Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
sudo apt install sl
7,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Source: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/huaweis-24-core-7nm-kunpeng-920-cpu-allegedly-outmatches-core-i9-9900k-in-multi-core-performance

Chinese news outlet IThome received word that Huawei is on the brink if launching the brand's new desktop PC (internally known as Pangu) for the domestic market. The system utilizes a variant of the company's Kunpeng 920, which is also known as the Hi1620. The report claims that the Kunpeng 920 3211K's multi-core performance is slightly better than the Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake processor.

The Kunpeng 920, which is based on Arm's Neoverse N1 (codename Ares) microarchitecture, boasts core configurations that span from 24 up to 64 cores, running between 2.4 GHz and 3 GHz. TSMC used to produce Kunpeng 920 for Huawei on its 7nm process node before cutting off all ties with Chinese tech giant due to new U.S. regulations.

The Kunpeng 920 3211K in particular has 24 cores that max out at 2.6 GHz. Huawei pairs the processor with 8GB of SO-DIMM memory, a 512GB Samsung SSD and AMD’s Radeon 520 mobile graphics card.
I want one

·
- Insanity Beckons -
4,509 Posts
Yeah, the Chinese will lead the World with High Tech developments (as they should), hence why the current Elites are totally scared about that.

Also the Chinese chips will be far cheaper as well, a total WIN for everyone around the Globe. Finally getting hardware that performs way above the current expensive junk-ware coming out of Intel or even AMD.

The people of the World require a 3RD manufacturer that provides real choice, instead of the current regime, of a 2 party/cpu system.

·
ٴٴٴ╲⎝⧹˙͜>˙⧸⎠╱
6,081 Posts
Yeah, the Chinese will lead the World with High Tech developments (as they should), hence why the current Elites are totally scared about that.

Also the Chinese chips will be far cheaper as well, a total WIN for everyone around the Globe. Finally getting hardware that performs way above the current expensive junk-ware coming out of Intel or even AMD.

The people of the World require a 3RD manufacturer that provides real choice, instead of the current regime, of a 2 party/cpu system.

you probably won't be allowed to buy the chinese made CPUs though

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Why "as they should"? Genuine question.

A 24-core CPU due to release soon is "slightly better than" an 8-core CPU released in October 2018 in multi-threaded performance? You call that "leading the world"? Put it up against a 24-core Ryzen, or one of the ~24-core Intel chips...

If this was an 8-core beating a 24-core, I could see your point, but this is hardly earth-shattering performance.

And "elites" are always scared to lose power. It wouldn't matter where the perceived threat comes from.

·
- Insanity Beckons -
4,509 Posts
Why "as they should"? Genuine question.

A 24-core CPU due to release soon is "slightly better than" an 8-core CPU released in October 2018 in multi-threaded performance? You call that "leading the world"? Put it up against a 24-core Ryzen, or one of the ~24-core Intel chips...
Also don't forget it's their first release hence only gets better over time.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
-The 2017 National Intelligence Law declared that Chinese companies must “support, assist, and cooperate with” China’s intelligence-gathering authorities.

-Huawei received at least $75B in state support.

All I need to know thx. I’ll take my chances with Apple and Intel. Apple refuses to cooperate with authorities on unlocking phones.

·
Expert pin bender
2,177 Posts
Anyone worth their salt knows only single thread IPC, intercore/memory latency matters. Unless you like to play cinebench all day and other non real world uses. At least Intel will have some competition in the exploits/flaws/backdoor arena. This CPU will have 24 cores and more back doors than you can count.

·
mfw
8,638 Posts
you probably won't be allowed to buy the chinese made CPUs though
If they can buy ports in Europe, I can buy their CPU's!

·
Performance is the bible
7,049 Posts
In what way?
This is not about competition for US companies. On the contrary, US companies were happy to sell to china, as it is a huge growing market. This will only hurt US companies and force china to steal more technology and use it internally.

Even so, this is a 7nm superior manufacturing process from TSMC on 7nm vs a 2 years old 14nm++++ from intel.
Even if it gets better, there is no guarantee they can still use TSMC 7nm manufacturing. They might be forced to completely abandon it or produce it on worse local nm manufacturing, until they can get the 7nm or better technology from somewhere.
This is also based on ARM, so it is not similar in terms of usage to the 9900k whatsoever.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts

You obviously missed the various mis-steps that Intel, AMD and other CPU manufacturers have made over the years. Intel and AMD have so far survived their mis-steps... Cyrix and others did not.

·
Newsfiend
2,404 Posts
Politics, still not allowed. Thread cleaned.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts