Overclock.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

My girlfriend has a Dell Studio 17" lappie with a T5750 processor which she folds on (for team OCN I might add
). I was concerned about the temps due to the fan seeming to run at 100% constantly (a Dell machine so obviously it's a cheap fan and ridiculously loud) so after installing Real Temp and assuming the default TJMax is correct at 100C I've noticed that while folding and sitting on a desk with a pretty low room temperature the highest temp it reached over about 30 minutes was 98C! I know the max supposed "safe" temp is 100C but getting close to it while in an ideal environment (placed on a desk with a low enough room temp) is worrying to me as she uses it on her lap quite often.

We will be sending the machine back over the next month or two as there's some problems with the screen and keyboard so I just want to find out if the temps are indicative of a fan/cpu problem or if this is the norm.

Does anyone know the TJMax for this processor?

BTW I've been running an Orthos CPU test for approximately 15 minutes and the max temp hit is already 97C.

Also to anyone thinking of getting a Dell Studio I'd like to advise them strongly against it, the build quality is terrible, the speakers are the worst I've ever heard ono a laptop and the keyboard is incredibly cheap

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd prefer to get the money back and buy a decent one from someone else though

Hindsight is a great thing

·
Premium Member
9,511 Posts
Has to be worth a try! My laptop doesn't go less than 20 to the TJ max, or in english lol never over 80c

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will try for sure, but I would be absolutely amazed if Dell were willing to give my money back. I would actually... respect them...?

I'm just looking forward to calling the tech line and them telling me to re-install Vista lol

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol they know as well as I do there's more chance of overclocking my cup of coffee than a Dell lappie

·
Premium Member
7,263 Posts
its normal that its going to run at that folding
how onld is it and what are your room temps?

yes 100c is the tj, 100c is also max safe from intel

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skullzaflare View Post
its normal that its going to run at that folding
how onld is it and what are your room temps?

yes 100c is the tj, 100c is also max safe from intel
Are you sure about that? It seems a bit dangerous for the CPU to run at the maximum rated temperature when only under 70-80% load.

The laptop is not even 6 months old and although I don't know for sure what the room temp is I'd guesstimate it at around 17-19C.

·
Premium Member
7,263 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Threefeet
View Post

Are you sure about that? It seems a bit dangerous for the CPU to run at the maximum rated temperature when only under 70-80% load.

The laptop is not even 6 months old and although I don't know for sure what the room temp is I'd guesstimate it at around 17-19C.

going by age the heatsink may be clogged, try blowing it out

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skullzaflare View Post
going by age the heatsink may be clogged, try blowing it out
When I see my GF again on Wednesday I'll bring some compressed air and give it a go. TBH it's only a few months old so I'm doubtful it's clogged already, but it's worth a try before I RMA that sucker.

Cheers!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts