Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe it isn't possible, but it never hurts to try it out. My temperatures are 33°C on idle and 47°C full load on my 1090T overclocked to 4.0GHz with a CPU Voltage of 1.5000V. The CPU/NB is at 2600MHz with a CPU/NB Voltage of 1.3000V. Pretty good but most people seem to hit 4.0GHz with just 1.4750V, or a bit less..
I realise at times it has to do with the CPU batch, the motherboard, the RAM, etc. However, perhaps I'm missing out something I could tweak to gain stability at a lower CPU Voltage.

Any tips on this?
My RAM is originally DDR3-1600MHz and 9-9-9-24 but has been set to run at DDR3-1333MHz and 7-7-7-20 in the BIOS, with its stock 1.80V RAM voltage. All other voltages are at stock (NB, SB, HT, etc).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,955 Posts
Better cooling will help you.
1.50V seems high for 4GHz. How big is your Vdroop?

Check the pic.
Turbo V.... Voltages set in BIOS
LL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How does better cooling help reduce the voltage?
The next step up would be a good custom watercooling loop, which I'm not willing to invest my time and money in. Ignoring temperatures considering they are nicely below any maintenance or danger threshold, what I'm trying to achieve is a stable overclock to 4.0GHz. In doing so, I want my CPU to be able to operate at this clock speed with a lower voltage. If my system has been tweaked as much as it can and 1.5000V is what it needs, stability at less would be defying the laws of physics so I would be content. However, perhaps there's another voltage or clock speed I should be looking to increasing that will make it stable at a lower CPU voltage.

I've noticed all your voltages are at stock. How stable is it?
I've also noticed you've overclocked it mostly by FSB. What's the advantage of this over just CPU multiplier?
Surely it makes things more difficult as you're overclocking everything as a result and need to tweak other mulitpliers too. Perhaps it's your new motherboard with that 890FX chipset that can really push it forward. Vdroop was the reduction in voltage from idle to full load, right?
If so, 0.038V as it is 1.493V at idle and 1.455V at full load, according to CPU-Z 1.55.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,955 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gib007 View Post
How does better cooling help reduce the voltage?
The next step up would be a good custom watercooling loop, which I'm not willing to invest my time and money in. Ignoring temperatures considering they are nicely below any maintenance or danger threshold, what I'm trying to achieve is a stable overclock to 4.0GHz. In doing so, I want my CPU to be able to operate at this clock speed with a lower voltage. If my system has been tweaked as much as it can and 1.5000V is what it needs, stability at less would be defying the laws of physics so I would be content. However, perhaps there's another voltage or clock speed I should be looking to increasing that will make it stable at a lower CPU voltage.

I've noticed all your voltages are at stock. How stable is it?
I've also noticed you've overclocked it mostly by FSB. What's the advantage of this over just CPU multiplier?
Surely it makes things more difficult as you're overclocking everything as a result and need to tweak other mulitpliers too. Perhaps it's your new motherboard with that 890FX chipset that can really push it forward. Vdroop was the reduction in voltage from idle to full load, right?
If so, 0.038V as it is 1.493V at idle and 1.455V at full load, according to CPU-Z 1.55.
Your temps are core temps, right?

I OC by FSB because I run my RAM @ 1900+MHz
For higher clocks, I use FSB and multiplier ( pic)
How stable is at 4GHz? Didn't test it too much because it was very easy to hit , so I moved forward.
I run it at 4.2GHz with 1.425V(that is like 1.44-1.46V at full load). It is 24h and some minutes P95 stable.
As you can see, its the same voltage at full load as yours, but 200MHz extra clock.
LL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by IOSEFINI View Post
Your temps are core temps, right?

I OC by FSB because I run my RAM @ 1900+MHz
For higher clocks, I use FSB and multiplier ( pic)
How stable is at 4GHz? Didn't test it too much because it was very easy to hit , so I moved forward.
I run it at 4.2GHz with 1.425V(that is like 1.44-1.46V at full load). It is 24h and some minutes P95 stable.
As you can see, its the same voltage at full load as yours, but 200MHz extra clock.
Ahh, sorry, forgot to mention - the temperatures I gave are the true CPU temperatures, not the buggy core ones which are 10-12°C lower in every case.

I haven't stress tested my current overclock for anything like 24 hours but it holds well in Prime95, hours of gaming and rendering in 3ds Max 2010. 1.425V in the BIOS for 4.2GHz is a piss-take of a voltage, hahaha. I only run my RAM at 1333MHz instead of the stock 1600MHz because with my previous CPU (X4 965 C3), running it at 1600MHz gave me problems overclocking. It wasn't until I reduced the clock speed to 1333MHz that I could actually overclock. Not sure what was going on there!!
Any ideas of what I could try?
Thanks!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,955 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gib007 View Post
Ahh, sorry, forgot to mention - the temperatures I gave are the true CPU temperatures, not the buggy core ones which are 10-12°C lower in every case.

I haven't stress tested my current overclock for anything like 24 hours but it holds well in Prime95, hours of gaming and rendering in 3ds Max 2010. 1.425V in the BIOS for 4.2GHz is a piss-take of a voltage, hahaha. I only run my RAM at 1333MHz instead of the stock 1600MHz because with my previous CPU (X4 965 C3), running it at 1600MHz gave me problems overclocking. It wasn't until I reduced the clock speed to 1333MHz that I could actually overclock. Not sure what was going on there!!
Any ideas of what I could try?
Thanks!

Push your RAM @ 1600 . Thubans have better Memory Controller than Denebs.
Dont know if you noticed , but I run my RAM @ 1920 6-9-6-21

CPU temps are buggy too. Since I have a good WC set up, the diff. between cpu temp and core temp were 20C. I put a fan (AMD heatsink fan) blowing towards the back of my mobo(CPU area), and m CPU temps dropped 5C in less than 2 min.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by IOSEFINI View Post
Push your RAM @ 1600 . Thubans have better Memory Controller than Denebs.
Dont know if you noticed , but I run my RAM @ 1920 6-9-6-21

CPU temps are buggy too. Since I have a good WC set up, the diff. between cpu temp and core temp were 20C. I put a fan (AMD heatsink fan) blowing towards the back of my mobo(CPU area), and m CPU temps dropped 5C in less than 2 min.
I've only had this CPU for a day and a bit so I haven't discovered how good it is yet, hehe!

I'll try pushing my RAM to DDR3-1600MHz. Besides, that's its stock clock speed. I'll keep my timings at 7-7-7-20 though as I like them overclocked. That said, do you think this will allow me to lower the CPU voltage and maintain stability?
I'm not sure how this would be related.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top