Overclock.net banner

301 - 319 of 319 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanjaSMK View Post

If only there were proof...

And don't misread my underlying tone for something it's not! I am by no means a disbeliever in existence.

What I mean is... for x's sake....... let's get some damn evidence (conclusive)!

The reality is with the sheer and incredibly vast amount of galaxies, stars, planets, etc - there is absolutely no way we're the only intelligent creatures (a term which I use loosely, because we're really not all that intelligent as a species...) in this universe. Seriously. Impossible it's just us.
Hate to break it to ya but it's just us. There is no other intelligent life out there, or we'd have found it (or they'd have found us) by now.

·
Super Moderator
14,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizz View Post

Hate to break it to ya but it's just us. There is no other intelligent life out there, or we'd have found it (or they'd have found us) by now.
Have you explored the entire universe?

Do you even understand how big it is?

We have only been searching for extraterrestrials for the last 70-80 years. Maybe extraterrestrials have found us and are sending us messages but we don't know about them because we are listening in the wrong place.

·
Totally New to OCN
10,627 Posts
Quote:

he says its just us, you mean humans? there are other species on this planet that can eventually vie for supremecy.

If there are enough species on our planet to exist through mass extinctions one after another (which were each capable of stopping life all together) and Still Find a Way, they keep coming back and better and stronger than before over and over and over again.

that.. it invalidates the possibility of a 0% chance of life never existing outside of our 1 planet.

I for one will 100% believe in Creationism once the Alien Overlords come down and show me around

·
Not New to Overclock.net
1,688 Posts
Quote:

Saying it's impossible is pretty naive in my opinion. The universe is currently estimated at 46 billion light years in size, it would take 46 billion years to travel across the universe at the speed of light. So you think in our tiny blip of our intellectual existence, keep in mind it's only been ~10,000 years since civilization was created and writing even sooner, that they must have contacted by now or else they don't exist? Maybe they choose not to contact, haven't found us at all (mostly likely I think, given the vastness of the universe), or haven't observed us in an evolved state (maybe they came by and we were still dirty apes). The absence of evidence doesn't equal the evidence of absence. You could be right, but as of now what we know about the universe points to there being life somewhere out there. We just started searching, did anyone really expect results yet (if proof can even be found during our existance)?

·
Master of Black Snow
19,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrews2547 View Post

Quote:

Have you explored the entire universe?

Do you even understand how big it is?

We have only been searching for extraterrestrials for the last 70-80 years. Maybe extraterrestrials have found us and are sending us messages but we don't know about them because we are listening in the wrong place.
Or maybe because they don't want anything to do with us backwards as Earthlings.
lachen.gif

~Ceadder
smil3dbd4e4c2e742.gif

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceadderman View Post

Untrue. Don't sweat it. Fear not, Chicken Little will be drowned soon if he doesn't find his water wings. India and California are on opposite sides of the Pacific. If this were indeed true, my Cali homies would be building an Ark and stocking up 420 for the appocolypse.
thumb.gif

~Ceadder
smil3dbd4e4c2e742.gif
http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/2010/10/20/bangladesh_india_at_risk_from_climate_change/
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S221209631300003X

I could keep going but I've made my point.

This groupthink nonsense is appauling, if you doubt something you really should research it instead of what you're pulling now.

·
Master of Black Snow
19,338 Posts
China "high" risk? Compared to the United States being "medium" risk?
rolleyes.gif

The US coastal region occupies more latitudinal region than China on TWO coasts. Not including the Gulf coast.
blinksmiley.gif

People need to stop drinking the Kool-Aid.
wink.gif

~Ceadder
smil3dbd4e4c2e742.gif

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Quote:

China "high" risk? Compared to the United States being "medium" risk?
rolleyes.gif

The US coastal region occupies more latitudinal region than China on TWO coasts. Not including the Gulf coast.
blinksmiley.gif

People need to stop drinking the Kool-Aid.
wink.gif

~Ceadder
smil3dbd4e4c2e742.gif
Only one of us has brought cited resources so yes, if anyone 's word is going to be taken, it's the guy who actually supports what he's talking about. Which isn't you, just in case that was unlear. In relation to this topic at least.

·
Master of Black Snow
19,338 Posts
Did you read your so called source?

How is China more in danger from flooding than two coasts of them US?!? Can you can explain that?

Common sense just took a big fat dump on your source.

~Ceadder
smil3dbd4e4c2e742.gif

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Quote:

Did you read your so called source?

How is China more in danger from flooding than two coasts of them US?!? Can you can explain that?

Common sense just took a big fat dump on your source.

~Ceadder
smil3dbd4e4c2e742.gif
Rivers connect to the ocean silly. Rivers flood as well. You might want to read the links before you start attacking them.
thumb.gif
Or don't. I think it's hilarious how you keep doing this to yourself over and over again.

·
Master of Black Snow
19,338 Posts
And again, we have a lot of Rivers here too along all 3 coasts not to mention them Great Lakes.

Stop me if I've missed something but my knowledge of Geography doesn't remember Antarctica being anywhere near China, nor do I remember Rivers being inlets for Seawater. Your river comeback is a tad flimsy.
rolleyes.gif

So why don't we get back on their topic of this Billionaire flushing his money down the toilet. His money though. He can do whatever he likes so long as it's legal.
thumb.gif

~Ceadder
smil3dbd4e4c2e742.gif

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Quote:

And again, we have a lot of Rivers here too along all 3 coasts not to mention them Great Lakes.

Stop me if I've missed something but my knowledge of Geography doesn't remember Antarctica being anywhere near China, nor do I remember Rivers being inlets for Seawater. Your river comeback is a tad flimsy.
rolleyes.gif

So why don't we get back on their topic of this Billionaire flushing his money down the toilet. His money though. He can do whatever he likes so long as it's legal.
thumb.gif

~Ceadder
smil3dbd4e4c2e742.gif
Do you honestly not get how sea level works?

If you don't think rivers connect to oceans then your geography knowledge is freaking awful. You have plenty of rivers in the US which connect to oceans and ones that do not connect to oceans.

For example the New, Whitewater and Alamo rivers flow into the salton sea whereas the Jordan , Bear and Weber rivers empty into Great Salt Lake.

If you want to get on topic simply stop responding. I'm only continuing that portion of the discussion because you keep mutilating the topic by

1) not reading what is presented and then commenting on it
2) having absolutely no clue when it comes to geography as it relates to the subject
3) not understanding that when enough ice melts it raises the sea level for all attached bodies of water
and
4) refuting facts from the scientific community at large when you have absolutely no credentials in the field being discussed.

It's like you went through a checklist on how to invalidate your opinion and not be taken seriously, you even used ad hominem attacks, attacking the presenter rather than addressing the merit of what has been brought up.

·
Master of Black Snow
19,338 Posts
rolleyes.gif

You obviously don't understand what I was saying and the concept of displacement.

I'm done with this. Just let it go Mate.
cheers.gif

~Ceadder
smil3dbd4e4c2e742.gif

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Instead of letting you get under my skin, like that was meant to do. I'm going to post a funny clip from the 1990s to defuse the tension.
smile.gif

Have a nice night!

·
Master of Black Snow
19,338 Posts
lachen.gif

I love that bit. Too bad they clip wasn't longer.

Apologies if you thought I said what I did to get under your skin. Wasn't meant to in their least.
cheers.gif

~Ceadder
smil3dbd4e4c2e742.gif

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Quote:

lachen.gif

I love that bit. Too bad they clip wasn't longer.

Apologies if you thought I said what I did to get under your skin. Wasn't meant to in their least.
cheers.gif

~Ceadder
smil3dbd4e4c2e742.gif
Ahhh. Maybe I just need a snickers then? I get a little weird when I get hungry.

·
Premium Member
9,832 Posts
Quote:

Highly doubt that, but it is my own opinion. To each his own.
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
3,370 Posts
Quote:

A direct extention of what you are saying would be that the Americas or Australia or any other remote continent did not exist because people from Europe, Asia & Africa could not walk or ride a horse to it, right?

Its a big gamble trying to detect organized EM signals in the vast universe, and due to the speed of EM (that of light) we can only see in the far past for far-away worlds (thousands if not millions of years back into their history) and at the same token our own signals only have made it a few decades worth away, in an ever expanding bubble of EM influence.
Even if someone was to detect our signals from the 50s, unless they were capable of faster than light travel or non-linear space travel in general, it would take them 60-70 earth years at best to reach us = perhaps not worthwhile for them.

Existence or not of ET life is a pretty safe bet based on the number of stars out there, but the probability of us finding it or it finding us is very unlikely due to the vastness of the universe, and the chances of us "meeting" each other is even more remote.

So, although effectively you could be right and the existence or not of intelligent ET life is irrelevant to most people alive today, in the long run it could be a game-changer, and so would be the pursue of any short of tech that would bring us closer to exploring and exploiting space - doesn't need to be thousands of LY away.

If the carrot for the donkey needs to be ET intelligence, so be it.

·
Totally New to OCN
10,627 Posts
is that even an opinion?

There is no data that suggest a 0% chance of life existing in some form outside of our Planet.

In fact, the data suggest there is definitely higher than 0% chance that life could exist outside of Earth.

15 Confirmed Mesoplanet's within 2500 Lightyears of our planet, having been located in just he last 5 years , with our Galaxy being 100,000 Light years in diameter..

you do the math man... This is no longer a simple Opinion. How many Similar exo planets might be in andromeda?

you still thing there is 0% chance for life to exist in even a Galaxy outside of our own?

301 - 319 of 319 Posts