Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Instead of a single GTX 480, I'm now considering a GTX 465, 470, or 480 SLI setup for the nvidia 3D setup I have planned...and what has put me off from it otherwise was the numerous issues I had with my previous multi-GPU setup (5770 Crossfire)...how do these new nvidia cards typically do in SLI?

Also, I've heard that there's a CPU bottleneck with a GTX 480 SLI setup, is that true? Would it be true for a 470 or 465 SLI setup too? I don't want to overclock my CPU (a i7 950 when it drops to $300 in August).

Finally, what notable games out there can't I max at 1920x1080 (not including AA/AF) with 120 FPS with a single GTX 480, other than Crysis and Metro? What would I need to get 120 FPS in Just Cause 2?

·
Premium Member
7,947 Posts
Definitely SLI, the benefits are much greater than any negatives.

Also, about your bottleneck issue... You will definitely see a bottleneck. Don't Waste your money on a faster CPU though, definitely consider overclocking... You get free performance, plus you already have an aftermarket cooler, and there are many people on this forum who can help you easily achieve a moderate overclock which would diminish any bottlenecks which you have...

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had too many issues with overclocking to want to ever try again - plus, my new setup will be watercooled for looks and quietness, so overclocking won't be much of an option anyway. Also, with the CPU, I'm assuming it'll be like $200 at Microcenter when it drops to $300 elsewhere, and I have a Microcenter nearby.

Also, with that bottleneck, would it be present in all SLI cases, or just the 480?

·
Premium Member
7,731 Posts
The GTX400 series scale in SLI insanely well. In some games you will see in excess of 95% scaling and whlist in most you will see over 80%

I am going to SLI 470's after seeing how well they do.

470's in SLI in my opinion is the best bang for buck setup you can get

Hope I helped!

·
Super Moderator
32,931 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by XMAGUSX View Post
I've had too many issues with overclocking to want to ever try again - plus, my new setup will be watercooled for looks and quietness, so overclocking won't be much of an option anyway. Also, with the CPU, I'm assuming it'll be like $200 at Microcenter when it drops to $300 elsewhere, and I have a Microcenter nearby.

Also, with that bottleneck, would it be present in all SLI cases, or just the 480?
You're going to get wet...but NOT overclock???

EDIT:
That's like buying a Ferrari, and driving it 25MPH all the time.

·
Premium Member
7,947 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crooksy View Post
The GTX400 series scale in SLI insanely well. In some games you will see in excess of 95% scaling and whlist in most you will see over 80%

I am going to SLI 470's after seeing how well they do.

470's in SLI in my opinion is the best bang for buck setup you can get

Hope I helped!
I really wouldn't worry about the bottleneck THAT much because at the resolution that you are running, you will be using your gpus much more than the CPU... You will receive a bottleneck, but I doubt that you would notice it too much... Especially if you uprade later.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you guys really never heard of watercooling for the benefit of quiet cooling? And no, it's going to be a nice custom setup, geared mostly towards looks but not necessarily sacrificing performance.

Also, a GTX 470 SLI setup seems most appealing to me at the moment, since it's also a bit shorter than the 480 and will fit better in the custom case I have planned.

·
Premium Member
7,451 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by XMAGUSX View Post
Have you guys really never heard of watercooling for the benefit of quiet cooling? And no, it's going to be a nice custom setup, geared mostly towards looks but not necessarily sacrificing performance.

Also, a GTX 470 SLI setup seems most appealing to me at the moment, since it's also a bit shorter than the 480 and will fit better in the custom case I have planned.
This man knows where it's at

I couldn't stand the fan noise, and the high load temps (at stock
!!), so I ended up ditching my H50 for a Apogee GTZ 1366, stiftech 240 rad, and some pump (most of this was from a used GPU WC loop I bought from somebody, lol
) and a GTAP15 (just one... on a 240 rad
).

It keeps my stock load temps below 60C on folding, which is what I care about

·
Registered
199 Posts
Got two GTX 470 with i7 930. Got them OCed at 750 and the CPU at 3.8 with watercooling.

I dont think, there is some bottleneck with my CPU, however you get extra % with CPU overclock anyways.

About 3D, I cannot really max metro 2033 with all the eye-candy to stay on playable FPS all the time, you have to give up much to be OK. I can max out most of the other games, like BFBC2, Stalker series, fallout 3, bioshock 2, mass effect 2 and others. About just cause 2, I dont know as I dont have the game.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
1 480 does wonders in most games, SLI would be insane.

Overclocking the CPU would help in more situations then getting another 480, but thats my opinion.

Make sure your PSU can handle 2 480's

1 - 11 of 11 Posts