Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night i pushed my chip to 4ghz stable (or so i thought). Was running O.C.C.T and watching a bit of youtube at the same time, then BAM. Screen froze, computer started buzzing and wouldn't even reboot itself. After a good few hours of trying to restart (and failing each time) i unplugged the motherboard, reseated the hsf, then removed and replaced the bios battery. I honestly thought i buggered my computer completely. Finally managed to load into bios (just about), set it to default - and everything seems to be okay now.

It's a real shame - i was getting good results by overclocking. 10-15fps more in F1-2010 just by O/Cing the cpu, with much improved gameplay. Benchmarks were improving massively, about 20% increase in some circumstances. I was having fun in seeing how far my system could go by overclokcing my RAM and 460 aswell.

But now i'm unsure as to whether it's safe to overclock again. It's no problem updating in the near future, but i just wanted to max out my system before doing so, maybe even wait for keplar/northan islands/ivy/bulldozer etc on my current rig.

Is what happened last night simply an overclocking blip or cause for serious concern?

Any thoughts.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyster;11958365
Last night i pushed my chip to 4ghz stable (or so i thought). Was running O.C.C.T and watching a bit of youtube at the same time, then BAM. Screen froze, computer started buzzing and wouldn't even reboot itself. After a good few hours of trying to restart (and failing each time) i unplugged the motherboard, reseated the hsf, then removed and replaced the bios battery. I honestly thought i buggered my computer completely. Finally managed to load into bios (just about), set it to default - and everything seems to be okay now.

It's a real shame - i was getting good results by overclocking. 10-15fps more in F1-2010 just by O/Cing the cpu, with much improved gameplay. Benchmarks were improving massively, about 20% increase in some circumstances. I was having fun in seeing how far my system could go by overclokcing my RAM and 460 aswell.

But now i'm unsure as to whether it's safe to overclock again. It's no problem updating in the near future, but i just wanted to max out my system before doing so, maybe even wait for keplar/northan islands/ivy/bulldozer etc on my current rig.

Is what happened last night simply an overclocking blip or cause for serious concern?

Any thoughts.
That's a good thing if it froze, because that's telling you that your overclock might be too high and unstable. What you need to do is increase the volt's a little more and stay under 62C when under full load.

Next time when you overclock, Run a program called Prime95 for at least 30minutes, longer preferabley, And this will tell you if your overclock is stable so you won't see any crashes like that happen again.

It took me time to get my 1055T at 4.27GHz from 2.8GHz, but with patience, i managed to get it stable all day long 24/7

Don't worry, Iv'e been there myself, But with alot of internet reaserch, you will find that these crashes while overclocking is normal.

Overclocking my CPU is like taking drugs to me haha! it get's me high like my CPU. To many people, Overclocking is a hobby and it get's highly addictive... Trust me
tongue.gif

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
You're good.

All you probably had to do was jump the CMOS reset on the bios--instead of removing the battery, most motherboards just have a jumper on the motherboard to bridge the two pins to set the BIOS settings back to stock.

Other than hard drive corruption--which has the potential (however unlikely) to happen anytime you start overclocking--you're not going to damage your components appreciably beyond if you ran them at stock.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I once cleared my CMOS 7 times in an hour, trying to get the most out of my rig. And apparently I'm being held back by my motherboard cause it has no voltage control.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryagainplss;11958664
I once cleared my CMOS 7 times in an hour, trying to get the most out of my rig. And apparently I'm being held back by my motherboard cause it has no voltage control.
BIOS update to the latest version?

·
Registered
10,400 Posts
hell i did moderate oc my new Q6700 and the mobo dies during testing I'm gonna have to ship it out. other people on new egg were able to do the same with a Q6600 with out it dieing.

• Rep+
Reactions: lyster

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomfix;11958673
BIOS update to the latest version?
I'm already at the latest one.

I just hope MSI-AMI makes one that supports voltage control..

·
RTX Sight Unseen
2,373 Posts
One thing to add to what other have said, when you are running a stress test on your GPU or CPU put the keyboard and mouse down and go watch TV
smile.gif

When your CPU/GPU is running at 100% trying to smash through even web browsing can cause a freeze or other types of instability.

• Rep+

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tconroy135;11958761
One thing to add to what other have said, when you are running a stress test on your GPU or CPU put the keyboard and mouse down and go watch TV
smile.gif

When your CPU/GPU is running at 100% trying to smash through even web browsing can cause a freeze or other types of instability.
LOOOOL

I was surfing OCN while doing Prime95 on 3.5 GHz on my processor. Then bam! BSOD. I might do the overclock again, this time leaving my PC alone.
tongue.gif

But yeah wouldn't upping the volts require protection on the mosfets? I've been told that OC'ing CPUs with voltage increases might risk the mobo's components frying so I'm not pushing above stock 1.4v as of now due to a lack of mosfet heatsinks.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsoviet;11958784
LOOOOL

I was surfing OCN while doing Prime95 on 3.5 GHz on my processor. Then bam! BSOD. I might do the overclock again, this time leaving my PC alone.
tongue.gif

But yeah wouldn't upping the volts require protection on the mosfets? I've been told that OC'ing CPUs with voltage increases might risk the mobo's components frying so I'm not pushing above stock 1.4v as of now due to a lack of mosfet heatsinks.
Yup, the mosfet's would be burning away as you know it. Run Prime95 for 10mins and touch the mosfet's heatsink, and you would be surprised on how hot it is. Especially on mine. I will get a picture inside my PC later and put it up on one of my thread that i posted on "AMD CPU's" earlier.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had the vcore @ 1.45v when it crashed. And yeah, trying to watch youtube whilst running stress test was probably massive fail on my part lol:).

But it doesn't seem to of affected anything thankfully. Right back at 4Ghz as i type. Now up to 1.5v. Wasn't going push/pull before either, but that has improved temps at high voltages A LOT. Now sitting at 35c with my heater on full.

About to begin stress test (very nervous:(). Will use Prime95 instead of OCCT this time.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Do you have a C2 or a C3 CPU? CPU-Z/CPUID will tell you if you don't know. Mine is a C2 and I need 1.5125 volts on the core to get to 3.78GHz stable 24/7. I've gone all the way up to 1.55 volts but can't get anything above 3.78 stable. It'll usually boot if I go higher than that, but crashes in a minute or two of intel burn or prime95.

Keep at it!

• Rep+

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyster;11958844
I had the vcore @ 1.45v when it crashed. And yeah, trying to watch youtube whilst running stress test was probably massive fail on my part lol:).

But it doesn't seem to of affected anything thankfully. Right back at 4Ghz as i type. Now up to 1.5v. Wasn't going push/pull before either, but that has improved temps at high voltages A LOT. Now sitting at 35c with my heater on full.

About to begin stress test (very nervous:(). Will use Prime95 instead of OCCT this time.
Good Luck
thumb.gif
Just don't be scarred
tongue.gif
, You got use OC people to help you out
thumb.gif

Just make sure the CPU temp "NOT CORE" goes past 60C preferabley and no damage is done
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tconroy135;11958761
smile.gif

The funny thing is, I was stress testing my CPU the other night after trying to re-enable the power saving settings on my current overclock. I while I was running LinX, I was also browsing the web. Still no issues. I figured if it truely was stable, it should be able to handle it
wink.gif

I don't know if I would have done that if I didn't already know my overclock was stable. I still think I have headroom left on my CPU. I'm at 4.085 GHz on my i7 9.30 at 1.27 volts and my hottest core during an overnight Prime95 stress test was 63C. I had run that way for months before deciding that I wanted to turn the power saving features back on in the BIOS.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by purduepilot;11958911
Do you have a C2 or a C3 CPU? CPU-Z/CPUID will tell you if you don't know. Mine is a C2 and I need 1.5125 volts on the core to get to 3.78GHz stable 24/7. I've gone all the way up to 1.55 volts but can't get anything above 3.78 stable. It'll usually boot if I go higher than that, but crashes in a minute or two of intel burn or prime95.

Keep at it!
C3 Stepping! And i will keep at it. Already thinking of 4.2ghz lol. Just put yesterday down to bad luck i think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomfix;11958930
Good Luck
thumb.gif
Just don't be scarred
tongue.gif
, You got use OC people to help you out
thumb.gif

Just make sure the CPU temp "NOT CORE" goes past 60C preferabley and no damage is done
biggrin.gif
Well i ran about 15mins of prime, which isn't long i know. Was very stable and coretemp was 55c but CPU went up to 66c. Should i go off core or CPU temp?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts