Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
sudo apt install sl
7,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Source: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/google-stadia-ubisoft-games-release,39972.html

Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot said that porting its existing catalog of games to the Google Stadia PC game streaming service has not been costly, at least not yet.

Speaking during an investor Q&A, Guillemot said that “The extra cost to port, to make sure the games work well on Stadia is not that high. Now, we are not speaking about 2.0 types of games that will need more work, and this we will see more in the future action," as reported by Gamasutra.

• Rep+
Reactions: battlenut

·
I <3 narcissists
6,197 Posts
What is a "2.0" type of game?

·
mfw
8,634 Posts

·
BOINC Cruncher
1,816 Posts
Stadia is Linux, yet they don't release any games for Linux even though "The extra cost to port, to make sure the games work well on Stadia(Linux) is not that high." :sozo:

·
sudo apt install sl
7,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stadia is Linux, yet they don't release any games for Linux even though "The extra cost to port, to make sure the games work well on Stadia(Linux) is not that high." :sozo:
That's exactly how I feel. Bungie pisses me off since they don't support wine and permanently ban when users use it. Yet they are going to be releasing a ported Stadia game at launch.

·
High Clocker
3,237 Posts
Extra cost to port isnt high because its subsidized.

·
Graphics Junkie
2,468 Posts
Sure, and Android is Linux so why don't we have ports for Android too!

/Sarcasm

·
Registered
780 Posts
are they doing proper ports or using something like "WINE"?

·
BOINC Cruncher
1,816 Posts
Sure, and Android is Linux so why don't we have ports for Android too!

/Sarcasm

Android isn't an x86 distro. But yes, Ubisoft does make Android games.

are they doing proper ports or using something like "WINE"?

That's what I was wondering, but either way, there is no reason for them to not release a linux version other than ideology. I think the reason for not supporting Linux from most big publishers isn't really about cost. There has to be some "back scratching" with Microsoft or something going on. Prior to id being bought by Zenimax, they released Linux versions of everything. Afterwards, nothing. None of the Linux versions of their games are available on steam. Quake Live worked in Linux prior to their purchase. The linux version was removed after, and it's just a game that's played in a browser with a plugin.

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
5,967 Posts
Android isn't an x86 distro.
Android can run on x86 just as windows can run on ARM. It actually runs better in my opinion then windows does on ARM. But they both have very limited support. :)

·
BOINC Cruncher
1,816 Posts
Android can run on x86 just as windows can run on ARM. It actually runs better in my opinion then windows does on ARM. But they both have very limited support. :)

Yes, Android can run on x86, but the version that is installed on everyone's phone in ARM.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,774 Posts
not surprising based on the HTML5 black flag? thing they did, which based on my time in it, was a successful.

I would assume 2.0 means newest titles, action titles, FPS stuff... idk, google didn't render a decent answer in my 30 seconds of scanning, so I don't really care.

moba & all that can run on a toaster, so I would assume those get pushed hard at first.

Uhg, I miss my shield. #3 is OTW back from RMA.

my question would be how this affects local hardware costs down the road once a good portion of mainstream gaming is being done via streamed content?

·
Registered
72 Posts
So now we can play the most repetitive generic games on a platform with the worst latency, hooray. Here ubisoft, have a carebear

·
Overclocker
11,356 Posts
Android isn't an x86 distro. But yes, Ubisoft does make Android games.

That's what I was wondering, but either way, there is no reason for them to not release a linux version other than ideology. I think the reason for not supporting Linux from most big publishers isn't really about cost. There has to be some "back scratching" with Microsoft or something going on. Prior to id being bought by Zenimax, they released Linux versions of everything. Afterwards, nothing. None of the Linux versions of their games are available on steam. Quake Live worked in Linux prior to their purchase. The linux version was removed after, and it's just a game that's played in a browser with a plugin.
Yeah it's called technical differences. Porting a DX11 game to OGL or DX12 to Vulkan is not a small task. Plus a company has to dedicate resources into supporting each version, as such they try to have as least versions as possible and don't want to bother with that 0.1% of market of gaming on Linux.

Even a game is in OGL/Vulkan there still needs to be support and the whole thing redone in some ways since Win32 API isn't exactly on Linux etc. So if they don't use universal cross platform everything, as in every development framework and API, then they have to rewrite.

On top of that Linux isn't exactly well known for supporting cutting edge features for multimedia such as adaptive sync (took many years), HDR (still doesn't as far as I know), having endless amount of frameworks and middleware for developers to use nor having great graphics drivers that rival those on Windows in performance.

They will rather support PC + xbox (just a low end PC anyway) + PS (a proprietary OS PC), than bother supporting Linux.

---

The only that may get streamed gaming is those simple games that a phone car run anyway. So far every single game streaming service failed because the technical and monetary demands are high to build data centers in many locations and even then the latency is attrocious, performance low and what you can play on these without being bothered by the technical issues are slower older games, not fast paced games, aka your old PC or a phone can already run those.

In the end this scheme is turning games, movies, music, etc. into pay as you view/listen. You own nothing, they own it all, you pay for consuming every single time.

·
More Cores!
1,239 Posts
I just don't see Stadia catching on, man. Unless Google forces it. And this is coming from a guy with gigabit fiber at his house.

·
BOINC Cruncher
1,816 Posts
Yeah it's called technical differences. Porting a DX11 game to OGL or DX12 to Vulkan is not a small task. Plus a company has to dedicate resources into supporting each version, as such they try to have as least versions as possible and don't want to bother with that 0.1% of market of gaming on Linux.

Even a game is in OGL/Vulkan there still needs to be support and the whole thing redone in some ways since Win32 API isn't exactly on Linux etc. So if they don't use universal cross platform everything, as in every development framework and API, then they have to rewrite.

On top of that Linux isn't exactly well known for supporting cutting edge features for multimedia such as adaptive sync (took many years), HDR (still doesn't as far as I know), having endless amount of frameworks and middleware for developers to use nor having great graphics drivers that rival those on Windows in performance.

They will rather support PC + xbox (just a low end PC anyway) + PS (a proprietary OS PC), than bother supporting Linux.

---

The only that may get streamed gaming is those simple games that a phone car run anyway. So far every single game streaming service failed because the technical and monetary demands are high to build data centers in many locations and even then the latency is attrocious, performance low and what you can play on these without being bothered by the technical issues are slower older games, not fast paced games, aka your old PC or a phone can already run those.

In the end this scheme is turning games, movies, music, etc. into pay as you view/listen. You own nothing, they own it all, you pay for consuming every single time.

That's why you use Vulkan in the first place. Vulkan is the graphics API used on Stadia, the hard work is already done. No justifiable reason not to release a Linux desktop version if a version for Stadia is available.

Freesync taking so long to work on Linux was the fault of AMD. Just like Navi cards not working in Linux until this coming September is the fault of AMD while Gysnc has worked for years, and Nvidia Super cards had same day drivers.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Yeah it's called technical differences. Porting a DX11 game to OGL or DX12 to Vulkan is not a small task.
DXVK does it on the fly.

Plus a company has to dedicate resources into supporting each version, as such they try to have as least versions as possible and don't want to bother with that 0.1% of market of gaming on Linux.
Program it for Vulkan in the first place. Problem solved.

As far as I'm concerned, performance is fantastic. I bought the RE2 Remake and I was surprised to see it running above 60 FPS @ 1440p on my RX 580 at pretty high settings which is pretty much in line with the Windows side of things. Mind you, on an open source driver. That's nuts.

As diffident said, the lateness of FreeSync for Linux was 100% on AMD's side. If anything, you see new features in Linux before than Windows.

HDR is a couple kernel versions away.

Newsflash: There are plenty of native Linux games. Even AAA ones.

·
Spaghetti
1,130 Posts
I just don't see Stadia catching on, man. Unless Google forces it. And this is coming from a guy with gigabit fiber at his house.
I don't see it being successful either, but if they offer a free version that operates decently it will be hard for consoles and PC's to compete. That's just lowering profits for everyone involved, though

·
Graphics Junkie
2,468 Posts
Ubisoft still exists? XD Guess selling rubbish games goes well then.
Wildlands and the newer assassin's Creed games are great as well as a few other. Blindly bashing Ubisoft because you're still mad about those downgrade trailer graphics is soooo 6+ years ago.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts