Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a hold of some cash and since I don't have a GF
and I've already bought too many gears (clothes, shoes etc haha) for myself, I decided to upgrade from 754 to 939 just for the hell of it. However I've decided to take this further by deciding whether I should watercool my system.

I of course intend to overclock my system (AMD64 3200 - 90Nm, MSI Neo2, existing RAM and new Coolermaster CM Stacker case) and am wondering whether a water cooling would be a good idea.

To be honest, I don't really know much about watercooling (but I quickly skimmed over the watercooling guide by Death) and was wondering whether it was worth it. Is watercooling maintence required very frequently? If so, what sort of maintainence is expected? If watercooling is a little out of my league, what air cooling heatsink will be recommended? I had hoped to install a Thermalright XP-120, however the Neo2 is incompatible.

Any suggestions? Oh bear in mind I will be spending approximately $380ish NZD, which is about $270ish USD which may give a slight idea how advanced the cooling system is.

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
If you're a fan of computer hardwared, like the DIY approach, etc etc, then definitely go watercooling. While results vary, and I can't really say for AMD's, Intels generally can expect ~200-300 mhz gain in stable overclock under good water cooling. Very little mainentance is required, assuming you set it up right the first time. I haven't touched my cooling setup in at least two months now (....not that I wouldn't like to, but I haven't had any money to upgrade/tweak anything
). I vote 'yay'.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoAffinity

If you're a fan of computer hardwared, like the DIY approach, etc etc, then definitely go watercooling. While results vary, and I can't really say for AMD's, Intels generally can expect ~200-300 mhz gain in stable overclock under good water cooling. Very little mainentance is required, assuming you set it up right the first time. I haven't touched my cooling setup in at least two months now (....not that I wouldn't like to, but I haven't had any money to upgrade/tweak anything
). I vote 'yay'.

Hmmm interesting. Yeah I've basically been reading a few sources wuith watercooling implementation, and I must admit that it seems like a reasonbly challenging job. Will probabaly install one a little down the track (gotta get some cash again), so my 939 will have to deal with stock cooling for now.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Invest your money in really nice ram for that 939. Then worry about watercooling. The 939's get a huge boost with better memory. (latancy 2.2.2.5 is the best)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by zother

Invest your money in really nice ram for that 939. Then worry about watercooling. The 939's get a huge boost with better memory. (latancy 2.2.2.5 is the best)

Hmmm I dunno aye. I just spent cash on Corsair DDR500, I would have to sell again and then make up the rest. It seemes like things will take longer.. Are better timings a must for my current system?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Get the Corsair DDR500 and enjoy what i'm saying is when you run the system stock or slightly OC lower the latancies as much as possible.

Note the chips used in DDR500 and low latancy DDR400 are usually the same ones, from Corsair that is. The big diffrence is how Corsair tests the memory in house to a particular spec.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Hmm.. I was just about to post a thread just like this when I noticed I could use this one (If no-one minds of course
) anyways, here's the deal:

I'm really interested in watercooling and I found a website where I can order a watercooling kit for 115€, which is relatively cheap for a custom watercooling kit, and I've almost made my decision to buy (and I read some reviews, most people say that it's a great kit and it performs well). Here's the little info they give about it:

- AquaComputer cuplex waterblock
- AquaComputer EV240 Radiator
- Eheim S600 Pump

They also say it comes with everything you need to assemble it, except for fans (no problem there
).

What do you think about this? (TOTAL COST: approx. 122€/$162 incl. S&H fee)

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack

Hmm.. I was just about to post a thread just like this when I noticed I could use this one (If no-one minds of course
) anyways, here's the deal:

I'm really interested in watercooling and I found a website where I can order a watercooling kit for 115€, which is relatively cheap for a custom watercooling kit, and I've almost made my decision to buy (and I read some reviews, most people say that it's a great kit and it performs well). Here's the little info they give about it:

- AquaComputer cuplex waterblock
- AquaComputer EV240 Radiator
- Eheim S600 Pump

They also say it comes with everything you need to assemble it, except for fans (no problem there
).

What do you think about this? (TOTAL COST: approx. 122€/$162 incl. S&H fee)

I think in water cooling, its "you get what you pay for"... or at least I think...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts