Overclock.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been messing around with several different Torrent downloaders like Bitorrent, Azureus and UTorrent. I can't really decent download speeds for the most part. I have changed the port number as described in the stickied guide, as well as using speed tests to help determine my up/down speeds. Can anyone give me any other tips? I don't have a NAT problem either, as I am connected directly to the internet. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,607 Posts
Im guessing your ISP is throttling ports for torrents, so no luck with that. My ISP Rogers Yahoo! Canada throttled my ports, im downloading movies at a maximum if 10kbs.. =|

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
What kind of speeds are you getting? And what torrents have you tried so far? I would recommend trying this torrent as a test since it currently has over 10,000 seeds. If you don't max out your connection with that then something's definately wrong and we'll take it from there. BTW attached was my speed with that torrent earlier today.

·
Premium Member
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay well that torrent you linked is currenty going around 360 kb/s, which is a LOT better then my other torrents. I know my connection is still capable of more though. It is a 6mb cable. Are there any tweaks that I can do to increase speeds? I'm now going to make seaching for torrents with a lot of seeds a priority too, thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
I have lots of problems with Torrents, No matter what, Even if its the most popular Torrent EVER (Where the top30 list of Torrents is, Which I won't mention) I still max out around 150KBPS.

Thats what I hate about BT, Jealousy gets the best of me, Because I'll usually get like 20-30KBPS down, But something like 700-850KBPS UP! I get pissed and limit my upload to like 5KBPS, Which will then cause my down to drop to about 5-10KBPS.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Did you open the connection limitation that's built into Windows XP Service Pack 2? If unsure, read this quote to verify...it's a how-to on doing it. It increased my download rate by doing so. I set mine to 50, some people set theirs to 100. To each their own! (Original is 10 half-open)

Quote:

Windows XP service pack 2 limits the amount of connections that can be opening at once. This can have an impact on the performance of P2P applications, and may also make the initial connection to the network somewhat slow.

Here's a patch that removes the SP2 limit:
Direct Download

Hope this helps somewhat,
Xaine99

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
I tried that a while back, Tried 50, 100, 70, All same issue, Only difference was everytime I loaded up Bit-torrent I had more hope then each time before...

LOL

·
Premium Member
5,607 Posts
Shawn, this is because Rogers is throttling ports for Torrents... Sucks just havin rogers around for cable doesnt it. =(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts