Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My X61 fans seem to have conked out and now are rattling so was looking to switch back to air cooling.

Any recommendations for the best air coolers for an Evolve ATX TG with stock fan configuration (2X140mm front + rear 1X140mm) and an overclocked 4790K?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Doing some research on the various threads, I have kinda narrowed down to the Le Grand Macho RT or the new Dark Rock Pro 4 as they both have a good blend of looks, quietness and performance.
Any comments on either to make my decision easier? Also is the Le Grand Macho RT upgrade able with a better fan?

Had eliminated the Noctua NH-D15 as not really a fan of its looks and getting better looking fans/covers for it seems like an expensive venture.

Also not sure how the Cryorig R1 Ultimate or the Phanteks would fare but it does seem like the LGM RT and the Dark Rock Pro 4 are better in noise and performance. Any other coolers I am missing to consider?

·
Premium Member
27,126 Posts
Both are very good. Le Grand Macho RT is bigger and will fit with fan behind RAM while Dark Rock Pro 4 front fan fit's over RAM is RAM is not too tall.

The TY-147A fan on Le Grand Macho RT is about as good as they get. Only fan that might be better is be quiet! Silent Wings and it's very expensive for very little gain in cooling.

Evolv ATX TG comes with 3x fans that are basically PH-F140HP housing and motor with PH-F140MP impeller. Remove all PCIe back slot covers to improve rear vent area which improves front to back airflow around GPU keeping it's heated air moving back and out of case so it doesn't mix with and warm up the cool airflow coming in front of case.

What motherboard are you using? Just want to make sure cooler will clear x16 PCIe sockets and not block GPU placement.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both are very good. Le Grand Macho RT is bigger and will fit with fan behind RAM while Dark Rock Pro 4 front fan fit's over RAM is RAM is not too tall.

The TY-147A fan on Le Grand Macho RT is about as good as they get. Only fan that might be better is be quiet! Silent Wings and it's very expensive for very little gain in cooling.

Evolv ATX TG comes with 3x fans that are basically PH-F140HP housing and motor with PH-F140MP impeller. Remove all PCIe back slot covers to improve rear vent area which improves front to back airflow around GPU keeping it's heated air moving back and out of case so it doesn't mix with and warm up the cool airflow coming in front of case.

What motherboard are you using? Just want to make sure cooler will clear x16 PCIe sockets and not block GPU placement.
Thanks for the great input! Will remove the PCIe back slot covers.
Right now the dark rock pro 4 is on deal for $80 so basically makes price point the same between them in US. I do wonder if i change my build which would be a better cooler to support more mobos/RAM clearances.

Motherboard is MSI Z97 Gaming 5. Any inputs on future case fan upgrades for the Evolve ATX TG to improve air flow? OT but adding fans to the top is beneficial here with an air cooler?

·
Premium Member
27,126 Posts
Thanks for the great input! Will remove the PCIe back slot covers.
Right now the dark rock pro 4 is on deal for $80 so basically makes price point the same between them in US. I do wonder if i change my build which would be a better cooler to support more mobos/RAM clearances.

Motherboard is MSI Z97 Gaming 5. Any inputs on future case fan upgrades for the Evolve ATX TG to improve air flow? OT but adding fans to the top is beneficial here with an air cooler?
Both will fit Z97

Lower cost and basically just as good is TRUE Spirit 140 Power.

No need to do any thing to Evolv ATX TG except use the 2x front intakes, remove PCie slot covers and 1x rear fan are all that's needed. Run 1x front and rear on same fan speed control curve as CPU cooler fan. Run other on curve based on GPU temps.

I'm running one this way except with no rear exhaust fan and it's fine.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Both will fit Z97

No need to do any thing to Evolv ATX TG except use the 2x front intakes, remove PCie slot covers and 1x rear fan are all that's needed. Run 1x front and rear on same fan speed control curve as CPU cooler fan. Run other on curve based on GPU temps.

I'm running one this way except with no rear exhaust fan and it's fine.
Since I can't find a direct comparison between the two, would you be knowing which between the LGM RT vs the Dark Rock Pro 4 is quieter at load?

Thanks again for all your inputs! :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The TRUE Spirit 140 Power looks like a great suggestion as well but how does it compare against the LGM in terms of cooling or noise?

I have been leaning towards the LGM after reading through both the DRP 4 and LGM threads here. :)

·
Premium Member
27,126 Posts
Since I can't find a direct comparison between the two, would you be knowing which between the LGM RT vs the Dark Rock Pro 4 is quieter at load?

Thanks again for all your inputs! :)
I haven't tested Dark Rock Pro 4 but I don't think there is enough difference in noie level to hear it. Test results I've seen indicate DRP4 will not cool quite as well, but we are talking a couple degrees so not enough to make any differnece in normal use.

The TRUE Spirit 140 Power looks like a great suggestion as well but how does it compare against the LGM in terms of cooling or noise?

I have been leaning towards the LGM after reading through both the DRP 4 and LGM threads here. :)
TRUE Spirit 140 Power actually has a little more overall cooling ability becuase it has 6x 8mm heatpipes to move heat from CPU to fins, but it's smaller fin denser fin area mean airflow through fins is a little louder. Again, we are talking less than 3dB difference and human ear needs 3dB change for us to hear a difference in volume level.

I suggest the TRUE Spirit 140 Power because at $49.90 it is the best cooler for the money there is in USA .. it is $30-40 less money than others like NH-D15 and NH-D15S with better performance. Le Grand Macho RT, Dark Rock Pro 4, R1 .. nothing compares to it in it's price range. But it is both very tall and very wide.

Our OCN threads give a pretty accurate evaluation of coolers. I would venture to say they are a better way of evaluating products than commercial review sites because they are not as biased. We don't depend on getting free samples from companies but instead are usually buying our own, and there are several users here who have years of experience with many many different coolers .. often are or have been in reviewers for review sites. ;)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a ton for all the great input!!

Seems like the LGMRT is out of stock in US amazon so it looks like I may have to go with the TS140P if not restocked soon.

Does going 2 fans help with its cooling? Also how would the connections works with 2 fans? Does it require a PWM fan splitter?

·
Premium Member
27,126 Posts
Thanks a ton for all the great input!!

Seems like the LGMRT is out of stock in US amazon so it looks like I may have to go with the TS140P if not restocked soon.

Does going 2 fans help with its cooling? Also how would the connections works with 2 fans? Does it require a PWM fan splitter?
Yeah, NansGamingGear is on vacation. Website says until Jun 4th, but it's 7th and still not open. If it was me I would keep an eye on Amazon and get TS140P sooner rather than later because the Amazon ones are from Nans.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
warranty the fans or are they too old?
In process of RMA discussion with them. They are still trying to ascertain it is a fan issue and not a pump issue.

But after using an AIO for the past 4 years, I feel air cooling is still a better choice for noise

·
Premium Member
27,126 Posts
In process of RMA discussion with them. They are still trying to ascertain it is a fan issue and not a pump issue.

But after using an AIO for the past 4 years, I feel air cooling is still a better choice for noise
Indeed, air cooling is better than CLC cooling. In fact I know several long time users of custom loops that have come back to air in recent years. Custom loops are more a hobby than a need for better cooling. Sure, we may gain a few MHz at same temp on a good custom loop, but that's a few minutes an hour of serious rendering that most of us don't even do, so those few MHz are just bragging rights, not at really needed for anything.

Just keep in mind for a good air cooler to work well we need to optimize case airflow .. meaning checking air temp into coolers and setting up intake fans and exhaust venting so coolers get cool air .. but good case iarflow is needed with CLC or custom loops so non-water cooled components get cool air. :p

·
Registered
1,115 Posts

depends on the fans really. so long as the case/ram clearance can fit it then there are plenty of large 140mm fan air coolers to choose from to give similar cooling performance as your AIO.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Indeed, air cooling is better than CLC cooling. In fact I know several long time users of custom loops that have come back to air in recent years. Custom loops are more a hobby than a need for better cooling. Sure, we may gain a few MHz at same temp on a good custom loop, but that's a few minutes an hour of serious rendering that most of us don't even do, so those few MHz are just bragging rights, not at really needed for anything.

Just keep in mind for a good air cooler to work well we need to optimize case airflow .. meaning checking air temp into coolers and setting up intake fans and exhaust venting so coolers get cool air .. but good case iarflow is needed with CLC or custom loops so non-water cooled components get cool air. :p
Would changing the position of the front 2X140mm fans on the Evolve ATX to be higher (occupy top and middle position instead of bottom and lower position) improve the air flow with an air cooler?

·
Premium Member
27,126 Posts
Would changing the position of the front 2X140mm fans on the Evolve ATX to be higher (occupy top and middle position instead of bottom and lower position) improve the air flow with an air cooler?
Mounted all the way up, but if you have HDD in bottom set fans down enough to flow some air through bottom or put an 80mm fan at bottom. 2x 140mm and 1x 80 fit nicely. I would close off any openings in fan mounting plate now covered by fan to keep all air fans are pushing into case from leaking back into the front.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mounted all the way up, but if you have HDD in bottom set fans down enough to flow some air through bottom or put an 80mm fan at bottom. 2x 140mm and 1x 80 fit nicely. I would close off any openings in fan mounting plate now covered by fan to keep all air fans are pushing into case from leaking back into the front.
1X80 mm at the bottom sounds good even though i have no HDDs, just SSDs only mounted at the back of the case. Any recommendations on a 80mm fan to use here?

·
Premium Member
27,126 Posts
1X80 mm at the bottom sounds good even though i have no HDDs, just SSDs only mounted at the back of the case. Any recommendations on a 80mm fan to use here?
Arctic F8 would be fine, but with nothing down there I wouldn't bother.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,207 Posts
I'm running the 140MPs in the top two positions with an Arctic F8 mounted on the bottom. Moving the fans up does a nice job in getting more air to the main chamber of the case. I was able to drop fan speeds ~125 rpm with no loss in performance, or could leave them p the ~125 and see a measurable performance increase. But, as @doyll stated, if you have no HHDs down below, adding an 80mm will do absolutely nothing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts