Overclock.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tax season is here, and I'm expecting some decent change in returns. Once I get that money in, 100% of it will go towards my new project. I've got a spreadhsheet going currently that outlines my predicted purchases and components. The "needs" column lists the items that will be purchased in the first wave. "Wants" will come late, I'm thinkin March or April. Gimme dem ideas!

Critique related to components themselves or even prioritization of my wants/needs is appreciated. For instance, I own a PSU already that could power this system, but I prioritized that over sleeving because I wanted to know exactly what I was working with before I dove into MDPCs website. Does that make sense?

I can't wait to get in that Temjin
thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
7,706 Posts
I think you should buy more than 2 feet of tubing. I used to buy a minimum of 8' at a time, but you can get away with a little less. 2' is cutting it very short (pun intended). I also think you can save some money on your PSU and still get a high quality one. $209 is pretty steep for a 750w. An XSPC Raystorm will save you $27 on a CPU block. If you're running pure distilled, you'll want to get a silver kill coil and some biocide.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Get an AX750 PSU. Should be cheaper than that Ax760i.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quick update. I totally forgot my Radiator fittings, which added enough up front cost to remove the PSU. Now I've got a shipping cost cushion in my "needs"
I might shuffle the RAM or some sleeving into the needs.
test
I just realized that those shorter cables might not fit the Seasonic PSU. Anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
You could get another 120GB SSD for RAID 0, although it is not recommended to RAID 0, due to failures of one drive. I still think you are over spending on the PSU. I would get an AX750 if it is cheaper than that seasonic PSU. You could put in a reference GTX 670 if space is a limiting factor. Or you could use a HD 7950 and get 2 games for free with it.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atham View Post

You could get another 120GB SSD for RAID o, although it is not recommended to RAID 0, due to failures of one drive. I still think you are over spending on the PSU. I would get an AX750 if it is cheaper than that seasonic PSU. You could put in a reference GTX 670 if space is a limiting factor. Or you could use a HD 7950 and get 2 games for free with it.
Hm, maybe I'm looking at the wrong place, but on the egg, the AX750 is usually $179 as well. The current $30 promotion only lasts til tonight, and I won't be able to get it. The Seasonic is fully modular (which is important to me) and rated platinum (which is a nice plus, but not likely too noticeable compared to the gold Corsair).

Nub question, which I'm sure a google search could answer but I like hearing peer-to-peer responses: when you say reference card, what do you mean?

The Raid0 configuration is a consideration for the future. I reckon I might as well add it to the Wants list
tongue.gif

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
A reference card, at least to my understanding, is a card that is the same as nVidia's OEM design, however, different manufacturers sell this card i.e. ASUS, Sapphire, XFX, EVGA, Gigabyte and etc...

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atham View Post

A reference card, at least to my understanding, is a card that is the same as nVidia's OEM design, however, different manufacturers sell this card i.e. ASUS, Sapphire, XFX, EVGA, Gigabyte and etc...
So if I plan to watercool the GPU eventually, getting a "reference" card is suggested because it will be cheaper?
By your definition, my 560ti is a reference card. It has the NVIDIA housing still, and I've no complaints, other than that it runs a tooch hot.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seredin View Post

So if I plan to watercool the GPU eventually, getting a "reference" card is suggested because it will be cheaper?
By your definition, my 560ti is a reference card. It has the NVIDIA housing still, and I've no complaints, other than that it runs a tooch hot.
Yes. Most water blocks are for reference PCB cards. Therefore, for water-cooling, it is recommended to get a reference model card, in order to alleviate any compatibility issues.

• Rep+
Reactions: Seredin
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.