Overclock.net banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
8,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Source: Razer Adds More Hz, THX Certification to its Raptor 27 Gaming Monitor | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)

Razer only entered the gaming monitor game in 2019, but that first foray into the market quickly earned a spot on our Best Gaming Monitors page. The Razer Raptor 27 stood out with high-level gaming specs and unique details, like cable management channels. The updated, primarily faster Raptor 27 announced today shows the gaming brand isn’t done trying to make its mark in the ultra competitive space.
I just had to call attention to this overpriced monitor. Monitors that cost $300-$400 have better specifications. For $800 people can buy a 160Hz 4K/HDR600 monitor with DSC and built in calibration. It's sad that this monitor will sell because of the branding and unconventional RGB stand. The cherry on the top, this monitor only includes a 1 year warranty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Having a THX certification on a monitor seem rather stupid. I don't care what you pay for a monitor it isn't going to sound good. All this tells me is that THX certifications are meaningless. At least for audio.

·
Banned
265 Posts
Having a THX certification on a monitor seem rather stupid. I don't care what you pay for a monitor it isn't going to sound good. All this tells me is that THX certifications are meaningless. At least for audio.
It has nothing to do with audio, it has to do with the screen color calibration.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I read or watched their video before posting. It said something about audio standards. Maybe there's some benefit to them doing stuff with video but in a monitor, with audio, not so much. You can gold plate a turd but it's still a turd. Same way monitor speakers are always going to be crap unless they spend a lot of money on their enclosure and make a really weird looking monitor so they can accommodate real speakers. Best case scenario they could maybe fit some 3 inch mids and a ribbon tweeter. Short of that it sounds like the Bose experience to me.

·
Banned
8,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I read or watched their video before posting. It said something about audio standards. Maybe there's some benefit to them doing stuff with video but in a monitor, with audio, not so much. You can gold plate a turd but it's still a turd. Same way monitor speakers are always going to be crap unless they spend a lot of money on their enclosure and make a really weird looking monitor so they can accommodate real speakers. Best case scenario they could maybe fit some 3 inch mids and a ribbon tweeter. Short of that it sounds like the Bose experience to me.
Here's a video from THX:

The original Raptor had horrible factory color accuracy. This might assist I hope but that still doesn't justify the $450+ premium compared to other monitors including many that are HDR600 certified. At the end of the day the THX label is just marketing. Razer has acquired THX back in 2016.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
It's Razer so of course it's overpriced.

·
I <3 narcissists
7,116 Posts
It's Razer so of course it's overpriced.
Indeed. Seems like they make mediocre stuff (especially laptops) and charge a fair bit extra for that hideous logo. They have been that way from the beginning, so at least they are consistent.

Seems logical that a company like Razer would acquire something like THX, worthless and pointless go together like peas and carrots.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Apple 2.0, except even more likely to stop working soon?

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Nothing like Apple, they at least innovate. This monitor legitimately has nothing special.
Where exactly do they innovate? I have only used their mice and I've actually never had any issues with them especially compared to Logitech but i think that's just more luck than anything. Have used a viper ultimate for around a year now after my g pro wireless developed clicking issues, i actually preferred the GPW shape and would have gotten a superlight if it wasn't so hard to find one in stock when i was looking, but i dont currently dabble in competitive FPS and the VU is fine too and im used to it by now.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Where exactly do they innovate? I have only used their mice and I've actually never had any issues with them especially compared to Logitech but i think that's just more luck than anything. Have used a viper ultimate for around a year now after my g pro wireless developed clicking issues, i actually preferred the GPW shape and would have gotten a superlight if it wasn't so hard to find one in stock when i was looking, but i dont currently dabble in competitive FPS and the VU is fine too and im used to it by now.
I definitely was very unlucky, but Razer's QC was ALSO much worse as well. Has it been getting better?

But yeah, I managed to get 3 consecutive dead/defective Deathadder Chromas after the first one starting doubleclicking within 9 months iirc. This was around the release date of that mouse. Very next time I bought something of theirs was only a few months ago; snagged a used Viper on Amazon for $18. Was a good mouse, but not my favorite. Side buttons could have been less mushy (althought it was used, and that could be why it was returned), and Razer's software is kinda meh.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Nothing like Apple, they at least innovate. This monitor legitimately has nothing special.
You are kinda right about that.
But idk when it comes to the $1000 monitor stand lmaooo

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
I definitely was very unlucky, but Razer's QC was ALSO much worse as well. Has it been getting better?

But yeah, I managed to get 3 consecutive dead/defective Deathadder Chromas after the first one starting doubleclicking within 9 months iirc. This was around the release date of that mouse. Very next time I bought something of theirs was only a few months ago; snagged a used Viper on Amazon for $18. Was a good mouse, but not my favorite. Side buttons could have been less mushy (althought it was used, and that could be why it was returned), and Razer's software is kinda meh.
No idea as the only mouse i had previously was a DA chroma that i used for 3ish years and it never quit on me. Started looking for a new mouse because i wanted wireless and at the time Logitech had the best wireless around, now theres luckily a few options in wireless for a high end mouse. The software is what it is, i would like it to be just a simple tool with the basics and as little bloat as possible but they got so many other apps of theirs they want to push on you. Unless you need to access it all the time you can just as easily configure the mouse and uninstall it too, I keep it around as i like to occasionally check battery life remaining. Its not like its pegging the CPU just eating some RAM and with 32GB I dont sweat over it.

·
WaterCooler
4,348 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts