Overclock.net banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
sudo apt install sl
7,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Source: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-amd-computex-benchmark-epyc-xeon,39544.html

Intel is firing back at AMD CEO Lisa Su's Computex claims that the company's upcoming 7nm EPYC Rome data center processors are twice as fast as Intel's Xeon Scalable 8280 processors in a popular benchmark. But Intel says that AMD didn't configure its Intel test system correctly, and also didn't use the most relevant processors for comparison testing. Now Team Blue has released benchmarks to back its claims.

But Intel doesn't want to just be more competitive. It wants to prove that it will continue to lead even after AMD's 7nm Rome processors come to market. To that effect, Intel also included test results with its Xeon Platinum 9000-series (Cascade Lake-AP) that come armed with as many as 56 cores, 112 threads, and 12 memory channels crammed into a package that dissipates up to 400W. These new behemoths, which are essentially two Skylake-SP CPUs in a single socket, only come in OEM servers, so they aren't available on their own like AMD's Rome chips will be.

AMD did use a different compiler for its EPYC setup than it did for the Intel system, but that's expected. Intel's tuning did expose greater performance from its chips than AMD did, but that appears to be because AMD didn't use the optimizations. Intel's optimizations are available publicly on its website, meaning that AMD either wasn't aware of the optimizations or chose not to use them. Aside from the lack of optimizing the competitors' platform, which may be unintentional, it doesn't appear that AMD went out of the way to skew its test results.

Attachments

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,515 Posts
So, they're saying:

1. "We don't lose by that much.";
2. "And when compared against the upcoming 2S 48C/96T system that's a non upgradeable, soldered to the board special OEM order we expect to tie (up to 1.5% higher) with a much more power hungry setup.";
3. "And if we dial it up to 11, our 2x400w 2S 56C/112T system that is also the same OEM affair can be up to 23% faster.".

I get why they have to say this, but the outcome is a little embarrassing.

·
Premium Member
20,110 Posts
Is there a benchmark that will uncover which gets exploited the most?:)

·
professional curmudgeon
10,391 Posts
in a totally unrelated note:

·
Registered
675 Posts
So, they're saying:

1. "We don't lose by that much.";
2. "And when compared against the upcoming 2S 48C/96T system that's a non upgradeable, soldered to the board special OEM order we expect to tie (up to 1.5% higher) with a much more power hungry setup.";
3. "And if we dial it up to 11, our 2x400w 2S 56C/112T system that is also the same OEM affair can be up to 23% faster.".

I get why they have to say this, but the outcome is a little embarrassing.
Funny part is that 2x400w 2S 56C/112T is actually 4s 28C to match 2s Rome :).

Intel just made a bet that they could just invest in Fabs and keep continuing down-scaling their same monolithic design to make more CPU's per wafer, but 10nm showed them that they can't make good yields with their massive 28c design and they are stuck trying to fix the 10nm processes till this days, if they made a choice to move to chiplet design then they could compete AMD's Servers cheap more easily.

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,515 Posts
Funny part is that 2x400w 2S 56C/112T is actually 4s 28C to match 2s Rome :).

Intel just made a bet that they could just invest in Fabs and keep continuing down-scaling their same monolithic design to make more CPU's per wafer, but 10nm showed them that they can't make good yields with their massive 28c design and they are stuck trying to fix the 10nm processes till this days, if they made a choice to move to chiplet design then they could compete AMD's Servers cheap more easily.

Their response reminds me of Monty Python's dead parrot sketch, here in adapted form:

A customer enters a computer shop.

Mr. Praline: I wish to complain about this 2S Cascade Lake-AP system that I purchased not half an hour ago from this very boutique.

Shop Owner: Oh yes, the, uh, the Norwegian Blue...What's, uh...What's wrong with it?

Mr. Praline: I'll tell you what's wrong with it, my lad. It's dead in the water, that's what's wrong with it!

Shop Owner: No, no, it's uh,...it's sleeping.

Mr. Praline: Look, matey, I know a dead system when I see one, and I'm looking at one right now.

Shop Owner: No, no, it's not dead, it's, it's sleepin'! Remarkable system, the Norwegian Blue, idn'it, ay? Beautiful performance!

Mr. Praline: The performance don't enter into it. It's stone dead.

Shop Owner: Nononono, no, no! It's sleeping!

Mr. Praline: All right then, if it's sleepin', I'll wake it up! (shouting at the case) 'Ello, Mister Cascade! I've got a lovely fresh render for you if you show...

(Shop owner hits the case)

Shop Owner: There, the hyper turbo fans moved!

Mr. Praline: No, they didn't, that was you hitting the case!

Shop Owner: I never!!

Mr. Praline: Yes, you did!

Shop Owner: I never, never did anything...

Mr. Praline: (yelling and hitting the case repeatedly) 'ELLO Caskey!!!!! Testing! Testing! Testing! Testing! This is your nine o'clock Wake-on LAN call!

(Takes motherboard out of the case and thumps its water cooler on the counter. Throws it up in the air and watches it plummet to the floor.)

Mr. Praline: Now that's what I call a dead on arrival system.

Shop Owner: No, no.....No, it's stunned!

Mr. Praline: STUNNED?!?

Shop Owner: Yeah! You stunned it, just as it was wakin' up! Norwegian Blues stun easily, major.

Mr. Praline: Um...now look...now look, mate, I've definitely 'ad enough of this. That system is definitely deceased, and when I purchased it not 'alf an hour ago, you assured me that its total lack of viability was due to it bein' tired and shagged out following a prolonged squawk in alarm over AMD's Rome.

Shop Owner: Well, it's...it's, ah...probably pining for the fjords.

Mr. Praline: PININ' for the FJORDS?!?!?!? What kind of talk is that?, look, why did it fall flat on its face the moment I got it home?

Shop Owner: The Norwegian Blue prefers keepin' on its face! Remarkable system, id'nit, squire? Lovely performance!

Mr. Praline: Look, I took the liberty of examining that system when I got it home, and I discovered the only reason that it had been sitting well in benchmarks in the first place was that it had been water chilled.

(pause)

Shop Owner: Well, o'course it was water chilled! If it hadn't, it would have gotten to the case side panel, bent 'it apart with its heat, and VOOM! Feeweeweewee!

Mr. Praline: "VOOM"?!? Mate, this system wouldn't "voom" if you put four million volts through it! 'It's bleedin' demised!

Shop Owner: No no! It's pining!

Mr. Praline: It's not pinin'! It's passed on! This system is no more! It has ceased to be! It's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'It's a stiff! Bereft of life, it rests in peace! Its electrical processes are now 'istory! It's off the twig! 'It's kicked the bucket, It's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' Cyrix!! THIS IS AN EX-SYSTEM!!

(pause)

Shop Owner: Well, I'd better replace it, then. (he takes a quick peek behind the counter) Sorry squire, I've had a look 'round the back of the shop, and uh, we're right out of 2S Cascade Lake-AP's.

Mr. Praline: I see. I see, I get the picture.

Shop Owner: (pause) I got an ultra low powered Atom.

(pause)

Mr. Praline: Pray, does it compute?

Shop Owner: Nnnnot really.

Mr. Praline: WELL IT'S HARDLY A BLOODY REPLACEMENT, IS IT?!!???!!?

Shop Owner: N-no, I guess not. (gets ashamed, looks at his feet)

Mr. Praline: Well.

(pause)

Shop Owner: (quietly) D'you.... d'you want to come back to my place?

Mr. Praline: (looks around) Yeah, all right, sure.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I am confused. Is this saying that Intel's 56c setup is faster than AMD's 64c?

·
sudo apt install sl
7,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am confused. Is this saying that Intel's 56c setup is faster than AMD's 64c?
With optimizations which probably Rome would also benefit from when looking at Zen's performance when running Clear Linux. Maybe in a few years we'll be able to see an optimized AMD distro.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ryzen-linux-10way&num=4

"Intel does not guarantee the availability, functionality, or effectiveness of any optimization on microprocessors not manufactured by Intel."

·
Premium Member
10,026 Posts
Wow things are really getting bad if Intel is complaining about a compiler that favors AMD..... ;)

·
Professional Proletariat
5,671 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
I bet posting picks up when ryzen 7nm gets released as many long term intel users like myself will be new to amd mobo/cpu/ocing hence reading/posting again from necessity and from finally having something interesting to talk about. It also may be a little annoying switching/relearning AMD, but necessary after Intel management followed the Charlie Sheen plan of how to stay on top.

·
Audiofool
3,486 Posts
So when Intel glues together two $10k CPUs and makes a giant one that isn't socketed and is only available in OEM servers, they achieve 23% higher performance at the cost of 60% higher power. I'm not sure why they would want to point that out to anyone. Seems like a very roundabout way to say they're still losing. Anandtech estimates those Xeon 9282's run $25k+ and I'm sure AMD would be happy to sell you the top Rome SKU for a quarter of that.

·
2,327 Posts
Emergency Edition and fact manipulation. Intel never changes.

·
Not a linux lobbyist
2,308 Posts
Is that before or after you disable hyper threading?
I don't have untrusted guests running vms on my computers so I don't have to worry about them jumping from their hyperthread to mine.

·
Registered
675 Posts
GL to intel when 64C TR will be out, it's safe to assume that new TR MB with upgraded VRM could offer near 8X9900K raw performance with PBO active ~500W.

·
FOCAL ARIA FTW
9,346 Posts
AMD fanboys are the saltiest you can find.
When E6600 came out you were in denial for 12 months.
Now this chip is not even launched and praise AMD for being victorious.

This industry works in cycles and once AMD is on top, INTEL will take out the big guns.

Speaking of benchmark manipulation, when NVIDIA was haxing and AMD came out with proof that they were, y'all praised your lord and saviour AMD.
When INTEL tries to clarify the situation and show that AMD's numbers were not entirely correct, INTEL is playing dirty again.

Its that time of the year when I retire from OCN because of the super toxicity when it comes to AMD fanboyz.

• Rep+
Reactions: The Stilt

·
Registered
675 Posts
This industry works in cycles and once AMD is on top, INTEL will take out the big guns.

Yes - this is the key for good progress in development and innovation, unlike past decade that Intel had monopoly with ~90%+ and stopped the progress, now we see how much can change just in 2 years if there is a competition.
Lets hope for healthy competitions for many years to come, we all gonna benefit from that.

·
Registered
68 Posts
yes, with AMD out of the game we saw stagnation and degradation. That is how things work without competition.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.