Overclock.net banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who want the best bang for your buck and want to see where the AMD/ATI cards lie in terms of performance for boinc and the projects you can run.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpak12 View Post

6970 is so far down... and uses so much power!
sad-smiley-002.gif
I wish the 79XX cards were cheaper!
tongue.gif
lol
Thanks for the info Dark.
thumb.gif
#6 on the list... 250 watts...

You can REDUCE the power consumption a good bit by DOWN CLOCKING the memory... but be aware that on the HD6990 the minimum memory speed is tied to the GPU speed. For instance, at 925MHz, the minimum memory speed I can set is 800MHz and at 950MHz GPU speed, the minimum memory speed is 825MHz...

It will save heat and power downclocking the memory... and maybe you can reduce volts a bit too!

But, your card is fine... it's the same as 1/2 HD6990...

biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1954 View Post

#6 on the list... 250 watts...

You can REDUCE the power consumption a good bit by DOWN CLOCKING the memory... but be aware that on the HD6990 the minimum memory speed is tied to the GPU speed. For instance, at 925MHz, the minimum memory speed I can set is 800MHz and at 950MHz GPU speed, the minimum memory speed is 825MHz...

It will save heat and power downclocking the memory... and maybe you can reduce volts a bit too!

But, your card is fine... it's the same as 1/2 HD6990...

biggrin.gif
It certainly isn't bad, it just happens to have the worst "perfomance/watt" ratio for the top 10 cards at ~2.7 GFlops/W (in double-precision). But I'm just complaining for no reason, I'm very happy with my 6970s.
tongue.gif
The 7970 has the best, with 4.1 GFlops/W.
smile.gif

I did see your post (or was it a whole thread?) about lowering the memory clock, I'll have to look more into it before the Collatz portion of the Pentathlon.
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Well, so far, for Milkyway and Donate the HD6990 can run slow memory clocks with no penalty and reduce temps since these are Hot running projects. However, I'm running mini_collatz now and discovered it runs tons cooler at the same settings, but also it really slows down with a slow memory clock... Soo, it's running default 1250MHz mem clocks now, BUT, the temps are way LOWER than other projects... VReg around 63c now.

biggrin.gif

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1954 View Post

Well, so far, for Milkyway and Donate the HD6990 can run slow memory clocks with no penalty and reduce temps since these are Hot running projects. However, I'm running mini_collatz now and discovered it runs tons cooler at the same settings, but also it really slows down with a slow memory clock... Soo, it's running default 1250MHz mem clocks now, BUT, the temps are way LOWER than other projects... VReg around 63c now.
glancing through this topic i am intrigued by the lower memory clocks to lower heat. I tried lowering the memory clocks on my xfx 6870 using both msi afterburner and saphire trixx. GPU-Z reports no change in the memory speed, its constantly stuck at 1050mhz. Any ideas why?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts