Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Still here...
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone waiting for a big Nvidia news blowout at Game Developers Conference (GDC) or Nvidia's own Graphics Technology Conference (GTC), both coming up later in March, will probably be disappointed. We’ve learned from multiple independent sources that apart from a possible announcement and a rather vague “appetizer,” nothing concrete regarding Nvidia’s next-gen gaming graphics products is likely to be revealed at these shows. Rumors that these venues would be the big reveal for Nvidia’s 2018 cards to succeed its current Pascal lineup should be put to rest.
Read more...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Then why did NVIDIA stop production of the GTX 1080 Ti?
Stopping production and not releasing a new GPU will kill NVIDIA's profit so it kind of points to a new GPU at some point maybe not next month but very soon. Stopping production on one GPU to make another makes sense does it not....

·
Still here...
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^+1 Yeah, I was just about ready to say the same thing. But I'm just the messenger here :)

·
PC Evangelist
46,955 Posts
Having a 1080 Ti I personally do not care if they release a GPU now. There are no games I want to play that require me to a faster GPU. Even for people that have lesser GPUs the first wave of stuff will not be cheap. Do not expect 1080 Ti performance for under $400.

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,521 Posts

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Having a 1080 Ti I personally do not care if they release a GPU now. There are no games I want to play that require me to a faster GPU. Even for people that have lesser GPUs the first wave of stuff will not be cheap. Do not expect 1080 Ti performance for under $400.
Yeah, I feel like I should have jumped on the 1080ti a long time ago, but I figured my 1080 would hold me over to the 2080. That plan seems to have backfired since prices went insane now, and it doesn't look like the 2000 series is anywhere in sight. That extra 30% performance increase would have been really nice for 4k.

·
Indentified! On the Way!!
2,928 Posts
Yeah, I feel like I should have jumped on the 1080ti a long time ago, but I figured my 1080 would hold me over to the 2080. That plan seems to have backfired since prices went insane now, and it doesn't look like the 2000 series is anywhere in sight. That extra 30% performance increase would have been really nice for 4k.
I feel the same way with my 980ti. I waited for Vega. FAIL. Was going to buy 1080ti, but said to myself. "Wait for Volta" FAIL

Now I'm in video card limbo and my 980ti is getting crushed by KCD and DCS World @ 3440x1440

·
Overclocker
11,636 Posts
They will milk Pascal/Paxwell as long as they can as any progress is difficult and they have no need to compete with themselves since there is no market competition. AMD literally threw the towel down, left consumer graphics market and focuses on compute only, it's where most of their cards ends up anyway.

As long as companies keep on buying up the cards they will keep making them, meanwhile regular people are screwed and can't get a GPU at all let alone a new architecture.

·
Registered
819 Posts
---WWW.buy a console.com---
For when you absolutely, positively, must have frames below 60 FPS, no control over your graphics settings, and no use of a mouse and keyboard

·
News Junkie
8,232 Posts
Bah, until bitcoin crashes we won't get our hands on any high end cards without selling an organ.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Was kind of expected in my opinion. Good thing I got my 30 1080ti for cheap back in may.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Nvidia pretty much has to wait until bitcoin crashes to release new cards. If they drop new cards now and bit coin crashes 4 months later, then resale cards will absolutely cannibalize their new gpu sales.

If they wait til the market crashes they can milk all the pascal cards til said crash happens, then release new 2080 and sales stay high all the way through.

·
Premium Member
6,631 Posts
Nvidia pretty much has to wait until bitcoin crashes to release new cards. If they drop new cards now and bit coin crashes 4 months later, then resale cards will absolutely cannibalize their new gpu sales.

If they wait til the market crashes they can milk all the pascal cards til said crash happens, then release new 2080 and sales stay high all the way through.
I am pretty sure Nvidia doesn't plan their business around waiting for Bitcoin to crash. Or can anyone honestly imagine a lot of wealthy suits sitting at a table, hoping for bitcoin to crash so they can release their new products because of fear of second hand GPUs destroying their sales? :D

·
Registered
2,302 Posts

They don't care about someone else's resale value problems. Once they've sold a GPU package to an AIB for manufacturing, they've made their money.

A market crash would just decrease new sales to pre mining levels. Right now a launch would mean selling every wafer they can make.

The only limiting factor is RAM availability - if there isn't enough ddr6 to go around then they have to delay launch.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Vega is fine
It's fine in the sense that Fermi(470/480) was fine. Hot, power hungry, and loud for a performance that was lackluster given the cards it was competing against were released 6-12 months prior. So yeah, if you're waiting for this huge upgrade and it finally comes out and it's a small upgrade or worse, a side-grade, its gonna be a fail in your mind.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts