Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to solve this temperature mystery for over an half year already and without any avail.

Some examples of temp ****tyness, 3.9ghz 1.35v llc4 = 78~80c~ on kraken x62 performance mode.

To keep 1.4v temps under or at even to 80c, I need to max out my fans or temps would just would keep raising....

CPU clock at 3.75ghz 1.3v llc2 with silent mode selected on cam maxes out my temps at 74c what I think is way to high for 1.244v svi2 reading even with silent mode.

With my Water 3.0 ultimate I get even ****tier results.

There was once upon a time in a last year before I rma'd my CPU and started to use kryonaut, when I used liquid metal and had temps in very good control with kraken like, I could use 1.35v llc4 on silent mode 75c quite stable
And with performance mode CPU reached 80c just when I turned voltage all the way up to the 1.42-1.44v llc4..... I can't be bad mount as I have mounted kraken x62 again and again at least for 7 times and water 3.0 ultimate for 4 times with experimenting with different combinations of push or pull.

Right now using thermaltake's v71 case. Would a custom water loop with 2 radiators solve toasty Ryzen that would also be very quiet? o_O I've gotten very 'f' sick of trying to get my temps right with these. :S

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Aios are typically pretty poor. A custom loop would run circles around that setup. A good tower style air cooler would probably beat it too.

I have to work really hard to get my 1700X to go over 63-65C even at almost 4.0ghz. Custom loop though.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,223 Posts
Aios are typically pretty poor. A custom loop would run circles around that setup. A good tower style air cooler would probably beat it too.

I have to work really hard to get my 1700X to go over 63-65C even at almost 4.0ghz. Custom loop though.
Agreed on all counts.

Even a very simple loop would keep things in check with minimal noise. Something like a 280 or 360GTS, Raystorm Pro AM4 and small DDC pump/res combo would do wonders for your temps and noise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the exact same problem. Built my PC last year and I still have to live with the garbage temps. X62, r5 1600x and b350 pro4 asrock mobo. I understand AIO's aren't that good but the kraken x62 is pretty pricy and other people have gotten a lot better temps with it.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
must be something wrong with your set up. I'm getting 55C when video rendering and 40C when gaming with my cryorig A40 ultimate 1.325v LLC4 3.9ghz. I found kryonaut to be worse than AS5 and cryorig CP7 on both my GPU and CPU. My fans are set up with a custom bios curve and don't go above 1100rpm ish at max

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
must be something wrong with your set up. I'm getting 55C when video rendering and 40C when gaming with my cryorig A40 ultimate 1.325v LLC4 3.9ghz. I found kryonaut to be worse than AS5 and cryorig CP7 on both my GPU and CPU. My fans are set up with a custom bios curve and don't go above 1100rpm ish at max
Kraken x62 reacts to temps a bit faster than my water 3.0 ultimate as radiator heat's up faster from cold boot and air pressure seems to have better reaction time with kraken x62 on CPU temps than with tt's ultimate. My 1800x is super ****ty and needs something like 1.40v llc4 to be 100 percent stable on the 3.9GHZ

My temps shoot straight up about 30 to 40c when starting prime95 torture test. Seems like AIO's suck without liquid metal :/

Is it better to get slim radiator or even multiple 360mm rads to single loop or would one suffice for overclocking and be quiet at same time?

·
Overclocking is my game.
1,924 Posts
Are you remembering to take in account the +20C offset that's applied to the 1700X & 1800X?

Running 1.35V should be perfectly fine even with the stock cooler, my 1700 was around 65-70C at that voltage (The 1700 doesn't have the temp offset).

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you remembering to take in account the +20C offset that's applied to the 1700X & 1800X?

Running 1.35V should be perfectly fine even with the stock cooler, my 1700 was around 65-70C at that voltage (The 1700 doesn't have the temp offset).
I had 1700 then. After I rma'd it temps went downhill and sold it and bought 1800x as it was on sale.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Kraken x62 reacts to temps a bit faster than my water 3.0 ultimate as radiator heat's up faster from cold boot and air pressure seems to have better reaction time with kraken x62 on CPU temps than with tt's ultimate. My 1800x is super ****ty and needs something like 1.40v llc4 to be 100 percent stable on the 3.9GHZ

My temps shoot straight up about 30 to 40c when starting prime95 torture test. Seems like AIO's suck without liquid metal :/

Is it better to get slim radiator or even multiple 360mm rads to single loop or would one suffice for overclocking and be quiet at same time?

thin with a large surface area is better than small and thick for the same volume. AIO's don't suck and don't require Liquid metal. Your temps would be just as high with an air cooler.

·
Registered
819 Posts
might just have a bad chip. what are you doing when these temps are getting that high?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
might just have a bad chip. what are you doing when these temps are getting that high?
Two faulty chips in a row? =D

As my replacement 1700 and this my newer 1800x had then same problem, very high temps on liquid cooler:(

At a beginning when I used stock cooler as I didn't have my kraken x62 or mounting kit for my ultimate 3.0 yet, my original Ryzen 1700 had what I think were thermal shutdowns and temps were bit high at 3.7ghz on stock cooler, but when hooking up kraken x62 with liquid metal and push and pull configurations solved high temps I really wouldn't want to use liquid metal anymore as It ruins chip value and coolers copper plate :/

Could AM4 mounting system be little off or faulty? :( I really would want to push my CPU to max without my PC sounding like a yet and with temps in control. what it can as I don't care about degradation that much, as when zen+ will be on sale, gonna buy it or wait for zen 2.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thin with a large surface area is better than small and thick for the same volume. AIO's don't suck and don't require Liquid metal. Your temps would be just as high with an air cooler.
But aren't my temps a bit high for Ryzen? As it shouldn't just jump up like 30-40 degrees over the delta of water temperature in a couple of sec with liquid cooler

Delta is close to 40c over water temperature.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
what is your ambient temp? your case should allow a decent flow of cool air to the fans at the front as an intake. I tested my system yesterday with aida64 and it maxed out at 56C (1.325v) on a B350 tomahawk. fans at a max of 1100rpm, idle was about 22-23 and ambient 20C. Your temps are particularly high especially the water temp. maybe your AIO is not working properly but the fact you have tried another one and got worse. how are the temps when standard? how about a picture of the cpu and cold plate to see what the spread of paste is like?

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
There is little benefit to running liquid metal on the IHS and coldplate. Between the die and IHS on pasted chips, yes. Good thermal paste should be with in 1-2c vs CLU on the IHS, it's been tested so many times and if you get that stuff on the socket or it drips down there's not telling what might die.
What are the temps like with the stock cooler? CLCs are notorious for poor mounting pressure with Coffee lake so this wouldn't surprise me at all.
Did you use the same mount for both CLCs? If so you can probably blame that pretty safely. If that is the case you can shim the back of it with little washers so the screws into the block are a tad shorter.
What are your idle water temps? It should rise by around 5c under load.
Make sure your case has plenty of air flowing through it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There is little benefit to running liquid metal on the IHS and coldplate. Between the die and IHS on pasted chips, yes. Good thermal paste should be with in 1-2c vs CLU on the IHS, it's been tested so many times and if you get that stuff on the socket or it drips down there's not telling what might die.
What are the temps like with the stock cooler? CLCs are notorious for poor mounting pressure with Coffee lake so this wouldn't surprise me at all.
Did you use the same mount for both CLCs? If so you can probably blame that pretty safely. If that is the case you can shim the back of it with little washers so the screws into the block are a tad shorter.
What are your idle water temps? It should rise by around 5c under load.
Make sure your case has plenty of air flowing through it.

Liquid temp is 29c at ambient of 25c idle.

During heavy load of prime95 large fft's liquid temps rises to 34c CPU 74c, both were tested at max fan speed 2800rpm. Using normal performance fan speed setting, liquid temp rises to over 40c and CPU to 82c (svi2 tfn Vcore 1.319v)... Bios vcore 1.35v with llc4.

·
Premium Member
10,117 Posts
Couple things - did you check the chip's heatspreader to see if it was completely flat before installing the cooler? I use a razer blade for this. Botched mounting jobs are the biggest contributor to poor performance from AIO coolers - make sure you get it mated properly to the chip.

Last thing I noticed was your dimm temps.... thats much higher than I normally get with mine - how is your case airflow?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Couple things - did you check the chip's heatspreader to see if it was completely flat before installing the cooler? I use a razer blade for this. Botched mounting jobs are the biggest contributor to poor performance from AIO coolers - make sure you get it mated properly to the chip.

Last thing I noticed was your dimm temps.... thats much higher than I normally get with mine - how is your case airflow?
That's with open air case, and radiator is mounted at front, intake. As GPU and vrm's would make my CPU temps even worse when using radiator to exhaust air.

My RAM temps will raise to the 60C max in prime95 at 27c ambient temp when stressing it in a closed chassis, even though I've got plenty of airflow and two big 200mm fans exhausting air at top and one 140mm at back :/.

·
Moderately Ancient
369 Posts

Isn't it not recommended to use liquid metal between the IHS and block? After what it did to my Corsair H80i and intel 4670k's heat spreader, I use it only between the CPU core and IHS... and use a normal TIM like Kryonaut or MX-4 when mounting the block. LIquid metal corroded the hell out of my H80i and CPU heat spreader to the point where i had to lap them a lot to be usable again.

I'm using an XSPC ex360 and ex280 to cool my i5-4670k @ 4.4ghz and a GTX 1080. At 1300rpm my coolant is 3'c above ambient air while idle (locked at 4.4ghz) and under full load never exceeds +10'c above ambient. GPU under full load @ 2025mhz stays under 40'c and CPU hits a max of 58'c using OCCT. Not sure how much this would correspond to AMD processors, but when I was using a Corsair H80i, i'd see temps upwards of 85-90'c on the CPU.

You'll get much better cooling from two slim rads than you'd get from one thick one. IIRC i paid $50 USD for my XSPC ex360 radiator, $45 for the ex280, $45 for my DDC1T-PWM 10w pump (420l/h max and very quiet. 18w DDC pumps are noisy), $20 for my Alphacool tube res, $40 in fittings from barrow, and $50 for an XSPC raystorm cpu block. Added an aquacomputer gtx780ti block for $69 on sale and when all was up and running, had spent about $350 to cool both CPU and GPU. Since then i've switched to hard tubing and added a second pump for redundancy and have never been happier.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Isn't it not recommended to use liquid metal between the IHS and block? After what it did to my Corsair H80i and intel 4670k's heat spreader, I use it only between the CPU core and IHS... and use a normal TIM like Kryonaut or MX-4 when mounting the block. LIquid metal corroded the hell out of my H80i and CPU heat spreader to the point where i had to lap them a lot to be usable again.

I'm using an XSPC ex360 and ex280 to cool my i5-4670k @ 4.4ghz and a GTX 1080. At 1300rpm my coolant is 3'c above ambient air while idle (locked at 4.4ghz) and under full load never exceeds +10'c above ambient. GPU under full load @ 2025mhz stays under 40'c and CPU hits a max of 58'c using OCCT. Not sure how much this would correspond to AMD processors, but when I was using a Corsair H80i, i'd see temps upwards of 85-90'c on the CPU.

You'll get much better cooling from two slim rads than you'd get from one thick one. IIRC i paid $50 USD for my XSPC ex360 radiator, $45 for the ex280, $45 for my DDC1T-PWM 10w pump (420l/h max and very quiet. 18w DDC pumps are noisy), $20 for my Alphacool tube res, $40 in fittings from barrow, and $50 for an XSPC raystorm cpu block. Added an aquacomputer gtx780ti block for $69 on sale and when all was up and running, had spent about $350 to cool both CPU and GPU. Since then i've switched to hard tubing and added a second pump for redundancy and have never been happier.
I'm always amazed by the temps that people get out of their components, my temps has almost always been hell :S.

I'm thinking of water cooling Ram sticks if I were to go custom loop as RAM works more reliably in lower temps of what I've seen and tested. But first I wanna solve this mystery of hell inside a chip.

·
Premium Member
10,117 Posts
It's been my experience that Asus boards tend to volt things harder than other brands = hotter cpu-ram temps.

Pictured is an example of my temps (*-20 due to 1800X offset) on my MSI Titanium X370 rig under the 480 mm custom loop. 4ghz , default voltage LLC 2 P5 case with airflow on the vrm heatsink.
This machine has run 1.5+ v-core @ 4175 mhz for just over a year now as a daily clock.

Liquid temps run about +5 of ambient.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts