Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by technewsworld
Hackers have posted the source code for two Symantec security products, claiming they obtained the information from systems belonging to Indian military intelligence. The products affected are four and five years old, Symantec said. "If the source code from product released in the past three or four years was compromised, I'd be pretty concerned," said security consultant Randy Abrams.
Source

Doesn't sound good at all for Symantec....

·
@knightsbr1dge
1,568 Posts
Ouch?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Quote:
The products affected are four and five years old
And then:
Quote:
If the source code from product released in the past three or four years was compromised, I'd be pretty concerned
Seems too me like self-contradicting.

It's unlikely that there will be any exploits that will leave users vulnerable seeing it's mostly legacy code though.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
I thought, from the other story around here about the "hack" that got the source code, that the code is quite old, and really isn't used to any extent for any of symantec's more-current security products? I'm sure there's always SOME bit of source code shared from old products, but from the other things I've come across about this, it's not a very serious security issue for product users.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
The first article was over hyped. This is still a big deal, but not something to freak out about.

·
Banned
4,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVenom View Post

The first article was over hyped. This is still a big deal, but not something to freak out about.
Yea because millions of machines don't have older symantec products installed or anything...
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Its Ironic, in a sense.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvjavs View Post

If they have old/out of date anti-virus software they deserve to get a virus.
anti-virus software is outdated. I haven't used anything, even windows defender, and any virus/trojan I've found on my system has been my own darn fault.

10 years with no anti-vi/anti-mal and 3 "trojan/viruses" total. I run these cleaners maybe twice a year, if I remember.

Smart browsing, is, IMHO, a heck of a lot more effective than any anti-virus/malware program on the market today.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturin View Post

anti-virus software is outdated. I haven't used anything, even windows defender, and any virus/trojan I've found on my system has been my own darn fault.

10 years with no anti-vi/anti-mal and 3 "trojan/viruses" total. I run these cleaners maybe twice a year, if I remember.

Smart browsing, is, IMHO, a heck of a lot more effective than any anti-virus/malware program on the market today.
I haven't found a single virus/trojan/etc in my system in the last 4 years. And i don't use any AV programs.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilam3d View Post

I haven't found a single virus/trojan/etc in my system in the last 4 years. And i don't use any AV programs.
Exactly.

Smart Browsing FTW!

·
Premium Member
8,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdutchguy View Post

Quote:
The products affected are four and five years old
And then:
Quote:
If the source code from product released in the past three or four years was compromised, I'd be pretty concerned
Seems too me like self-contradicting.
It's unlikely that there will be any exploits that will leave users vulnerable seeing it's mostly legacy code though.
Not at all. Symantec conducted a full code rewrite 3-4 years ago, and came out with an extremely capable product.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Quote:

This is exactly whats needed

·
Banned
4,563 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KusH View Post

Yea because millions of machines don't have older symantec products installed or anything...
rolleyes.gif
doh.gif
Not everyone can afford to upgrade every year, and just because you have an old product doesn't mean it's out of date.
Quote:

Quote:

This is the best solution. Hence the reason why I teach my clients if they're willing to learn how to use firefox with noscript add-on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilam3d View Post

Quote:

An educated user is the ultimate anti-virus. However not everyone wants to learn how to be safe, so in a sense I don't feel bad, but I don't like anti-virus companies to begin with as I think they are the culprits behind a lot of malware themselves.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Quote:

This is a beautiful thought and of course it's true too. But it only works for that 1% of internet users that know how to use it
smile.gif

Then of course there are public institutions like workplaces and schools that can't expect every PC user to care about what apps they run or download. Also, if it's your job to inspect/evaluate/review other peoples' software/documents/media on your PC (freelance journalist etc.) , you can't always decide what you will and will not run on your PC.

·
Fantastic Mr Fox
5,862 Posts
Quote:

But not perfect. Legitimate sites can be compromised and send extra gifts to your computer when you visit them. TBH, the only smart browsing is no browsing.

·
Premium Member
11,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave12 View Post

Ouch to image, but nothing of value has been taken/released.
You have it all wrong. It's of a lot of value - it's the source code of software installed on millions of computers.

If spread online, it would probably lead to a bunch of new viruses exploiting vulnerabilities in the software.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts