Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/samsung-pm981-980-nvme-ssd,35689.html
Quote:
The 1TB model delivers up to 3,200 MB/s sequential read and 2,400 MB/s sequential write performance. Random 4KB numbers run up to 380,000 IOPS read and 440,000 IOPS write. We've already seen a CrystalDiskMark result with even higher performance but have yet to verify the legitimacy of the image.

This image has emerged today via the Taobao sale page. The PM981 features a thin metal heatsink over the new Polaris V2 controller.
TB27iQweLMTUeJjSZFKXXagopXa_!!719496775.jpg

these OEMs are going for $440 USD on the 1TB
retail variants expected 01/2018
time to send the 960 PRO that I just got, back?

·
Overclocked
2,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/samsung-pm981-980-nvme-ssd,35689.html
TB27iQweLMTUeJjSZFKXXagopXa_!!719496775.jpg

these OEMs are going for $440 USD on the 1TB
retail variants expected 01/2018
Why would you send back your 960 Pro which has MLC nand flash and replace it with 981 which clearly states TLC nand flash, only difference other than that appears to be a new controller
smile.gif

·
Registered
680 Posts

They only increased the speeds just a little bit so you won't feel so bad and want to return it. They still have plenty of room for future releases with further increases in speed, watch out for those..

·
Overclocked
2,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo_Morpheus View Post

They only increased the speeds just a little bit so you won't feel so bad and want to return it. They still have plenty of room for future releases with further increases in speed, watch out for those..
Reads are actually slightly slower but writes are slightly quicker
smile.gif

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by scracy View Post

Why would you send back your 960 Pro which has MLC nand flash and replace it with 981 which clearly states TLC nand flash, only difference other than that appears to be a new controller
smile.gif
well not for the TLC NAND...you can pretty much bet the MLC (970 PRO?) or Z-NAND (980?) will be plenty quicker

·
Overclocked
2,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post

well not for the TLC NAND...you can pretty much bet the MLC or Z-NAND version will be plenty quicker
In most scenario's at least on the mainstream platform 960 Pro already approaches saturation point of DMI 3.0, until DMI 4.0 is introduced I see little point in "upgrading"

·
Banned
8,804 Posts
"Controller: Samsung Polaris V2"

OCN's wet dream!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Overclocked
2,003 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Quote:

I realise that, I was referring to Intel mainstream platform which in a majority of cases (not all) the M.2 is via the chipset lanes and as such DMI 3.0
smile.gif
Ryzen will be the same as X399 right (going directly to the cpu)?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was not aware of such saturation on pcie..thanks for the info

·
Overclocked
2,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mech0z View Post

I believe so but dont quote me
smile.gif

·
Robotic Chemist
3,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mech0z View Post

Yes, Ryzen has 4 more PCIe lanes compared to mainstream Intel. With only 16x PCIe from the CPU motherboards usually do not connect those PCIe lanes to M.2 ports but with 4 extra it is much more likely.

·
Overclocked
2,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post

Yes, Ryzen has 4 more PCIe lanes compared to mainstream Intel. With only 16x PCIe from the CPU motherboards usually do not connect those PCIe lanes to M.2 ports but with 4 extra it is much more likely.
2x 960 Pro in Raid 0 saturating the DMI 3.0 on Z170, ignore the benches on the right, just some fun with a RAM cache
smile.gif

·
Robotic Chemist
3,281 Posts
Quote:

2x 960 Pro in Raid 0 saturating the DMI 3.0 on Z170, ignore the benches on the right, just some fun with a RAM cache
smile.gif
Can you do RAID0 with one M.2 using CPU PCIe lanes and another using chipset PCIe lanes on a X370 motherboard? I wonder how much faster those drives would go.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
is bootable NVMe RAID coming to Ryzen 7 as well?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts