Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Last month at CES, we caught first glimpse that the Gigabyte Super Overclock AMD Radeon HD 7970 with the Windforce 5X cooling system. We've now the chance to take a closer look.

The most immediately noticeable customization with this graphics card is the massive cooler, which Gigabyte boasts uses an "anti-turbulance pull airflow system" that pulls air away from the system. Gigabyte says that if air were pushed inwards, the motherboard will block the flow of air. The cooler also draws air across the card, which the company says is superior to blowing directly towards the heatsink. The cooler is supposed to be quiet too and completely silent when under 30 degrees Celcius. We hope to verify this in our testing.

MORE FANS!

Source

·
Read Only
4,346 Posts
Are those... server fans? I HATE those things. My dad's job has servers with those fans and even getting within 5 meters of them is a challenge, because they sound like a woman screaming.

Please let them not be server fans. People will commit suicide when playing games with Eyefinity and causing the GPU to be at 100% load.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeNF View Post

Are those... server fans? I HATE those things. My dad's job has servers with those fans and even getting within 5 meters of them is a challenge, because they sound like a woman screaming.
Please let them not be server fans. People will commit suicide when playing games with Eyefinity and causing the GPU to be at 100% load.
^ this
I can't imagine this is going to be quiet at all. Server fans, or not, most tiny fans like that run at extremely high RPM, and get really loud.

·
Waiting on New Hardware
4,478 Posts
have u guys even read the articles?
rolleyes.gif

it says the cooler is better than the stock cooler: cooler, quieter, and faster

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Isn't it better to have one or two large fans as opposed to multiple smaller fans, both for cooling and noise?

With the way these fans are facing, that means they are going to either blow out the side of the case, or they're going to pull in air from the side. Not really a good design here, in my opinion.

·
Programmer
28,696 Posts
These will be great in crossfire!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by james8 View Post

have u guys even read the articles?
rolleyes.gif

it says the cooler is better than the stock cooler: cooler, quieter, and faster
I wouldn't believe any of those statements just yet.Would wait for some reviews instead.Note that the article says that noise levels and cooler performance are yet to be tested...

On the other hand,I don't really like the design,but I love how Gigabyte for once went with a black PCB.I REALLY hope they start doing that on all cards in the future,their standard blue one looks horrible,has a very outdated feel to it...

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Bottleneck View Post

On the other hand,I don't really like the design,but I love how Gigabyte for once went with a black PCB.I REALLY hope they start doing that on all cards in the future,their standard blue one looks horrible,has a very outdated feel to it...
You're right! Never noticed that they are using a black PCB. I hate the blue one.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.