Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so sick of New Egg not police-ing their New Egg Open Box item section. The place is riddled with bots that buy up all the items, especially graphics cards just to turn in a quick profit on ebay. And on top of that, if you actually get an item in your cart or even have actually submitted payment for it, someone else can still buy the item out from under you. I am tired of this and we, as a community need to be heard. I am suggesting doing one of two things to help resolve this issue:

1) Make an online petition and share it not just with this forum, but with all hardware/PC/Overclocking forums we are a part of to demand two specific things:

A) That a bot verification tool be implemented when checking out where you have to type a word or phrase to verify you are a real person similar to how ticket master works

B) That there be a lockout period for an item placed in your cart; i.e. you have placed this item in your cart, please purchase within 2 minutes or the item will be released from your cart. Again, sites like ticket master have been using this technology for years now.

2) Start a campaign to call/email/chat with New Egg customer service to demand the same two items above.

This would make the process of actually getting open-box items so much easier and less frustrating. I have no problem waiting for these deals or using an auto-page refresher (since it still requires you to actually be by your computer to buy), but it's gotten out of hand. Finally getting a 7970, putting my credit card information and purchasing, only to be told later that the order was cancelled, was the last straw for me.
If anyone else here feels the same way, let's stop complaining and actually do something about it.

Thanks,

Ryan
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,241 Posts
Open box items are not a right, Newegg doesn't owe anything to you, they are open to all to purchase. I don't see many other places that even have open box deals that are like newegg's - mainly they end up being $10 cheaper and come damaged. I have personally purchased several high end GPU's and other components from newegg open box with zero issues.

Try using Paypal with your account, it will make it much quicker
rolleyes.gif
 

·
semi-legit
Joined
·
7,980 Posts
Sorry, going to disagree man - the bots are a factor. I haven't seen a decent vid card in the open box section for a very, very long time.
 

·
OG AMD
Joined
·
8,923 Posts
Who's to say some Newegg employee isn't buying them all up? Don't see any way to get around it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
appleg33k85, I will try using paypal, that might help a little. The point I was trying to make though is New Egg has built it's reputation by offering excellent prices and more importantly, excellent customer service. This site was made in the spirit of supporting people like us on this site, not some d-bag that makes his living cheating others who wait for hours, days and even months for a good deal since components, especially graphics cards, are very expensive. And if we can't afford an overpriced, $550 graphics card, we certainly don't have the money to create an auto-buy script even if we wanted to. Let's just level the playing field, j/s...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,481 Posts
I agree. its seriously annoying...while i have gotten several great deals on OB (and all of hem arrived new), i still can't get another 6950 on OB.
 

·
semi-legit
Joined
·
7,980 Posts
PayPal isn't the answer; the buyer should be able to use a credit card for a payment if they want to regardless (not to mention it's easier for alternate shipping addresses).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarrett96 View Post

appleg33k85, I will try using paypal, that might help a little. The point I was trying to make though is New Egg has built it's reputation by offering excellent prices and more importantly, excellent customer service. This site was made in the spirit of supporting people like us on this site, not some d-bag that makes his living cheating others who wait for hours, days and even months for a good deal since components, especially graphics cards, are very expensive. And if we can't afford an overpriced, $550 graphics card, we certainly don't have the money to create an auto-buy script even if we wanted to. Let's just level the playing field, j/s...
Honestly if you don't have the $$ to spend on high end equipment, then don't buy high end equipment. They are around because they do offer good customer service, as any time I've head to deal with a return, needed price matching, etc. they were amazing with it - also check out their site and navigation compared to other crappy sites (TD anyone? who finds anything on there?!?!) - again, look around, you're not going to find OB like you do on the 'egg. If someone makes their money buying and then reselling then more power to them
thumb.gif
- you're welcome to take business elsewhere if you don't like their practices, its a free world market
smile.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleg33k85 View Post

If someone makes their money buying and then reselling then more power to them
thumb.gif
- you're welcome to take business elsewhere if you don't like their practices, its a free world market
smile.gif
While I won't begrudge someone to make a living, it's the manner in which they are doing it by using bots, an unfair business practice in my opinion. And several other companies must agree as they have practices in place to prevent this. I'm just asking new egg to do the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleg33k85 View Post

Honestly if you don't have the $$ to spend on high end equipment, then don't buy high end equipment.
Rude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleg33k85 View Post

They are around because they do offer good customer service, as any time I've head to deal with a return, needed price matching, etc. they were amazing with it - also check out their site and navigation compared to other crappy sites (TD anyone? who finds anything on there?!?!) - again, look around, you're not going to find OB like you do on the 'egg.
Good to see that you recognize the fact that NewEgg differentiates themselves from similar companies with their exemplary customer service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleg33k85 View Post

If someone makes their money buying and then reselling then more power to them
thumb.gif
- you're welcome to take business elsewhere if you don't like their practices, its a free world market
smile.gif
And here's where you're wrong. NewEgg doesn't get their bread buttered by a few bot-wielding-ebay-sellers. They make money and are a household name because they offer a great selection at decent prices with GREAT customer service. Their customer service didn't become so great by them saying "Well, this is enough. We don't have to do anything else for our customers now." That type of mentality is what leads to your Tigerdirect/ASUS customer service nightmares. NewEgg has awesome customer service because they care about what their customers think and what makes them happy.

The beauty of a free world market is that NewEgg has the ability to force would-be-bot-users to buy items one at a time. Those few customers will still make their purchases, but NewEgg's big customers (me and you) will also be happy because we have a fair shot too. So I ask, why wouldn't NewEgg want to do this? Because they think like you that it's perfectly fine if these ppl want to make money at the expense of NewEgg's overall customer satisfaction? I seriously doubt they'd agree with your justifications, and tend to think they'd actually be very open to anti-bot verification. J/S
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,798 Posts
This is a great idea! The bot thing has gotten WAY OUT OF HAND. It is to the point now where someone not using bots has NO chance of getting the higher end cards. As soon as it's in stock, refresh the page and it's gone, if you can even catch it where it says it's in stock. There needs to be some sort of bot verification implemented. It is NOT fair for someone who is looking for a good deal to upgrade from there old card only to get beat out by some bot with which a person will only use it to turn around and make a quick profit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
Is the botting new? Or is it only an issues on cards? I haven't checked their open box section since I got my SteelSeries Sibera's practically brand new for $30.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,044 Posts
The botting seems to be on video cards and monitors mainly. Huge profit margins if you get the right cards.

@ OP you come up with a plan and iam in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Conzilla, I will draw up an official petition within a couple of days since I think that will be the easier route. I think that individual people constantly calling/emailing/chatting with them to complain might be more effective, but I need numbers ahead of time for that. If we can pull this off, the bot whores will be very, very, nervous : )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also, if anyone has any idea on how to make the petition more accessible i.e. google docs, etc, please let me know. I'm not that good when it comes to that stuff...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
LOL @ the people in this thread defending independent online traders.

i hope i never hear ANY of the proponents of bot buying griping about the economic situation, because this very subject is an issue in world trade markets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj9LVg0upxU

algorithmic trading, or more popularly known under the misnomer high-frequency trading (which refers to large quantities of small trades carried out almost simultaniously) is proven to cause market instability and in turn costs genuine consumers and artificially raise the demand beyond sustainable levels.

exactly the same mentality is clearly evident here, turning a quick buck with minimal risk for the seller themselves while forcing the rest of the market into more economically restricted situations.

the argument can't simply be "well they can afford the equipment and investment to run these automated sellers so they deserve the items" because thats only contextually different from a guy who works in an office all day getting mugged on his way home and saying "well he was faster than me so i guess he deserves my wallet".

there has to be some guidelines about fair trading, or it will be unsustainable in the long term.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top