Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After spending a few days trying to decide on i7/i5/AM3 I decided to go i5. I tried to keep this on a limited budget of $500 and ended up ordering:

i5 750
Foxconn Inferno Katana
2x2gb Gskill Ripjaws DDR31866
xiggy DK

Time to read up on i5 oc'ing! Anyone else have the inferno katana yet and have any results?

·
Premium Member
6,318 Posts
You shoulda got the Mugen 2.
But, thats ok.

GL man, thats a great build!

·
Premium Member
8,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikecdm
View Post

I have yet to see one person with that mb. Good luck and keep us posted.

Yeah I was a little worried about that but knew good things about their other boards so I went for it. I will definitely update with pics and OC results!

**EDIT**

from looking at the foxconn support site, the ram i bought wasn't on the compatibility list. I contacted newegg online suport and they weren't able to make any changes so I decided to cancel the order and do a little more research..

·
Premium Member
8,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbiker033
View Post

Yeah I was a little worried about that but knew good things about their other boards so I went for it. I will definitely update with pics and OC results!

**EDIT**

from looking at the foxconn support site, the ram i bought wasn't on the compatibility list. I contacted newegg online suport and they weren't able to make any changes so I decided to cancel the order and do a little more research..

I changed my mind and went with the evga P55 FTW due to warranty, customer service, and features.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Yea the p55 ftw is a really nice board. I narrowed my choices down to that one or the gd-80. It was a hard decision but I got the gd-80 based on good luck with msi in the past.

·
Premium Member
8,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by dham View Post
Yea the p55 ftw is a really nice board. I narrowed my choices down to that one or the gd-80. It was a hard decision but I got the gd-80 based on good luck with msi in the past.
I heard good things about that board too! Have you done any oc'ing on the i5? oops I see from you sig that you have, that's a nice oc with low volts! I hope I can do that!!

·
Premium Member
8,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by PathogenX View Post
ah i envy you
I want the same exact parts this christmas
evga p55 FTW
ripjaw
core i5

hopefully i will

wish me luck
and grats on the new build
thanks!! I hope santa brings the i5/FTW goodness to you too!

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
I should add a +1 for the MSI board that was mentioned. I'm using the same one right now for a friends build. Got it built lastnight and have been playing with OCing today. I got the i5 750 up to 3.8Ghz by just using the automated "OC Genie". It was really simple actually, I was rather surprised.
I'm sure 4Ghz wouldn't be hard, but I'm about maxed on temps. (still on stock cooler)

·
#SavedTheCrew
2,644 Posts
Just a note:

Just because ram isn't listed on the compatibility list doesn't mean it's not going to work. I have actually never used memory that was listed on any sort of compatibility list.

As far as the socket 1156 goes, as long as the memory is stated to run at 1.65v, then it was made especially for P55 motherboards, which are only capable of supplying said voltage max.

·
Premium Member
8,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cavi
View Post

Just a note:

Just because ram isn't listed on the compatibility list doesn't mean it's not going to work. I have actually never used memory that was listed on any sort of compatibility list.

As far as the socket 1156 goes, as long as the memory is stated to run at 1.65v, then it was made especially for P55 motherboards, which are only capable of supplying said voltage max.

Thanks for the input!!

·
#SavedTheCrew
2,644 Posts
No problem!

I myself am planning on going i5 very soon (hopefully with a xmas bonus) so I've been planning my build for a long time now!

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
great parts choices (especially the revised mobo)

enjoy the new build

·
Registered
819 Posts
If you guy's do get the EVGA P55 FTW flash to the latest A39 bios.I had sound going out during gaming daily and read in the evga forum's to flash to that new bios and it fixed it.Also when you get it go to EVGA and get latest chip set and audio driver's from there they are newer than the one's on the disc.

·
Premium Member
8,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rightwing
View Post

If you guy's do get the EVGA P55 FTW flash to the latest A39 bios.I had sound going out during gaming daily and read in the evga forum's to flash to that new bios and it fixed it.Also when you get it go to EVGA and get latest chip set and audio driver's from there they are newer than the one's on the disc.

I will definitely flash it right away, I have been on the evga P55 forums and saw the bios sticky post. I am going to go ahead and download it now and burn it.

edit,

looks like the file isn't an iso but a .bat that you can run while in windows, nice!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts