Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ubuntu 11.10 Will Feature ARM Support, Ships Soon

Quote:

This week during the OpenStack conference in Boston, Canonical CEO Jane Silber revealed several new features that will be included in the next version of the company's Ubuntu Linux distribution, Ubuntu 11.10. She also announced that both the desktop and the server editions will be released next Thursday, October 13.

Source: Toms Hardware
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Ubu...ber,13644.html

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Thanks for the release date.

Also nice to see progress working on ARM. I have seen a modified Ubuntu that the Modding community has got (somewhat) working on the SII (and probably others). It is nice to see that this is being worked on from both ends. As soon as it is reasonably stable and has a full menu panel, I will switch over full-time. I have been sick of flipping through apps for some time now.

I know it will be a while before we can get a good sized repository with the cash cow that the market is, though one day we should see a a real open source platform for mobile computing.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
448 Posts
Ubuntu powered smartphones anyone?

·
PC Evangelist
47,495 Posts
Could you install it in Current Tabs and Phones? If so i would love Ubuntu in my Transformer.

·
Premium Member
8,564 Posts
I don't know if a Ubuntu Unity/Gnome phone appeals since they're kind of bloated/slow DEs compared to XFCE, LXDE, and Enlightenment. But it would be nice to finally have something to make these pad fads useful.

·
PC Evangelist
47,495 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Interpolation
View Post

Ubuntu has already been released on XDA for the Acer Iconia A500 tablet. I've been playing around with it for months.

I'm glad its finally going mainstream.

Is it the full system? Does it have flash support?

·
Politically incorrect
9,463 Posts
Even though my phone has a crappy ARM11 CPU I can't wait for official ARM support. I am glad I ordered a 16GB SD card, now I can't wait to install Ubuntu on it, it'll be amazing.

I hope this means that Mint will also be released with ARM support. Not having to install flash and having VLC and other programmes native will be easier than Ubuntu.

·
Politically incorrect
9,463 Posts
Yes you can but it's buggy from what I've read. This is official support, and hopefully fewer bugs.

·
Premium Member
7,040 Posts
You can already install ubuntu on a fair few android phones and tablets... support from ubuntu(obviously not from the manufacturers) would help a lot though
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
9,637 Posts
Most of the current Ubuntu smartphone ports are based on running Ubuntu in the background and VNC'ing into it.. e.g. you don't boot directly into Ubuntu

·
I like computers
7,546 Posts
I wonder if it would work on ancient Arm devices like my Palm Tungsten E2.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er;15234435
Is it the full system? Does it have flash support?
Not exactly. It is a modified version that is tailored to the Iconias hardware, and the size restrictions of a external sd card. Yes it does have flash support and the ability to download and install additional packages.

·
Gamer
3,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowtroop121;15234002
Android sucks. But a Ubuntu phone?!

*drools*
confused.gif
what's wrong with Android? You're an apple fanboy or something?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts