Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:

Few people understand Microsoft better than Tandy Trower, who worked at the company from 1981-2009. Trower was the product manager who ultimately shipped Windows 1.0, an endeavor that some advised him was a path toward a ruined career. Four product managers had already tried and failed to ship Windows before him, and he initially thought that he was being assigned an impossible task. In this follow-up to yesterday’s story on the future of Windows, Trower recounts the inside story of his experience in transforming Windows from vaporware into a product that has left an unmistakable imprint on the world, 25 years after it was first released.

Read

·
Starting to become a BOFH
10,471 Posts
Quote:

IBM AT systems that featured hard drives were just starting to be available so I was not permitted to consider that a minimum requirement. In any case, few people recognized that Microsoft had a harder time in developing Windows than Apple did with the Mac, since Apple controlled all the hardware its software ran on. Windows had the ambition to support "device independence," which meant-in theory-it could support any display adapter or printer.

Heh, Apple choked itself from the beginning.

EDIT: HOLY SHI-!!!

Quote:

One of my program managers, Gabe Newell-now the head of the successful game company Valve-would pound on the software until late into the night and morning hours and then sleep in his office.

I DID NOT know that Gabe was one of the original Windows writers!

EDIT:

Quote:

In 1988, Apple decided to sue Microsoft over Windows 2.0's "look and feel", claiming it infringed on Apple's visual copyrights. Having been a principal manager in charge during development of Windows 2.0, I was now caught up in the maelstrom and over the next year I got a thorough education on the US legal process as I briefed the Microsoft legal team, created exhibits for them, and was grilled by deposition by the other side. To me the allegation clearly had no merit as I had never intended to copy the Macintosh interface, was never given any directive to do that, and never directed my team to do that.

Apple and MS have been at it since day 1. xD

EDIT:

EAT IT MAC LOVERS!

Quote:

And prototypes of Windows existed long before the first appearance of the Macintosh.

·
cd C:\TEMP\
2,309 Posts
Interesting read

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by aSilva
View Post

nice pic on that article he guy on the right looks like the guy from The beatles...

You must be thinking of that douchebag from Oasis or any one of the Beatles really.

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
thanks for this

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by legoman786 View Post
Heh, Apple choked itself from the beginning.

EDIT: HOLY SHI-!!!

I DID NOT know that Gabe was one of the original Windows writers!

EDIT:

Apple and MS have been at it since day 1. xD

EDIT:

EAT IT MAC LOVERS!

Yea didn't know that about Gabe. Very awesome read. I never really thought about hardware at that time and how microsoft had to support all of it. But your right basically apple shot themselves in the foot even at that time. Crazy stuff.

·
Starting to become a BOFH
10,471 Posts
I'm surprised no one else read this yet.

·
Premium Member
8,388 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pibbz
View Post

Now it all makes sense! He's a crap game developer AND a crap OS developer.

Please elaborate. He's the man behind the award winning half life series and the source engine - one of the most versatile, lightweight and popular engines on the planet.

Oh and don't forget steam, the most popular digital distribution app for Windows (and now mac) Games.

Gabe was on the board responsible for DirectX, IIRC.

·
Premium Member
7,734 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Uhhh what?

Quote:

Originally Posted by justarealguy
View Post

Please elaborate. He's the man behind the award winning half life series and the source engine - one of the most versatile, lightweight and popular engines on the planet.

Oh and don't forget steam, the most popular digital distribution app for Windows (and now mac) Games.

Gabe was on the board responsible for DirectX, IIRC.

This.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Quote:

View Post

in the infamous words of Boxxy....
yous trollin

Love how MS started as a company.
in my opinion, MS were the visionaries for hardware support. I mean look at the competition between them and apple.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Quote:

View Post

This troll must die! I love Team Fortress 2 more then my child... if i had one.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.