Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I am kind of curious about watercooling. I don't really know much about it though. I've been reading around and everything...but I don't follow the watercooling world.

I have a dual core opteron 165 and I can't get it past 2565 with a 166 divider...I figured that less heat could help. I know that it could be my mobo, cause there was sa similar problem with my last cpu...but still. I want to get rid of temps. I'm dual priming right now at 45C.

What would you guys recommend for a setup? I'm not afraid of spending money, but I'm not stupid either. I don't really want it in my case, cause I have no room.

Oh ya, I don't care about video cooling or chipset cooling with water....just the cpu. If you guys could recommend a pump, res, waterblock, etc. that'd be great cause I need at least something to start with....then I can look around knowing what's good.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
i would recommend pretty much the each setup as in my signature. Except if you don't want GPU cooling you can splurge on a better CPU waterblock. It is only gonna help a couple degree's, but every degree helps. Also Get some strong fans, Panaflo's 130CFM are a good choice. Don't bother getting a premade radiator, you can just use a 77' Bonneville heatercore, from any auto parts place, and get the same results.
This is what I have found to be a nice setup after researching it for a while.
Hope that help!
-Atomic

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
Well the storm G4 is the current leader in blocks but only a degree or two better than the less priced Apogee and TDX. For cooling a heatercore is the cheapest and best performence available. If looks and mounting are a concern the black ice extreme 2 looks better and is a lot easier to mount inside a case but is off a little on temps compared to a heatercore. As far as a res goes I like the DD 5&1/4 clear res but they come in different colors and slightly larger. You can find all this stuff at these links.
www.dangerdenstore.com
www.crazypc.com

·
Registered
342 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by beserkjay

How is the noise level on watercooling setups?

The pumps on the high-performance custom rigs you are pondering tend to be relatively noisy, unless you get one of the $75 near-silent high flow pumps. The better entry level kits (the horror!) like the ThermalTake BigWater SE are near silent.

As I understand it, if you want high performance, you have to pay more money, have more noise, or find a way to muffle the pump. Corrections, anyone?

Hope this helps, and stay cool!

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
i dont think the d5 is supposed to be terribly loud. i had a little csp mag that was dead silent (literally) and with a rheostat on my 120mm fan my watercooling was very quiet, good temps too although a bit on the budget side.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazino

i dont think the d5 is supposed to be terribly loud. i had a little csp mag that was dead silent (literally) and with a rheostat on my 120mm fan my watercooling was very quiet, good temps too although a bit on the budget side.

Exactamundo--that's what I was thinking of: DangerDen D5, $75. It's supposed to be quiet, expecially on the lower settings.

HTH, and stay cool.

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDeville

Exactamundo--that's what I was thinking of: DangerDen D5, $75. It's supposed to be quiet, expecially on the lower settings.

HTH, and stay cool.

He was saying the D5 is loud and the MAG is quiet. I'm not being a butt about it I just thought I would clarify.

My Eheim 1250 pump is quiet enough that you hear my fans over it and it pumps 317GPH with 6.7' of head. If I turn my fans down and leave the computer on I can sleep just fine. Even my GF who hates my computer for the noise doesn't complain as much as she used to when I had my Venus 12 on low. I was having some vibration problems with it, but that got fixed.

Look into the Swiftech MCP-350. You can get better flow on it by modding it. Look into Eheim and Hydor pumps if you like. Ask someidiot about how loud his Hydor pump is.

Basically you can make your system whatever you want it to be. There are a ton of options. Just shop around, ask as many questions as you can think of, and you'll end up with something that you will be very proud of.

• Rep+
Reactions: DrDeville

·
Registered
342 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snerp

He was saying the D5 is loud and the MAG is quiet. I'm not being a butt about it I just thought I would clarify.

Thanks for the info, and for not being a butt.
My intent is the same.

I enjoy learning about this stuff. I'm more focussed on silence than most on this forum, but I find you folks very informative. Gracias.

Actually, I think he meant that he's heard the D5 is quiet, and had personally found the CSP-MAG to be quiet.

Here's a review on the CSP-MAG:

http://www.systemcooling.com/csp-mag-01.html

It says the price is $50, they liked it, and it only had a slight hum.

Rock on!

• Rep+
Reactions: Snerp

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDeville

Thanks for the info, and for not being a butt.
My intent is the same.

I enjoy learning about this stuff. I'm more focussed on silence than most on this forum, but I find you folks very informative. Gracias.

Actually, I think he meant that he's heard the D5 is quiet, and had personally found the CSP-MAG to be quiet.

Here's a review on the CSP-MAG:

http://www.systemcooling.com/csp-mag-01.html

It says the price is $50, they liked it, and it only had a slight hum.

Rock on!

Yep I got ya on the quiet thing. I read it as "it's terribly loud". Thanks for correcting my false correction

I've heard it's loud from a few reviews, but you can never tell. Some people's idea of loud is a slight hum.

I can't remember who is was, maybe it was Lando, but he said the MAG isn't that great. I'd ask him about it.

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
my D5 is really quiet. On the max setting, All I can hear is the low hum of all 9 of my 120mm fans, It really doesn't bother me at all. And its right next to my bed. Except when my northbridge fan acts up. and makes a weird humming noise, and sounds like its gonna kill it self. ( I really need to fix it or get a replacement.) But yea, I have the D5 and I can't hear it at all, it is inside my case though, and my case has sound dampening built in, Maybe thats why...... Oh well, I love it. And it gets the job done how I want.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.