Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, my pump started making a very loud clicking noise today, and upon draining the fluid, a ton of flakey gray and black stuff was found in the fluid. It disintegrates to the touch. I attached a picture... What could it be? Loop was running fine for 6 months prior to this. No mixed metals, and using utopia as my biocide.

Attachments

·
professional curmudgeon
10,391 Posts
i'd hazard a guess and say thats what i would expect if the rad(s) weren't flush (enough?)

i think the big deal ATM is since they break up easily the pump does not seem damaged? maybe look at the inpeller.

though idk, maybe list your parts maybe something will show as having a known defect . . plating flacking(??) or something. but i'm think rad flushing w/o knowing more.

·
Rig Advisor
1,986 Posts
Hey all, my pump started making a very loud clicking noise today, and upon draining the fluid, a ton of flakey gray and black stuff was found in the fluid. It disintegrates to the touch. I attached a picture... What could it be? Loop was running fine for 6 months prior to this. No mixed metals, and using utopia as my biocide.
Could be remaining flux from rads, but my bet is you had black stop plugs in your loop when you ran mayhems part one and some of the black coating is falling off and into your loop. Though when you say it disintegrates to the touch it makes me think it is organic in nature. Hmmm. Maybe wrong proportion of biocide?

·
Overclocker in training
13,011 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kryographics copper 2080ti block
Heatkiller copper TR4 Block
ek quantum kinetic d5
2x gts360 rads
alot of ek fittings
primochill tubing and utopia

I'm in the process of disassembling loop now.. Still tons of flakey black stuff everywhere.

·
professional curmudgeon
10,391 Posts
ek quantum kinetic d5
2x gts360 rads
alot of ek fittings

I'm in the process of disassembling loop now.. Still tons of flakey black stuff everywhere.
unfortunately, its good to start tearing it apart. i didn't consider the flaking and pump noise may have started at the same time; i thought the flakes caused the noise. the only thing i can think of that is black is the pump's impeller. (unless something fittings wise is plated).

i really don't know - just spit balling - how much of that flakey stuff in total? if it isn't that much, it still could be debris that never flushed before (for whatever reason)

·
Overclocker in training
13,011 Posts
Hi,
Yeah I'd guess the pump came apart or something came loose and grind some plastic off other parts.
Hardware labs rads are pretty filthy but not that filthy :)

·
I remember when......
3,812 Posts
I had that happen to my last loop but 1000 times more debris after a very short time. My rad was flushed several times and the debris didn't show up for months. Pump never really made any noise though but I noticed some debris in the reservoir but had no time to clean so I put it off. The debris started getting worse and worse, I tore down the loop and I kid you not I had small PILES of this flakey debris that would crack and flake when touched.

My final determination was the tubing coming apart inside. I was using black Primochill tubing and seemed like the inside of the tubing was just breaking down. I was using some yellow dyed fluid (can't remember the brand, this was a few years back) so not sure if that contributed or caused the break down.

If your pump is making noise though it would be a good idea to flush and test it with clean water, see if it is breaking internally and the culprit or not.

·
Invalid Media
2,146 Posts
For custom loops, I learned to ALWAYS flush new (never mind used) rads. I have yet to come across any radiator brand which didn't have black flaky stuff inside from the get-go. Per first attached pic, I use the shower / bathtub for multiple flushes until there's no more debris, then do two more flushes with tap water. Finally, I flush the whole thing again twice with distilled water. I take a similar approach with custom CPU and GPU blocks and even tubes. It really does pay off in the long run - for example, I completed my main build in late '18 (5x 360/55 rads, 4x D5s, 2x GPU blocks, 1x Heatkiller TR block). I was considering maintenance / fluid change recently, but everything is still pristine visually and also temp wise.

As to pump noise and flakes (and then some, see pic 2 ++): My original foray into water-cooling involved a TT 240mm AIO back in late 2012. That little AIO ran on various non-HEDT systems for almost 8 years 24/7/365 until recently after I had moved the rad and tubes around for better cable management. ...Afterwards, temps shot up by 40C+ and the pump was making weird, loud noises (though was still running at 3k rpm). So I took the AIO apart, flushed everything along along the lines described above, refilled the AIO with TT fluid (anti-corrosive, rated for multi-metal) and temps are better than ever before. In other words, just because the pump screeched doesn't necessarily mean it is broken, probably just blocked with debris and perhaps cavitating.

...it is never pleasant to tear down a nice new build, but I think you probably should and clean everything thoroughly

Attachments

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took apart cpu block, found this almost tarlike gunk

Attachments

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Problem is this black stuff is extremely hard to brush off. Tried vinegar and vinegar+baking soda already. I can't even scratch it off with my nail. Could it just be standard oxidization I'm seeing in the copper block that is unrelated to the black flakes in my loop?

Also I should mention that I cleaned my rads out thoroughly before installing them...

·
Overclocker in training
13,011 Posts
Problem is this black stuff is extremely hard to brush off. Tried vinegar and vinegar+baking soda already. I can't even scratch it off with my nail. Could it just be standard oxidization I'm seeing in the copper block that is unrelated to the black flakes in my loop?
Hi,
Wow that's weird stuck like glued :/

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Also take a look at the inside of this tubing (immediately after the CPU block). It's stained black. This is the only tubing that is significantly stained, which I also find very odd.

My loop order is
Pump/res -> front rad -> gpu -> cpu -> top rad -> pump/res.

Attachments

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I took apart pump and impeller and saw more little black debris. There was also a tiny piece of plastic that broke off the impeller housing. At this point I'm guessing a piece of the pump broke off and disintegrated into tiny pieces. There's also tiny circular microscratches on the inside of the pump magnetic housing.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ek quantum kinetic d5
2x gts360 rads
alot of ek fittings

unfortunately, its good to start tearing it apart. i didn't consider the flaking and pump noise may have started at the same time; i thought the flakes caused the noise. the only thing i can think of that is black is the pump's impeller. (unless something fittings wise is plated).

i really don't know - just spit balling - how much of that flakey stuff in total? if it isn't that much, it still could be debris that never flushed before (for whatever reason)
There's alot of flakey black stuff. Way more than should be rad flux. Especially since I Cleaned the rads thoroughly.

·
Overclocker in training
13,011 Posts
ek quantum kinetic d5
2x gts360 rads
alot of ek fittings

Hi,
Well if you contact ek say nothing about your your fluid
Just say coolant and it's ek for best story lol

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here's the impeller. Notice the black edge isn't smooth (this is where some black plastic broke off)

Attachments

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
And whoa look at this inlet tube, is this corrosion?

This is the ekd5 quantum kinetic. According to their website, the inlet tube is nickel plated brass. It shouldn't conflict...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 76 Posts