Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am looking at going into this field as a career and am looking for any advice I can get. I am sure there are some knowledgeable here so let me have it. What certs are recommended and are there any preferred degrees I should look into?

·
Registered
508 Posts
You'd probably want to look into the Microsoft MCITP and Cisco CCNA exams. They are a good starting point in regards to certifications. Most employers also ask for a bsc in computer science or related field.

·
Premium Member
29,533 Posts
Cisco CCNA is probably the most important one. After that you can try to go for the CCIE, but almost nobody has that

·
Premium Member
7,706 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gonX View Post
Cisco CCNA is probably the most important one. After that you can try to go for the CCIE, but almost nobody has that

You get a CCIE and you can write your own ticket. No college degree required.

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
Depending on the environment. I have about 15 Nortel certifications and I worked in a Nortel environment. I'm not after my MCSE. I already have CCNA as well. Well worth it

But I also have a masters in ee.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
After the CCNA get the CCNP and you will be good to go. CCIE you can try but its a long waiting list and has two very very hard tests. Most people fail the the Hands on CCIE test which is super ridiculous.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
I personally got to SE w/ a business admin degree and no certs... but I consider my case pretty lucky... Whatever you do, don't sell yourself short just cause you dont have certs... if its really what you want, go prove to someone you can do something related to it, or maybe a step under it...

On job experience goes a LONG way.

·
AS 396507
1,565 Posts
network admin is kind-sorta-really vague. try and find a specialization: for starters, windows or *nix, though both will be really good for you. If you specialize in windows, be prepared to be proficient in MS Exchange and Active Directory, etc. It's also really helpful to know what kind of employer you're looking to work for. For instance, a small office or a large enterprise. When it comes to large enterprise, more certifications are needed for more specialized jobs, while with smaller orgs you will need to be well rounded. I suggest looking at job sites like monster.com or dice.com and look at the requirements employers are looking for, for the kind of jobs that sound interesting to you. whatever you do, do something!

one more thing: understanding core security practices is also really helpful in interviews. i highly suggest this book-- from amazon used is 5 bucks. that's a steal. you don't need to know everything this small book has in it, but it's an outstanding resource for the job seeker, and it breaks down security basics quite well.

·
Premium Member
10,193 Posts
The title is too vague, it really depends where you apply, some require degree + experience, some require certificate, if you do have a comp sci/networking degree and a bit of experience then companies usually pay for you to take the test providing you pass, if a test/cert is required.

·
Registered
274 Posts
If you decide to go down the pathway of network administration certification, you can choose to gain certification using the particular hardware and/or software you are working with, for example Novell Networks or Cisco, or you can choose to gain generic certification, for example using CompTIA's Network+. Generic network administration certification gives you the advantage that it is applicable to all possible networking situations, but you may be able to gain more and more in-depth certification in vendor certification schemes. You may find that your particular installation has a pre-defined certification pathway that they expect you to take, but whatever you decide to do, certification will certainly help your career

1 - 12 of 12 Posts