so act like one. When an enemy is present, Do not just swing the cross hairs over to his body and fire right away. I gurantee, you will not hit your target. These aren't like the sniper rifles from counter-strike:source. *The technique* is aim, breathe, fire or ABF. The "breathing" is the mind focusing aspect of the sniper. So, if you're aiming for an enemy's heart, wait 2 seconds. Don't just fire, make sure the sight is on his heart, and take a "breath", then fire. What the game wants snipers to do is actually aim. It takes a small period of time for the scope to "settle" after you have moved it a bit.

If you can aim for the head, do so, but do it while thinking ABF (aim, breathe, fire). I gurantee, if you follow this technique, you will kill 95% of everyone you aim at. Remember, if you move your scope, even the tiniest bit, you need to let it settle before you fire. This is the equivalent to how a real sniper would aim, knowing that pulling the trigger will do the job. Even if your sights are clearly put on an enemy's head in an instant, for example, don't just fire! I assure you that you will be disappointed when you pull the trigger. Again, wait a 2 second minimum (or more for even more accuracy) if you want a sure shot. I stress that if you do this it feels much more "sniper like" and is very effective. Also, when you fire, hold the fire button. This will keep your scope up after you fire. I highly recommend holding the fire button down after a shot. Normally, if the scope is zooming in and out after you pull the trigger when you're not holding down the fire button after a shot, it's going to make you want to fire faster, which is a very bad thing. The point is to take your time and make each shot, a sure and focused shot.

If you miss:

If you miss don't get mad. Keep thinking ABF and continue executing. If you think about it, real snipers would have 9999 problems when facing enemies that could strafe left and right on a dime, and leap in the air like Michael Jordan would. So you won't hit your target everytime, but you will kill them.

Quick notes:
If an enemy is very, very nearby, and he's proned, ducking, or standing. Don't shoot his body. Aim for his head, or the back of his neck. If you shoot his body, he only gets hurt, and by the time you realize this, he has either spotted and killed you, or he ran to safety. Sometimes an enemy would just stay put if you're lucky.

Land mines.. Use them wisely and you will kill your enemies and not your friends.

Intuition.
Focus, think, be creative.

Edit: This guide applies to ALL CLASSES. Even though the guns are different, the same technique can be used for more effective attacks. The Chinese and Middle Eastern guns, have a very good advantage, and that is their increased rate of fire. Therefore, if you miss with one of those weapons, you can easily put a quick shot back in using ABF to finish the kill. However, the disadvantage is that their scopes aren't very accurate looking to some, compared to the M95 or U.S Scope.

Quote:
ADVANCED SNIPERS
"Wait to fire? There's no need. I can aim well on a dime and with non-moving targets, I will always make a sure shot, but it’s a whole new ball game if that target is moving."

Moving targets have always provided a problem for snipers. Logically, if a target moves it’s harder to hit. Why? Well one may say, because it's moving. This is true in a vague sense; however, there are 2 direct reasons as to why the success rate of a sure shot decreases if a marked target is moving at any given speed. The first reason is because when a target moves, the angle of shot, or view of target must be moved to match the target. In other words, when a target moves, the crosshairs must be moved as well. This takes accurate hand-eye coordination, and also is very difficult to do if the target increases its speed.

Therefore, a sniper must use the prediction method (which I'll cover later) in order to compensate for the target's movement, which gives way for the second major reason why it is difficult to hit a moving target. After the ejection of the bullet from a sniper rifle, there is a period of time it takes for the bullet to reach the target. Assuming that the target is still, the bullet will hit the destination it is pointed towards. More precisely, it will hit your mark if the aiming is concentrated and there are no other factors prohibiting a sure shot. However, even if a sniper still managed to mark the same exact spot (in this case we'll use an aimbot as an example) on a moving target a great distance away, the bullet will not hit its intended destination. This is because the bullet takes a short deal of time before it reaches its intended mark and by the time the trigger is pulled, the target has moved beyond or past the intended destination of the bullet. To counter against this unfortunate law of physics, snipers must assume where the target is moving towards, and aim ahead of the target. This is called leading the target. Leading the target allows the sniper to effectively place a bullet into its mark no matter what speed it is moving. Doing this however, takes great skill and a sort of third eye sense to visually predict where a target is moving towards.

This brings forth the Prediction Method. Admittedly, for us Snipers, the prediction method is not always 100% accurate for multiple reasons. The target may vary its speed, or even stop after the trigger has already been pulled. As a result, the bullet may go ahead of its target or behind its target depending upon a sniper who over-leads or under-leads his target. The point is, though, we are predicting and therefore must assume a target’s eventual destination; obvious proof for why this method is not entirely accurate. Fortunately, I have discovered that in Battlefield 2, leading a target is not as difficult as it sounds.

For those of you with a less than decent visual imagination, attempt to bare with me here. Visualize a target in front of you moving directly to the left of your vision. While visualizing, realize there are 3 different speeds a soldier in this game can move. The soldier can be aimed, firing, and moving which is slow-walking speed. A soldier may be jogging, which is medium-paced speed. Than, more difficultly, a soldier may be sprinting. Visualize a soldier moving left at slow walking speed, at a perpendicular angle to you, the sniper. At 50 meters, cross hairs must be placed approximately 1 head-length (on screen measurement) ahead of the moving target when firing. The crosshairs must also be aimed ahead of the target at eye-head level. Therefore, when a soldier moves into the bullet, it will hopefully hit his head for a 1 shot kill. At 100 meters, at the same speed, 1 head length increases to 2 head lengths and so on and so forth. For you math lovers out there, you may all clearly see, when leading an enemy target moving at slow-walking speed, a head length is directly proportionate to the distance of a target every 50 meters.

Tip: Check the distance from you and a nearby flag to get a feel for how far away 50/100/150 or more meters are.
Quiz question: So, if a target is approx. 25 m away, moving at slow-walking speed, how many head lengths ahead of the target do you aim? If you guessed .5 or half a head length, then you are a brilliant sniper.

For jogging speeds, and sprinting speeds, the Sniper calculating gets a little more difficult. At jogging speed and moving in the same direction, instead of 1 head length every 50 meters, it will be 2 head lengths every 50m. So, if a target is 100 meters away, moving at medium speed (jogging) and is moving directly left or directly right, a sniper must aim and fire ahead of its target at 4 head lengths and so on and so forth. As you can see, at medium speed, for every 50 meters you add 2 more head lengths to the lead of your aim.

For sprinting speeds, the same applies however instead of 2 head lengths for every 50 meters, it’s 3 head lengths. So, another quiz question! (yay) If a target is sprinting directly to the left or to the right, and is approx. 300 meters away, how many head lengths ahead of the target must you lead before the trigger is pulled? If you guessed 18 head lengths, then you are entirely WRONG! Why? Well this game is not realistic! At any speed at varying great distances the maximum head length that can be aimed at a moving target for a sure shot is 8 head lengths. Weird, I know. So, this applies to all speeds. Therefore, if a soldier is sprinting and is at any distance past 150 meters, then you aim 8 head lengths ahead of him, not 9 or any greater number. If jogging, than at any distance past 200 meters, you aim 8 head lengths. For walking.. Any distance past 400 meters is 8 head lengths.

Keep in mind, the size of the target's head varies depending on the distance of the target. You are measuring head lengths in terms of how big the head appears in the scope while aiming.

Lastly, if a target is moving diagonally, a sniper must measure its speed. For example, if a target is sprinting diagonally down and to the left, than its speed is equivalent to a soldier that is medium paced jogging directly to the left. At 100m then, a sniper must aim 4 head lengths down and to the left where the target is approaching. If it was sprinting up and to the left, then the same applies. Diagonal movement is a decrease in the speed of the target by 1 level. So, if a target is moving diagonally down or up and to the left or right, at medium speed in actuality, a sniper may presume its speed as slow walking. Therefore, the slow walking calculations apply. If the target is walking diagonally down or up and to the left or right, than a sniper may presume it as being half the speed of slow walking. So the slow walking calculations apply, so during diagnal movement, instead of 1 head length every 50 m for leading, it would be .5 head lengths every 50 meters.

This is a great deal of knowledge that goes towards sniping and moving targets for sure shots. You do not have to be calculating each shot before you actually take a shot, however this is raw knowledge that a sniper must familiarize himself/herself with through experience. Also keep in mind, these conditions apply to people with pings from 90-120 ms. If you have a significantly lower average ping than this, try decreasing the head lengths by a half throughout your calculations, when leading the target. (So if its 2 head lengths normally, make it 1.5)

·
Registered
115 Posts
As more of a side note, the M95 is a much better choice than the default sniper rifles such as the M24. Some disagree, but EA has already informed players that in the next patch, the M95 will have increased overall accuracy.

·
Registered
764 Posts
cool, im gonna get SF at the end of this month that game is so cool, especially for sniping cos you can get to hugely tall buildings

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Im not reading that book up there. But this is usefull i've found for city sniping. Take one sniper shot, if it hits bust out your pistol and fire off a few rounds. 1 sniper hit + 1 pistol bullet = kill This can get you lots of pistol kills/sniper kills and help keep your position under rap. Im working my way to expert pistol by now and im barely a staff srgnt.

·
Banned
5,423 Posts
Ya the hitboxes for sniping are wierd in BF2 but I pretty much got them figured out. I like sniping alot better on BF1942/DC...alot more releastic. But the best sniping experience I had was playing Delta Force II. There you gotta deal with wind and you have to zero the scope for the right range cause gravity effects the rounds.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
1,073 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by J3r3my
Ya the hitboxes for sniping are wierd in BF2 but I pretty much got them figured out. I like sniping alot better on BF1942/DC...alot more releastic. But the best sniping experience I had was playing Delta Force II. There you gotta deal with wind and you have to zero the scope for the right range cause gravity effects the rounds.
Actually gravity effects the rounds in BF2 they all have fall off ranges for each weapon

·
Registered
153 Posts
dunno what the heck bf2 is but anyway,
try shooting 'em in the crotch, its always funny in time crisis 3 when i play it in the arcade

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a little late for this forum but yea I was a huge delta force 2 fan and it was awesome. I think the zeroing was pretty unrealistic though and quite frankly with no recoil or any effects, you zeroed the scope, compensated a bit for the wind and shot. And with the tracers you could just keep compensating while shooting with no effect to your accuracy.

·
Premium Member
3,947 Posts
Holy 15 month old thread batman!

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
I got the upgraded sniper rifle (the powerful one), and I must say, the stock one is almost preferred...I dono...

Also, you just practice lots. I like to play on infantry only maps as a sniper all the time...city maps are my favourite.

On top of the hotel aiming towards the junkyard is a pretty sick spot...lol

You just get used to the sniper after a while...then you can hit anything you aim at.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fatal05
View Post

Holy 15 month old thread batman!

ahaha omg. wow.

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
On a good day, I'm unstoppable with a sniper rifle in BF2. I'll lead a team as a sniper, I love making the medic whores mad.

Lots of practice. Lots of it. A good mouse is a must, too. Don't even bother if you aren't using at least a decent optical mouse. Follow a good mouse tweaking guide like Antigen's, which is posted in our Peripherals section. It's long, but it makes a huge difference. Key thing: Take a few seconds longer to aim. The time it takes to aim and nail a headshot is much less than the time it takes to either pull out your pistol or reload for the second shot. Stay off of buildings. Yay, I'm on a building and it's fun! Well, great. You fire one shot, and everybody is going to be looking for you there. Work with your team. Snipers are supposedly a "lone wolf", but a lot of good you do yourself when you run out of ammo or take some fire. Keep your squad handy. And yes, that means you should not only join a squad, but work with them. You do nobody any good to camp one area the whole game. Be an offensive sniper. Not only is it more fun, but you do a better service to the team. Move with your squad.

OK, that's the basic synopsis of it. Memorize it, quiz next Tuesday.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts