Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Core i5 isn't necessarily a new term floating around the Internet, however lately there's been quite a bit of talk about the "Core i7 lite," and now there's a motherboard to support it.

Earlier this week, we reported that P55 motherboards compatible with Intel's Lynnfield CPUs (aka Core i5) may actually start shipping in July, and sure enough, Gigabyte's GA-IBP made a grand appearance at CeBIT this afternoon, months ahead of June's Computex "big reveal" as we originally predicted. In comparison to the meatier Core i7, the Core i5 serves as a cheaper, "lite" alternative for consumers wanting plenty of power but need to pinch pennies.

According to Engadget, on-hand gigabyte representative were tight-lipped about the specifics of the GA-IBP motherboard, saying that many of the details were still under an NDA. Additionally, Intel's booth proved just as uninformative, claiming that no Core i5 prototypes were available at the show. Still, after recent reports circulating about possible Core i5 boards shipping soon, it's good to actually see the physical product.

Gigabyte actually did post a few details next to the motherboard at the show, revealing that the GA-IBP offers dual channel DDR3, ATI CrossFireX and Nvidia SLI support, and Blu-ray playback supported by high quality 106dB SNR ALC8898 HD audio. Gigabyte's board also features an on-board 2-gigabyte Ethernet LAN connection with Teaming functionality as well as Power/Reset/Cir CMOS onboard buttons for easy workbench operations.

If all goes according to plan, look for both the processor and motherboard to hit the market in July.
Source

·
Registered
776 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by homestyle View Post
Where's the northbridge?

And the cpu socket is awefully close to the ram slots.
Northbridge is under the only heatsink you can see. as for south bridge would have to assume that now the northbridge doesnt have to do the memory controlling it can easily do the job of the south bridge.

·
Iconoclast
31,554 Posts
Quote:

Where's the northbridge?
There isn't one.

The main PCI-E lanes and the memory connect directly to the CPU.

The P55 is essentially a southbridge.

Quote:

And the cpu socket is awefully close to the ram slots.
Integrated memory controler is responsible for that. The shortest usable trace lengths are best.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blameless View Post
There isn't one.

The main PCI-E lanes and the memory connect directly to the CPU.

The P55 is essentially a southbridge.

Integrated memory controler is responsible for that. The shortest usable trace lengths are best.
Shouldn't that reduce the motherboards price compared to all the other ones that have a memory controller?

·
Overclock? What?
3,247 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Humanfactor View Post
Shouldn't that reduce the motherboards price compared to all the other ones that have a memory controller?
Of course not they want your money

·
Registered
62 Posts
There is now only one chip controlling everything now, PCH or Platform Controller Hub which is connected to the CPU by DMI ( Desktop Management Interface ).

Lynnfield and Havendale CPUs will support 16 PCI-E 2.0 lanes or 8 + 8 for SLi/Xfire

PCH will have 14 USB, 6 SATA Raid 0/1/5/10, 8 PCI-E 2.0 lanes ( arranged in any order ) and Gigabit Ethernet.

So far it looks like P55/i5 will be legacy free unless board manufactures add more chips onto the boards.

So yeah looks like P55 is going to be very cheap compared to X58.

·
Premium Member
6,045 Posts
That is the hope, and I have seen some motherboard specs showing SLI and crossfire support on a single board, which is always good. I hope they can strech to accommodate full x16 bandwidth, but that may take another released. I expect these boards will probably be as low as 120 dollars, but ranging about as high as 250 to start, like when the P45 chipset first came out. By Q1 2010 they could be about the same price of current p45 if all things are constant.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Back to the old color scheme I see. I rather liked the Blue/White with a bit of Orange they used on their X58 line, it's a shame to see it go away.

·
Iconoclast
31,554 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Humanfactor View Post
Yeah, and that's the main reason for the existence of Core i5.

Core i5 should offer almost identical clock-for-clock, and core-for-core, performance to Core i7, at least for single graphics card setups.

It should also cost even less than LGA775 once production is in full swing.

·
!
17,294 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blameless
View Post

Core i5 should offer almost identical clock-for-clock, and core-for-core, performance to Core i7, at least for single graphics card setups.

It should also cost even less than LGA775 once production is in full swing.

There has to be some sort of catch about i5 that makes it a less attractive option than i7

If i5 is essentially the same thing as i7 for most things, then their i7 sales will not do very well

·
Premium Member
6,045 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sLowEnd View Post
There has to be some sort of catch about i5 that makes it a less attractive option than i7

If i5 is essentially the same thing as i7 for most things, then their i7 sales will not do very well
Wouldn't the fact that memory has been reduced to a dual channel and some of the sophisticated processing has been removed be enough? I think the P55 motherboards are also not going to provide as much features, for both gamers and work stations. The i7 will continue to just like any of the extreme series did, only better because it is cheaper. I for one won't be going i5 but i7 in the future, unless even in workstation applications there is shown to be little or no difference.

·
!
17,294 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mothergoose729 View Post
Wouldn't the fact that memory has been reduced to a dual channel and some of the sophisticated processing has been removed be enough? I think the P55 motherboards are also not going to provide as much features, for both gamers and work stations. The i7 will continue to just like any of the extreme series did, only better because it is cheaper. I for one won't be going i5 but i7 in the future, unless even in workstation applications there is shown to be little or no difference.

Can you elaborate on this?

·
Premium Member
5,069 Posts
intel said before that i5 won't be able to overclock, but i have seen signs for i5 boards that talk about their overclocking options.

if all they did was make it dual instead of tripple channel, people here on ocn won't buy any i7s... they will just buy i5s instead and overclock them, unless they want the 965.

·
Registered
782 Posts
New NB-SB system is crapping on my mind..

Quote:

Originally Posted by {core2duo}werd
View Post

intel said before that i5 won't be able to overclock, but i have seen signs for i5 boards that talk about their overclocking options.

if all they did was make it dual instead of tripple channel, people here on ocn won't buy any i7s... they will just buy i5s instead and overclock them, unless they want the 965.

No OC?EWW!!!

·
Iconoclast
31,554 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sLowEnd
View Post

i5 really should be virtually as good as i7 for single video card users.

I highly doubt that I would personally see any difference at all in performance if I replaced my board and CPU with an i5 configuration, as I'm only using a single GPU.

The catches:

No QPI bus, meaning multiple video card configurations will be bandwidth starved. No QPI bus also means there is no hope for multi-socket LGA1156 setups.

Fewer memory channles and slots, meaning that extremely memory bandwidth dependent apps might be a bit slower on i7 and that maximum supported memory will be less.

No 6-core CPUs.

Probably lower binned, and no unlocked (i.e. no XE CPUs) CPUs. Still, OCing should be good regardless.

If you're familar with AMD, the difference between i5 and i7 will be similar to the difference between S754 and S939.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aryuautku
View Post

New NB-SB system is crapping on my mind..

It's hardly new.

I was running essentially the same chipset configuration in 2004 with my NForce 3 boards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aryuautku
View Post

No OC?EWW!!!

I'd bet almost anything that i5 will be the favored platform for budget OCing within a year.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts