Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
sudo apt install sl
7,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Source: https://www.tomshardware.com/amp/news/amd-patent-biglittle--hybrid-computing-implementation

As spotted by patent sleuth @Underfox3, AMD has field a patent what appears to be a means of using a big.LITTLE-esque hybrid computing architecture that comes with a mixture of high-performance cores and smaller low-performance cores. As with all patent filings, this doesn't assure that AMD will bring this type of device to market, but it certainly shows the company is busy researching hybrid architectures

The patent outlines a new instruction set subset implementation for low power operation. AMD's implementation allows for one subset of instructions to execute on larger full-featured processing cores optimized for higher performance, while a second subset of instruction run on smaller simplified cores designed for power efficiency. AMD's patent outlines a method whereby the cores use a shared memory location to enable threads to move between the two types of cores based upon certain variables.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I'm guessing these will mostly be used for laptops and maybe servers?

·
Otherworlder
7,506 Posts
desktop could use it as well, mixing 1+1 or even 2+1 chiplets with one chiplet being high efficient slow cores.
the main advantage for desktop being much cheaper 16core 32thread processors, albeit it wouldn't be as fast as two full chiplet of 8 fast cores.

edit: alternatively, they could also release a power efficiency oriented SKU with SMT disabled, a 16core 16thread 35W chip that can easily outperform a 8core 16thread 65W chip in multi-threaded tasks.

·
LTSC for life crew
2,881 Posts
I like the idea in theory but I hate to say that I think it'll end up being worse off for consumers in practice. It's going to become even more difficult for the average joe consumer to pick out an appropriate laptop for their needs at the local big box store.

·
Performance is the bible
7,049 Posts
Isn't it already being done on mobile and ARM already have a similar patent of big/little cores?

I guess this is a plan of improvement on the usage, by making two different sets of instructions, so software can choose to run on the little cores or the big cores, depends on usage.

·
sudo apt install sl
7,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Isn't it already being done on mobile and ARM already have a similar patent of big/little cores?

I guess this is a plan of improvement on the usage, by making two different sets of instructions, so software can choose to run on the little cores or the big cores, depends on usage.
Yep, it's been around for years with ARM chips. Intel released the first x86 big.LITTLE Lakefield chip which is used in laptops and tablets. Their Alder Lake desktop chips also look like they're going to be big.LITTLE chips.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Does this mean that Ryzen 5nm maybe last of the single mono chips.

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
5,966 Posts
Why not have it just shut off parts. So that it changes from a big core to a little core? Unless you add more little cores then big cores.

·
sudo apt install sl
7,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why not have it just shut off parts. So that it changes from a big core to a little core? Unless you add more little cores then big cores.
Intel calls it big-bigger with Alder Lake because the cores are significantly larger than previous cores. We might see AMD release even larger cores to keep up their IPC.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Yes that seems to be the plan.
Rumor has it Hyperthreading is kind of a dead end technology at this point.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Could this be like the Rock chips for Single board PCs? that would be a good low budget thing to get into IMHO.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts