Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Vandelay Industries
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Nvidia releases beta Linux driver that bypasses anit-mining lock.
The simple hack reportedly requires a clean driver install with Nvidia's latest GeForce 370.05 Beta driver — some report the need to flash the GeForce RTX 3060 graphics card with a hacked vBIOS, though in our testing that's not required. Nvidia apparently messed up something in this particular driver that renders its anti-mining algorithm completely useless.

Above, you can see Ethereum mining performance using the 461.81 drivers, topping out at around 28MH/s after tuning. (We set the power limit to 75% and boosted the memory clock by 1250MHz using MSI Afterburner.) With the 470.05 drivers, using the same power and clock settings, we're now getting a consistent 48MH/s. It's also interesting that power use didn't change between the drivers, coming in at around 118W in both cases.

Now that the cat is out of the bag, Nvidia will likely remove the driver and pretend that it never existed. Sadly, the news is everywhere, meaning that cryptominers will be back on the hunt for GeForce RTX 3060 graphics cards.
Source: Nvidia Hacks Its Own GeForce RTX 3060 Anti-Mining Lock (Updated)

Edit: Also and tbh I should have looked further

Credit seems to come from ComputerBase and confirmation from HardwareLuxx

ComputerBase can confirm that only the beta driver GeForce 470.05 distributed by Nvidia to developers and via the Windows Insider Program ensures that the performance of the GeForce RTX 3060 in the Ethereum algorithm no longer drops. A BIOS update is not necessary.
— ComputerBase

· Laptop Enthusiast
10,010 Posts
I'm more upset that the 3060 is such a terrible value even at MSRP. It's 10% faster than a 2060 Super... after two years? That's terrible!

· Newb to Overclock.net
5,172 Posts
^^ Two Minute Papers

· PC Evangelist
48,808 Posts
I think the driver still does not allow the GPU to mine outside one GPU.

· Robotic Chemist
4,477 Posts
True, which is interesting. It works for home at-night miners but it is still annoying for full time mining rigs.

However, it is also a great in for others to start working from. I expect the trend to continue.

· Vandelay Industries
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
True, which is interesting. It works for home at-night miners but it is still annoying for full time mining rigs.

However, it is also a great in for others to start working from. I expect the trend to continue.
Welp they have pulled the driver so they are screwing the single gpu miners as well. But like mentioned...it shows it can be done, and most likely will be.

· god loves ugly
4,295 Posts
VMs with the GPUs passed through would be a relatively simple workaround

Just requires a motherboard/CPU that supports VT-d/IOMMU

· Newb to Overclock.net
5,172 Posts
NVidia flexing to prove they are in control.

Welp they have pulled the driver so they are screwing the single gpu miners as well. But like mentioned...it shows it can be done, and most likely will be.
It cannot be done, unless you have access to NVidia's private keys for signing BIOS and drivers.

· Premium Member
6,221 Posts
NVidia flexing to prove they are in control.

It cannot be done, unless you have access to NVidia's private keys for signing BIOS and drivers.
How are they in control? You can find the driver easily. Search for "Nvidia driver 470.05" and you will find it.

Getting past the single GPU restriction is trivial with virtualization.

It's not that the mining lockdown on these card was some kind of sacred right from Nvidia. We all knew it was baloney. It is just so rich that Nvidia themselves were the ones to hack it.

· WaterCooler
5,675 Posts
I've decided I'm not a fan if artificially limiting something.

Also..."by mistake".

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

· LTSC for life crew
6,698 Posts
I'm more upset that the 3060 is such a terrible value even at MSRP. It's 10% faster than a 2060 Super... after two years? That's terrible!
Yeah it's definitely not a powerhouse that much is for sure. The real gains are in the laptop world, where the 3060 is outperforming the mobile 2070 by a healthy margin in areas. One thing is certain though, the 3060 is quite energy efficient for the capability it does have.

· Laptop Enthusiast
10,010 Posts
Yeah it's definitely not a powerhouse that much is for sure. The real gains are in the laptop world, where the 3060 is outperforming the mobile 2070 by a healthy margin in areas. One thing is certain though, the 3060 is quite energy efficient for the capability it does have.
The laptop area has garbage-tier gains. Getting a 20% improvement at the same power draw is terrible. It's not impressive when you know that a 2070 mobile is slower than a desktop 2060 across the board. Heck, even the absolute best 2080 Super mobile options (180w) were only about on par with a desktop 2060... which is quite unfortunate tbh.

So no, Ampere is not shining in the mobile scene either. It's Fermi all over again. Doubled performance at the cost of doubled power draw... that's not hard to do FYI.

• Rep+
Reactions: speed_demon

· LTSC for life crew
6,698 Posts
The laptop area has garbage-tier gains. Getting a 20% improvement at the same power draw is terrible. It's not impressive when you know that a 2070 mobile is slower than a desktop 2060 across the board. Heck, even the absolute best 2080 Super mobile options (180w) were only about on par with a desktop 2060... which is quite unfortunate tbh.

So no, Ampere is not shining in the mobile scene either. It's Fermi all over again. Doubled performance at the cost of doubled power draw... that's not hard to do FYI.
Oh really? You must have more experience with them than I do. I only had a little bit of hands on time with a 3060 laptop I was setting up for a gaming buddy of mine. Seemed to perform quite well though with the built in 1080p panel. Was quite impressed that the laptop ran so cool in games.

I had the Asus 240Hz + i7 + RTX 2070 laptop. 95W TDP video card IIRC, and yeah it was a weak performer and the reviews mention it was maybe comparable to a 1660 desktop card. For the cost I had expected a whole lot better. (this one - https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...-q-1tb-ssd-prism-gray/6403815.p?skuId=6403815)

I'm not too familiar with Fermi as I was running AMD video cards at that time. I switched back to nv for Kepler which had decent performance at the time but my 680 was quite a heat maker.

· Vandelay Industries
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bit of an update:

What this all means is that just over a month after GeForce RTX 3060 release, miners have been able to successfully use this graphics card model in a typical multi-GPU mining rig without any limitations. The mining limiter on RTX 3060 has now become completely useless.

· Registered
6 Posts
So they bring out the 3060... with a bios that limits the hashrate by half... then it gets broken by the same software...yea please tell me that Nvidia isn't helping miners again? Why cant these companies make a card that dedicated to just mining? I am sure they can make an affordable chip that would be able to handle a high hashrate and not interfere with consumer GPUs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts